Post-Game Talk: Boyd Gordon loses to the Canucks 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle played disgustingly bad last night. Should've moved him for O'Reilly or another center when we had the chance.

One dimensional player and I've always said so. Looks good against weaker opponents in offensive end and is pretty much shutdown by good physical, and system play. To make matters worse any team is basically shorthanded with him on the ice in own zone. He's easily the worst forward on the club for own zone play aside from maybe Mike Brown who can at least play physical.

Eberle isn't very strong. Very easy player to play against. When his hands aren't going he's a liability out there.

I wonder if we could've got better stock in trade at his peak then what this player will pan out to be. Scouting reports now say take the body with Eberle and he tends to have a hard time.

AssistantCaptain*

Yakupov, and Schultz above Hall on hockey IQ?

...okay, then. ABSURD.

It's easier for me to recall praising yak and schultz for making an impressive play/pass. What puts him ahead of those two? How much thought goes into halls plays? I honestly don't know. And from what I've seen over the last 3 years he has 1 move in his arsenal. Simple juke to the inside on the defender. It's becoming more and more ineffective after dmen began recognizing it. Widen stance, quick stall, execute, get tied up.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Have people mentioned that Taylor Hall was -4 last night and had zero pts in addition to looking confused all night?

Glad this Center experiment is likely to be over soon. Taylor should have a new respect for what the position entails. He has been completely owned so far this season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's easier for me to recall praising yak and schultz for making an impressive play/pass. What puts him ahead of those two? How much thought goes into halls plays? I honestly don't know. And from what I've seen over the last 3 years he has 1 move in his arsenal. Simple juke to the inside on the defender. It's becoming more and more ineffective after dmen began recognizing it. Widen stance, quick stall, execute, get tied up.

Yakupov doesn't have a clue what he's doing out there. Still figuring out the NHL game, took him 30 games to get some kind of stride and confidence last year which is understandable but he's far worse this year. Snakebit, zero confidence in his shot, is passning the puck horribly. Virtually 80% of his passes are being forced and resulting in turnovers. He needs to get an earful because he is not valuing puck possession in the slightest.

I'd like people to contrast two players right now. Perron and Yak. When nothing is available Perron will rag puck in offensive zone and find open ice. He'll play keep a way and challenge defenders and work towards getting an opening. Yak will have the puck on his stick, see that nothing is there, and force a pass..:help:

Count the number of times in a game that Yak does this and you'll figure out why he's getting benched.

The Perfect Human*

Yakupov, and Schultz above Hall on hockey IQ?

...okay, then. ABSURD.

I feel all 3 are on the same level.

Yakupov and Hall are quite similar with the puck and without the puck.

Justin Schultz is brilliant with the puck, at an Eberle-like level - but he's so clueless without it that it's downright scary he gets top-4 minutes. It scares the hell ouft of me that we're feeding a defenseman like this the type of minutes he's getting at ES.

AssistantCaptain*

Pairing a raw superstar talent with third line players would hinder progress and success as much as moving a natural Lw to center IMO.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Yakupov doesn't have a clue what he's doing out there. Still figuring out the NHL game, took him 30 games to get some kind of stride and confidence last year which is understandable but he's far worse this year. Snakebit, zero confidence in his shot, is passning the puck horribly. Virtually 80% of his passes are being forced and resulting in turnovers. He needs to get an earful because he is not valuing puck possession in the slightest.

I'd like people to contrast two players right now. Perron and Yak. When nothing is available Perron will rag puck in offensive zone and find open ice. He'll play keep a way and challenge defenders and work towards getting an opening. Yak will have the puck on his stick, see that nothing is there, and force a pass..:help:

Count the number of times in a game that Yak does this and you'll figure out why he's getting benched.

Described Yak to a tee. He has been a disappointment in the first 2 games. He won't be off the third line for a long while yet.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Have people mentioned that Taylor Hall was -4 last night and had zero pts in addition to looking confused all night?

Glad this Center experiment is likely to be over soon. Taylor should have a new respect for what the position entails. He has been completely owned so far this season.

So what? People have long mused about putting Hall at C and with our top two centres injured this was the ideal time to try it out. Even if he did get "owned" why wouldn't you try this experiment now? He'll still have to take draws from time to time and the experience could be a valuable lesson.

Really don't understand why you would be critical of that experiment at this time.

The Perfect Human*

So what? People have long mused about putting Hall at C and with our top two centres injured this was the ideal time to try it out. Even if he did get "owned" why wouldn't you try this experiment now? He'll still have to take draws from time to time and the experience could be a valuable lesson.

Really don't understand why you would be critical of that experiment at this time.

One positive that's come from the experiment is that Hall should be taking FO's on that first line. I know RNH wants to be that quintessential C - but he's too low-% of a FO guy to be taking draws when Hall can comfortably win them at 51-52%.

Line up with Hall at C, but when play is active play your positions.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

We had to do something obviously. It is disappointing how poorly its gone. I don't think anybody thought it was going to go all that well but this bad?

Trouble as well is that with Hall out of position (RNH out of lineup) its pretty much outed the continuing liabilities in Eberle's game. With Gagner gone its emphasized how hopeless Yaks game currently is.

Its not just Hall, its that our whole topsix is out of sync and the only forwards going are the recruits, Gordon, Perron, Joensuu. Its interesting how complete strangers to the team can step in and be way more effective than guys that have been here for years. Disappointing really.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe because they all played in systems last year whereas our top six was subjected to Wiggum-ism.

This is part of my point. But the other part being that these players did not avail themselves to system play and the coach said so.

To wit Krueger was on record stating last year that the star players on this club only seemed interested in learning about system play after a string of losses. This is one of the actual statements. Not much or any reading between the lines is required to denote that these stars haven't felt it completely necessary to learn systems. I'll add the suggestion that theres a certain avarice, even arrogance that have prevented them from doing so.

Which leaves us with the confused mess that our star players presently are. Am I going to blast these players for their overconfidence and feelings that they're better than system players? Damn straight I am. Because w see the results, that players well below them in draft pedigree are much more effective playing hockey than them. That our recruits quite easily look better than our premium star players.

Interesting times.

AssistantCaptain*

Welcome to HF OIL. Maybe 5% of the total posts here equate to something intelligent. All you people posting give me great content, keep it up! Brown > Eberle:help:

I'm a part of the 5 percent! :handclap:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am tired of cleaning this thread. Seems like most have gotten their complaints out from the last game so I am closing this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad