Bought my first monitor, is it supposed to look like this?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It's a 21.5" VZ229H from Asus, IPS screen. The black levels don't really seem that black to me or is it supposed to be normal. I'm not concerned about a bit of backlight bleed because that's normal but I'm talking more about the level of black and the lines on the gradient. I have my laptop monitor on the bottom for comparison (its black levels aren't that great either but they seem darker than this new monitor though hard to tell by the image):

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It's a 21.5" VZ229H from Asus, IPS screen. The black levels don't really seem that black to me or is it supposed to be normal. I'm not concerned about a bit of backlight bleed because that's normal but I'm talking more about the level of black and the lines on the gradient. I have my laptop monitor on the bottom for comparison (its black levels aren't that great either but they seem darker than this new monitor though hard to tell by the image):

Depends. If your macbook is non retina , it's images will not look as good as the new one. You probably just need to calibrate it, and it's pretty easy to do. Out of the box setting are always way off, just like tv's.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I returned the monitor and got a different one, an LG 24" for $10 more from BB which has much less backlight bleeding (still has it in the corners but not to the same extent as the 21.5" Asus monitor).

It also has an audio OUT jack which is nice for headphones though it makes a slight hissing noise no matter which headphones are connected to it. I do wish that companies would specify on the website if the audio jack was line in or out.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I returned the monitor and got a different one, an LG 24" for $10 more from BB which has much less backlight bleeding (still has it in the corners but not to the same extent as the 21.5" Asus monitor).

It also has an audio OUT jack which is nice for headphones though it makes a slight hissing noise no matter which headphones are connected to it. I do wish that companies would specify on the website if the audio jack was line in or out.

You have to do a ton of research on monitors and TVs, and be super careful on what you buy. So many of them are junk.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, that looks like some intense backlight bleed at first glance.

You have to do a ton of research on monitors and TVs, and be super careful on what you buy. So many of them are junk.

True, and even reputable brands and products with good reviews can have major defects....especially on the cheaper models.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Depends. If your macbook is non retina , it's images will not look as good as the new one. You probably just need to calibrate it, and it's pretty easy to do. Out of the box setting are always way off, just like tv's.
That's a Zenbook, not a Macbook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad