Confirmed with Link: Bouchard re-signs 2yrs $3.9M per

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Decent bridge, now to business.

Too bad we cant go with 22 man roster but it is what it is. I just hope we dont see Woody beating the 11-7 to death this year and wearing out our top players because the 11-7 is really a 9-6 or even a 9-5 if he decides to play Nurse Ekholm 25 minutes a night.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Good enough deal . If he's just offense we don't have to give him a raise if he is good we should have cap I hope by then or he is worth more in a trade with another year playing top pp so I like it .

Don't think he would sign much longer without a big bump

Too bad we cant go with 22 man roster but it is what it is. I just hope we dont see Woody beating the 11-7 to death this year and wearing out our top players because the 11-7 is really a 9-6 or even a 9-5 if he decides to play Nurse Ekholm 25 minutes a night.
Oh I wasn't even worried about the d getting tired lol. They can play lazy hockey now I think and be pretty confident they will make the playoffs . Unless goaltending caves

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Oh I wasn't even worried about the d getting tired lol. They can play lazy hockey now I think and be pretty confident they will make the playoffs . Unless goaltending caves

They play lazy hockey and they are out in the first round. There's no On Off switch in the NHL and any team can beat any other team on any given night if the other team decides not to show up. Case in point, the thrashing we took in Montreal last season which cost us 1st in the West and gave us a 1st round date vs the Kings which may have cost us a cup as it would have been Vegas and the Kings beating the shit out of each other in round one and we would have had Winnipeg who were happy just to be there.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They play lazy hockey and they are out in the first round. There's no On Off switch in the NHL and any team can beat any other team on any given night if the other team decides not to show up. Case in point, the thrashing we took in Montreal last season which cost us 1st in the West and a date vs the Kings which may have cost us a cup as it would have been Vegas and the Kings beating the shit out of each other and we would have had Winnipeg who were happy just to be there.
I mean the pens and Chicago and Tampa all more or less Said we don't need to care about the regular season they did okay

I'd prefer if they are gonna go all in on a taxing system they loosely follow it the first half of the season ramping up towards the end

CaptainCaveman

Apr 12, 2021
I like this contract for Edmonton; Bouchard gets a nice pay bump (although not as much as he could have if he wanted) and the Oilers lock up a big part of the team. I don't expect his next contract to be this "friendly" though.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I mean the pens and Chicago and Tampa all more or less Said we don't need to care about the regular season they did okay

I'd prefer if they are gonna go all in on a taxing system they loosely follow it the first half of the season ramping up towards the end

Boston cruised through the last 40 games and got beat in the 1st round. Tampa got swept by Columbus in R1 the year they were one of the top NHL regular season teams in history.

You cant just turn it on when you want to. You dont loosely follow systems as that builds bad habits. The regular season is the time to perfect the systems. Lets hope Woody doesn't use the same systems as last year or it wont matter anyway, we wont go anywhere playing a hybrid man zone d and the long dump and chase.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Stauffer was saying 3.9x2 a while ago and said he'd be surprised if it wasn't done by August 15.

I thought with this extra time it's taken the deal would have been 3.75 or an extra year or something like that.

Maybe just haggling the structure of the deal.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Where has it been announced?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Really agree. I hate the fact that its going to be a 21 man roster. The fact we dont have a great option (to date but could change) for a 4C makes me fear that we will see 11-7 a lot. i think we will see VD and Lavoie swapped regularly with VD probably playing 60+% of the time.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's worth 5 or 6 million easily. So it's a good signing, for two years no less.

Glad he got signed for 2 years and not 1.

Going to be expensive in 2 years though.
They may have some leeway in 2 years. Neal's buyout will be gone freeing 2 million. Ceci, Foegele, Kulak, probably Campbell will be gone or nearing the end of their contracts. The cap may also rise substantially. Next year will be the worst because of the bonus for Brown.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Really agree. I hate the fact that its going to be a 21 man roster. The fact we dont have a great option (to date but could change) for a 4C makes me fear that we will see 11-7 a lot. i think we will see VD and Lavoie swapped regularly with VD probably playing 60+% of the time.
The 4c is mcdavid/draisaitl.

Reactions: nally

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
With $332K in cap, I guess they'll give Sutter a "participant" ribbon for coming in on a PTO with no money to sign him.:D

Edit: On a serious note, I should add if he even plays well enough to deserve one but being away for two seasons, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ujju2

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Glad to see him resigned.

This contract is going to hurt the team in two years though, but it's not like they had the money to get him signed long term regardless. Doubt he'd be interesting in signing long term even if they had the money either, he's going to be on the highest scoring defensemen in the league over the next two years, and is going to get paid big time on his next contract.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I like the deal. If he develops to be a good pairing with nurse soon. And broberg develops to be good enough with ekholm soon. Our d would look a lot better and paying Bouchard more in two years will be easier with ability to move others out.

You never know the player development but if Bouchard wants to become more than our new Tyson Barrie he has to become good enough to not need babysitting on defence

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
During the next bargaining agreement that the cap is only for the 20 man roster for regular season and playoffs. The 3 press box players salaries up to 1 million won't count towards the cap. Anything over that is added to the cap.

Teams burn players out when they're running a 20, 21 man roster.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They play lazy hockey and they are out in the first round. There's no On Off switch in the NHL and any team can beat any other team on any given night if the other team decides not to show up. Case in point, the thrashing we took in Montreal last season which cost us 1st in the West and gave us a 1st round date vs the Kings which may have cost us a cup as it would have been Vegas and the Kings beating the shit out of each other in round one and we would have had Winnipeg who were happy just to be there.

Not to mention the dual eggs laid in both games against the Blue Jackets this year. Those ones stick out for me even more than the Montreal game, especially the one at home which was our worst of the season IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad