Confirmed with Link: Bouma, Jooris, and Byron file for arbitration. UPDATE: everyone has signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We just had a talk in the armchair thread on why Philly doesn't need any stop gap defense. Hell they already have too many defenseman as it is. Most are crap but that's not the point. They have a ton of young guys coming up and no room.

Don't know if Russell would be a stop-gap, though. They aren't going to suddenly turn-over their D-corps to 6 prospects over the next few years. Maybe 4 at most.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Don't know if Russell would be a stop-gap, though. They aren't going to suddenly turn-over their D-corps to 6 prospects over the next few years. Maybe 4 at most.

Kris Russell has his niche here; I don’t know if he’ll be able to fit in with that niche in many other places.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Kris Russell has his niche here; I don’t know if he’ll be able to fit in with that niche in many other places.

I think his niche is useful anywhere; he's a good shot blocker, good skater, decent pass, gains the zone pretty well. At bare minimum I can't think of a single team that wouldn't be able to use him on their bottom pairing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Last year, Russell spent parts of the year on the third pairing, second pairing and top pairing. He had no one niche where he needed to be to be effective. I think he's pretty adaptable.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Okay, thats still ignoring the fact they don't have room for him.

Streit $5.25M
MacDonald $5.0M
Del Zotto $3.875M
Schenn $3.6M
Medvedev $3.0M
Schultz $2.25M
Gudas $.992M

Plus Hagg, Gostisbehere, Morin, Sanheim, Provorov coming soon. The only two that are signed for less than a year are Schenn and Medvedev (and Gudas is an RFA).

So where exactly does Russell fit in when he needs a raise and they already have too many defensemen? I won't argue that he wouldn't be a clear upgrade on most of them. Thats not the point. Why would they give up their most valuable forward after Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds (and maybe, maybe Couturier) for something they don't even really have room for? And can't guarantee he will sign with them after his contract is up?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay, thats still ignoring the fact they don't have room for him.

Streit $5.25M
MacDonald $5.0M
Del Zotto $3.875M
Schenn $3.6M
Medvedev $3.0M
Schultz $2.25M
Gudas $.992M

Plus Hagg, Gostisbehere, Morin, Sanheim, Provorov coming soon. The only two that are signed for less than a year are Schenn and Medvedev (and Gudas is an RFA).

So where exactly does Russell fit in when he needs a raise and they already have too many defensemen? I won't argue that he wouldn't be a clear upgrade on most of them. Thats not the point. Why would they give up their most valuable forward after Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds (and maybe, maybe Couturier) for something they don't even really have room for?
Agreed, we would have to take a terrible contract to make it work

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just sitting here by my Byron-mas tree waiting for Byron-mas.

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows Byron-mas doesn't have a tree. Instead, much like Festivus:

Festvius_Poles_296x264.jpg

It has a pole.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I believe it's actually referred to as a Byron-mas post. :laugh:

Was hitting posts part of celebrating Byron-mas? I thought it was the ceremonial beating of the pads that was the Byron-mas thing to do. :)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
One thing I want to stress about Paul Byron, btw. Over the last three years, when he's been on the ice on the penalty-kill, the Flames score 33.3% of the goals. To put that in perspective, last season there were 168 shorthanded and 1403 powerplay goals. That means that on average, the shorthanded unit scores only 10.7% of the goals.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
One thing I want to stress about Paul Byron, btw. Over the last three years, when he's been on the ice on the penalty-kill, the Flames score 33.3% of the goals. To put that in perspective, last season there were 168 shorthanded and 1403 powerplay goals. That means that on average, the shorthanded unit scores only 10.7% of the goals.
but what were the PK percentages with him. SH goals are great, but of the PK% is down with him on the ice it's not really worth it IMO. Now I am not saying it is down with him on the ice, I honestly have no idea.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
but what were the PK percentages with him. SH goals are great, but of the PK% is down with him on the ice it's not really worth it IMO. Now I am not saying it is down with him on the ice, I honestly have no idea.

He also has the best shot-suppression out of any Flame on the PK over those three seasons. PK% with him on the ice is more important, though. I need to find those stats.

But I'm confused by what you mean about a low PK% not making it worth it. Scoring a shorthanded goal is worth just as much as not allowing a PP goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad