Bowen: 'Maple Leafs will win Stanley Cup this season'

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Next year? Unlikely unless a major piece is added to the backend. Within 5 years? I'm confident that this team will get there. Bowen is a huge homer though, he doesn't exactly hide it either, which is fine. He loves the Leafs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bowen says the same thing almost every Leaf season that this is "the one" :wg:

"Holy Mackinaw!" you could set your watch to Bowen's prediction.

I wonder if Bowen no longer calling Leaf games, and this thread are somehow connected in some way, where objectivity came into play.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's obviously being a homer, but with even a slight step forward from Dermott and Rielly (who already made strides last year), this team becomes a very high favourite.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nothing wrong with predictions. My own would fall within five years more than it would this season, but sports aren't easily predictable. It's also not as if we'd be looking at a climb of worst to first in the event the Leafs were to win it all this season. I always appreciate Bowen's passion and enthusiasm for the sport and the team. He's one of the greats in his field, IMO.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Within 5 years is completely reasonable. This season is a bit too optimistic, but I would enjoy it as well. :D

Winning it for the next 5 years straight sounds perfect!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If nothing else I hope the team can do it in the near future so I can have Bowen going nuts on the radio while it happens.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Oh geez, Jim Hunt always called the Argos to win the Grey Cup in July, please Joe don't jinx us

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Funny timing that he says that right after this 5 year extension...

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nothing wrong with this. John Garrett has picked the Canucks every year for the past 30 years (no joke).

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
2016 - Playoff Tease Midseason --- Last Place

2017 - "Won't make playoffs" --- Took the current Champs to Gm 6

2018 - Played our worst EVER + nonstop Bad Luck --- Took Boston to Gm7 and likely tired them out for a fresh Tampa

2019 - No Komorov, No Polak, No Martin ( Speed and skill went up ) No JVR/Bozak ( D Zone time down )
Tavares/Matthews/Kadri means one line will ALWAYS be scorching another teams weaker line.
More TOI for Nylander/Marner + added Playoff Grit
More TOI for Johnsson/Kappanen + promising talent

Babcock having no plug to use anymore and likely learned his lessons vs Bruins
Learned he can't lean on Freddy like last season
Hainsey isnt a Duracell battery

I'd say with some luck, and how we are trending leaps and bounds ( See above ), we may very well be in the SCF.
Its not absurd at all this year.
Its actually absurd if we don't get past 1st round and somewhat the same with the second.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd say with some luck, and how we are trending leaps and bounds ( See above ), we may very well be in the SCF.
Its not absurd at all this year.
Its actually absurd if we don't get past 1st round and somewhat the same with the second.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Probably every team in the league is a dog to get past the second round. That said, I believe that our cup chances are about as good as anyone else this season.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Love his calls but he needs to stick to that rather than making bold projections.

The NHL regular season is a grind and if a player like Andersen goes down we might be praying for Hughes. Do I like our team sure, do we have a shot-no doubt but I look at our D corps and the rest of the NHL's elite teams and there is a lot of uncertainty there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad