Bouillon over Beaulieu: Why?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
We've won six out of seven and Cube is a -4 over that stretch, worst on the team. Okay he scored a heroic goal vs Ottawa. But might we have better options at defence?

Assuming Beaulieu is staying down because he's being punished for something ('attitude' being the rumour); how much longer does the kid have to stay in the doghouse?

Finally, if MT pairing Bouillon with Subban because he wants to 'balance' the pairings, isn't that seriously dragging Subban down?

Go Habs Go !!!

idk

Jan 11, 2012
We have a limited number of call-ups from Hamilton (four I think, though Bournival might have eaten one of them - was that officially a conditioning stint). Leaving Beaulieu down (a) ensures that he gets ample playing time with the Dogs and (b) gives us the most flexibility going forward. Once the AHL season is over (since the Dogs will be out of the playoffs) I imagine he'll be added to the squad.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
We have a limited number of call-ups from Hamilton (four I think, though Bournival might have eaten one of them - was that officially a conditioning stint). Leaving Beaulieu down (a) ensures that he gets ample playing time with the Dogs and (b) gives us the most flexibility going forward. Once the AHL season is over (since the Dogs will be out of the playoffs) I imagine he'll be added to the squad.

Yep, he'll be called up as soon as Hamilton's done their season.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
For reference: NHL regular season ends Apr 13, playoffs start Apr 16; AHL regular season ends Apr 20, no playoffs for the Bulldogs.

Yep, he'll be called up as soon as Hamilton's done their season.

I guess my feeling is Beaulieu would contribute and benefit more given NHL games down the stretch.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
For reference: NHL regular season ends Apr 13, playoffs start Apr 16; AHL regular season ends Apr 20, no playoffs for the Bulldogs.

I guess my feeling is Beaulieu would contribute and benefit more given NHL games down the stretch.

Betchya he's about to come back:D

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
HFBoard Hab fan logic: "We're winning. Nothing to change!"

Bouillion over Beaulieu because he has more "character".

Analyzer*

Therrien has coached Bouillon since junior and hasn't seen that he's still terrible.

Bouillon scored that ot goal, so he gets infinite chances to be terrible.

Oct 22, 2012
Lookup prospect reports on Beaulieu since Olympic break. He has been awful. Call it him not caring about AHL or call it what you want, but to stick in the NHL you prove yourself. Pacioretty went through the same thing, except he continued strong play in Hamilton.

Frankie does leave a lot to be desired, I agree, but don't let a small sample size from Nathan cloud your judgement. He will be called up for playoffs like last year but as of right now he is showing that he's not ready.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Lookup prospect reports on Beaulieu since Olympic break. He has been awful. Call it him not caring about AHL or call it what you want, but to stick in the NHL you prove yourself. Pacioretty went through the same thing, except he continued strong play in Hamilton.

Frankie does leave a lot to be desired, I agree, but don't let a small sample size from Nathan cloud your judgement. He will be called up for playoffs like last year but as of right now he is showing that he's not ready.

Desire and attitude can make or break a man. He may of thought by his decent showing up here that he belongs with the big boys and when he was sent down he thought he was too good for this... you take your foot off the accelerator and you lose all momentum and then cop a tude...not good--all assumptions I know, but the rumors about his attitude are out there

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Not sure about what management thinks of Beaulieu but you get that impression they will move him if they have a chance at getting a player they want

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Not sure about what management thinks of Beaulieu but you get that impression they will move him if they have a chance at getting a player they want
Hope not. Unless the guy is legit superstar I do not want to lose another potential McDonagh for another Gomez--MB probably will not pull a trade like that but...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
#1 As soon as Gorges is back, we probably won't see Bouillon or Beaulieu in the line-up unless there's another injury.

#2 Building with the kids and playing Bouillon over Beaulieu is a non-sense

#3 Therrien :shakehead Playing a 7-8th D-men with our 1st-2nd D-men is a recipe for failure. Bouillon made a terrible turnover in each of his last 2.....Beaulieu should've got the call. Even Pateryn should've got the call too, he's having a great season apparently.

But we win, let's move on the to playoff!!
Let's hope Gorges will be back soon.

idk

Jan 11, 2012

And I tend to agree. But again we have the four player limit (excepting emergencies - I don't know how that works) until the end of April. Does the benefit (mostly to Beaulieu's personal development, since the team seems to be winning just fine without him) outweigh the risk of potential roster issues later on? Especially given that his play in the AHL has been less than stellar?

It's no different than yo-yoing a player for cap purposes. I'm sure the players don't like it, but is does the player little harm in the long run and there's a benefit to the team.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
HFBoard Hab fan logic: "We're winning. Nothing to change!"

Bouillion over Beaulieu because he has more "character".

Who's said that in this thread? No one. But you like attention. If you stopped trying so hard to appear smart--you would be.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Can someone confirm so far Habs have used none of their four post-trade deadline AHL callups?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If you want to know my opinion; if someone should not be dressed right now among all d-men who were in uniform yesterday; it's Tinordi.

The guy is hilariously tentative out there. I know I'm a huge fan of Murray and that a lot of people here advocate playing Jarred before Douglas, but Tinordi has to learn a thing or two about killing the play along the boards. It's not ok to see him lose a stopped one-on-one battle along the boards against Matt D'Agostini.

I don't like his year so far. And I keep wondering why this organization doesn't give Pateryn a real look.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
No doubt that Beaulieu is better than Bouillon at this point. However, extra time in the AHL never hurt anyone. Beaulieu is only 21 and is a defenseman. He will continue to improve until at least 25.

Just look at the top defence prospect of his draft year, Adam Larsson. Last I checked, he was also playing in the AHL.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
What about Pateryn?

Pateryn leads the Dogs' defencemen in scoring, 2nd on the team in +/-, big guy, soon turning 24 years old. Would love to see him get some games with the Habs. Also he's a right-handed shot which we lack.

Whether it's Pateryn, Beaulieu or Tinordi, they will get better with NHL experience. Bouillon, Weaver even, are old unlikely they are going to get any better. So IMO if we play our youth we are investing in the team's future. That's why I don't get Cube coming back into the lineup, playing not so well but getting the best partner and top minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad