Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, and other prospects that didn't pan out

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The big one that I can think of is PA Parenteau. For a more recent example, Yanni Gourde was also a 25 year old rookie. One of the biggest reasons why I think Carrick could be a solid NHLer is because like Parenteau, he is highly productive in the minors but was jammed in deep farm systems. I totally could see him flourishing in a bottom-pairing role in SJ.
Laurel Gourde is highly underrated.

Reactions: Hockyluv21

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The big one that I can think of is PA Parenteau. For a more recent example, Yanni Gourde was also a 25 year old rookie. One of the biggest reasons why I think Carrick could be a solid NHLer is because like Parenteau, he is highly productive in the minors but was jammed in deep farm systems. I totally could see him flourishing in a bottom-pairing role in SJ.
For every one of the Parenteaus or Gourdes, there's like at least 3-4 TJ Brennan, Keith Aucoin, etc type guys. It's just hard to tell, but the stats say if you don't break into the NHL full time by a certain age, you most likely never will regardless of how much depth there is in your current or previous organization.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
For every one of the Parenteaus or Gourdes, there's like at least 3-4 TJ Brennan, Keith Aucoin, etc type guys. It's just hard to tell, but the stats say if you don't break into the NHL full time by a certain age, you most likely never will regardless of how much depth there is in your current or previous organization.

My point is that it does happen from time to time, and just because it doesn't happen as often doesn't mean that it's bad for a team like San Jose to take a shot. Honestly I really liked that trade for both teams.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Forwards are one thing, but there have been a number of people on this board who watched him (that's not me though) that say he's bad defensively. Half of his 38 assists came on the PP and I'm not sure he'll get that opportunity in the NHL, so if it's true that he isn't good defensively, how will he get a chance on a bottom pairing?

I'm asking this out of ignorance since I don't watch him much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad