Proposal: boychuk + komarov + a future to detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
the Isles ECF appearance was a huge mirage...without Covid the isles would not of made the playoffs at all.

Then thru a goofy system the isles played the worst team in the tournament the florida panthers

If the isles had met Boston, Carolina or Columbus in the first round they would of been swept.

They barely beat a pitiful Flyers team.
The Isles play a system that works in the playoffs. They did not win as many games as they did because "no one wanted to be there" or "how do we get out of the bubble". The Rangers were given LaF as a booby prize for their "appearance" in the playoffs.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Their cap situation is very overblown. At least they're able to roll four lines and three pairs without having to have bare minimum 3rd and 4th liners while constantly changing up their forwards and defense on a yearly basis. That's a recipe for success right there.

I can guarantee that if your team ever gets out of the first round you'd be ecstatic. It'd be seen as "progress" and there would be less whining then there usually is, "Oh, we had to play better teams in the first round then other teams". "We actually played well enough to win, just didn't" or any of the other absurd takes, "Our corsifenwickpdo was awesome".

We'll see. I think the Leafs could be dangerous if they get out of the first round and don't have to play a strong defensive team throughout the playoffs.

Right, it's possible he might be the first Russian goalie in the last ten years to come over and not be immediately impactful. It's as possible as Lee and Tavares becoming speed-skaters. I mean, I guess you're right. He's just as heralded as Jack Campbell, an 11th pick overall that's managed to....well...he's managed to...play in the NHL. Yeah, he's got that going for him, which is nice. Sorokin could bust just the same.

Yeah, it's more like four if you count the play-in as a round. Hasn't been 16 years since they won a round though

Let's be clear here, all 4 Leaf lines last season outscored Islanders lines. Leafs just traded a 3rd line winger for an elite prospect and one of the Pens best prospect so they can play that winger on the 1st line.. On top of that, why are you basing a 4th line player's talent on a cap hit? Many of the 700-1 million players took less to play in Toronto, so it doesn't accurately determine their value. For instance, Joe Thornton makes 2.3 less this season than Leo Komorov. He' s far better than Komorov and it's not even close.Spezza at 700K last year was better Players like Komorov should never be getting 4 years, 3 milion per from any GM. Without that deal Isles likely have Toews. The worst thing you can do is overpay a 4th liner.
And no, Isles cap situation is not overblown at all. They don't have Barzal signed and have so many unmoveable contracts. More than any team.
I know the reaction of when my team made the ECF. It was "The cup only matters".
Also, Jack Campbell is viewed as a good backup, not what you are telling me about Sorokin.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Let's be clear here, all 4 Leaf lines last season outscored Islanders lines. Leafs just traded a 3rd line winger for an elite prospect and one of the Pens best prospect so they can play that winger on the 1st line.. On top of that, why are you basing a 4th line player's talent on a cap hit? Many of the 700-1 million players took less to play in Toronto, so it doesn't accurately determine their value. For instance, Joe Thornton makes 2.3 less this season than Leo Komorov. He' s far better than Komorov and it's not even close.Spezza at 700K last year was better Players like Komorov should never be getting 4 years, 3 milion per from any GM. Without that deal Isles likely have Toews. The worst thing you can do is overpay a 4th liner.
And no, Isles cap situation is not overblown at all. They don't have Barzal signed and have so many unmoveable contracts. More than any team.
I know the reaction of when my team made the ECF. It was "The cup only matters".
Also, Jack Campbell is viewed as a good backup, not what you are telling me about Sorokin.
do you realize guys like komorov do things to make a hockey team better than old guys like thorton and spezza cant ? and that a hockey players value isnt just based on how many points hes directly responsible for ? do you realize that the nyi march out players like komorov in effort to make it very difficult for opponants to score against them ?

Reactions: notDatsyuk

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
do you realize guys like komorov do things to make a hockey team better than old guys like thorton and spezza cant ? and that a hockey players value isnt just based on how many points hes directly responsible for ? do you realize that the nyi march out players like komorov in effort to make it very difficult for opponants to score against them ?
Leo's own coach makes him a healthy scratch...Thornton and Spezza are better, and both 2.3 million cheaper. Spare me the stuff about "He does things that don't show on the scoresheet. When the game mattered his coach scratched him in game 7. Leo was getting scratched by the Leafs in game 7 3 years ago. It's still happening on the Islanders.
Lou would dump that terrible deal in an nanosecond if he could.
Again, Toews is gone beacuse of deals like that. You can never move them. Overpaying for 4th liners is the worst. And cap hits do not tell the story of value for a 4th liner.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If you think Boychuk is dog crap, you have never seen him play. I hope Lou finds a way to let him play one more year, then join the coaching staff.

Boychuk is 36 and is undeniably slowing down. Maybe dogcrap is harsh... but in a flat cap world, I'm not interested in giving up a big part of the Wings flexibility to take on Jonny Boychuk at the end of his career unless you're giving me something dynamite. Cap space should be a massive asset right now. If the cap were still going up the next couple years? Hell yeah, sign me up for a reliable veteran and a 2nd. But when you're the guy who's got $100 at the end of the day at a garage sale and the person needs to sell their vintage record player that is worth $500 and you're the only one with the money, you don't buy a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos and a scratchy lottery for $25.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Boychuk is 36 and is undeniably slowing down. Maybe dogcrap is harsh... but in a flat cap world, I'm not interested in giving up a big part of the Wings flexibility to take on Jonny Boychuk at the end of his career unless you're giving me something dynamite. Cap space should be a massive asset right now. If the cap were still going up the next couple years? Hell yeah, sign me up for a reliable veteran and a 2nd. But when you're the guy who's got $100 at the end of the day at a garage sale and the person needs to sell their vintage record player that is worth $500 and you're the only one with the money, you don't buy a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos and a scratchy lottery for $25.
I completely understand every else you are saying. Call Leo trash all day long.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
But yet, you did not go anywhere near as far in the playoffs as the Islanders. The trend continues, despite the boy genius GM.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Leo's own coach makes him a healthy scratch...Thornton and Spezza are better, and both 2.3 million cheaper. Spare me the stuff about "He does things that don't show on the scoresheet. When the game mattered his coach scratched him in game 7. Leo was getting scratched by the Leafs in game 7 3 years ago. It's still happening on the Islanders.
Lou would dump that terrible deal in an nanosecond if he could.
Again, Toews is gone beacuse of deals like that. You can never move them. Overpaying for 4th liners is the worst. And cap hits do not tell the story of value for a 4th liner.

Of cource Thornton and Spezza are better , but if You look at the bubble playoff , Spezza and the Leafs dont want to play in the bubble , which was a bit suprised when they have the bubble in Toronto ,game 5 they refused to score on an average goolie. An other goolie Rask in Boston leave the bubble and Boston go down, Washington was an other team who has players with bad motivation (Eller). And then if You look at Komarov he came in to the bubble with 70 stitch in his face and after game 6 against Tampa , when he was the only player with TOI <10 min he first thanks the fans and second the wife
she gave birth to a child . Motivation always beats class.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Of cource Thornton and Spezza are better , but if You look at the bubble playoff , Spezza and the Leafs dont want to play in the bubble , which was a bit suprised when they have the bubble in Toronto ,game 5 they refused to score on an average goolie. An other goolie Rask in Boston leave the bubble and Boston go down, Washington was an other team who has players with bad motivation (Eller). And then if You look at Komarov he came in to the bubble with 70 stitch in his face and after game 6 against Tampa , when he was the only player with TOI <10 min he first thanks the fans and second the wife

It doesn't matter what you think he is, in that game and series he was superb and elite. Calling Korpisalo and"average" does not tell you how he played. Freddy Andersen was the 3rd best goalie in that series and he has the reputation to be considered the best of the 3.
And just because a team losses, doesn't mean they did not want to play. Spezza certainly did. In game 4 he started a fight down 3-0.

You can dress-it-up anyway you wish bit Leo is a bad contract and not a good player. Ok, he played with stictches in his face and "works hard". He's a dime a dozen 4th liner who;s overpaid.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Maybe the easiest possibility is Boychuck, Komarov, & 2 2nds for Nielsen? That lets the Isles buy out Nielsen. Boychuck and Nielsen have the same contract length but Detroit pays out a lot less money on that pairing.

The Isles end up saving about $5 million in cap.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
No one said that. Outscoring all four of the Islander lines during the regular season, what cup does that get you??

A cup of soup with that hat Whitey! Or no soup for you if you want to go another direction . . .

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
For all the talk of Komarov being some sort of veteran shut down machine in the playoffs, it's kind of strange that Trotz is sheltering him with almost 60% offensive zone starts and he's still getting outshot by a large margin no? Guys like Barzal have to get saddled with 40% O-zone starts so Trotz can protect Komarov from getting caved in yet again.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
For all the talk of Komarov being some sort of veteran shut down machine in the playoffs, it's kind of strange that Trotz is sheltering him with almost 60% offensive zone starts and he's still getting outshot by a large margin no? Guys like Barzal have to get saddled with 40% O-zone starts so Trotz can protect Komarov from getting caved in yet again.
If Komorov was so important he wouldn't be getting scratched in game 7. He's a fringe NHl player at this point., And how the hell did he get 4 years for 3 million per? He needs to get bought-out.

1FreakZilla3

Jan 2, 2014
Oshawa
similar type deal to what the leafs did with marleau, 1st round then adding in komarov your looking at a 2nd, now add them all togbether and give the wings a reason to do it,a solid prospect added (icing on the cake) if not then i dont see detroit going out of their way to help the isles.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
So you trash a team that went much further then yours?
Doesn’t make much sense.[/QUOTEisHow is thsi trashing the Islanders? Komorov is a bad contract and it seems people are desperate to bring out the Don Cherry cliches about him.
Went further than the Leafs? PLAN THE PARADE!!!

Reactions: 1FreakZilla3

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think at this point Ladd going on IR is all that's going to be needed to get under the cap and Barzal signed. Something like Komarov and a 2nd to Jersey should be enough to sign Martin and Greene. Then the Isles are "whole", which really isn't ideal. Ideal would be being able to get a scoring winger but thanks to both Garth and Lou there's a couple contracts that can't be shed easily.

Still, rather have the team as is (with a full year of Dobson and Sorokin). Have to structure next season where Seattle takes on some of our salary. It's still a team that can go a couple of rounds in the playoffs, which is more than what 20 some-odd teams can say.

We'll obviously see in the 40, 48, 58 gm or whatever kind of season the NHL manages to put together

Last edited:

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
We actually played games that mattered, you know, beyond the first round. Leo is what he is, not important. Is Thornton going to be this year's Marleau?

Leo is not important. Just tiresome hearing people pretend a fringe and overpaid 4th liner is some important piece.
Thornton had a good year last year given his usage.
The cup is all that matters. Islanders failed.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Leo is not important. Just tiresome hearing people pretend a fringe and overpaid 4th liner is some important piece.
The Leafs seem stuck, the question is when are they going to get out of the first round. I had a blast watching the Isles go as far as they did, despite their losing the same two important pieces(Czikas and Pelech) that caused their swoon during the regular season. Good luck next year.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

We are all kinda tired about hearing a Leaf's fans strategy on making it past the first round as well. How 'bout you do you and we'll do us. You can keep adding veteran character guys and hope the young primadonnas on your team will eventually start to listen all you want. We already have a locker room built for winning and as ineffective as Leo is on the ice these days, he's still part of that. I saw Leaf's fans last year lamenting his loss and talking about his importance on these boards. Again, not worth debating with you though. Just root for the moves you want with your own team and keep watching our games when your team is eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad