Post-Game Talk: Bouchard furthering the cause

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nurse likely won't replicate last year because the team is playing their D significantly different this year.

Do you guys not remember last season? Nurse and Barrie were basically McDavid's wingers. They were taking like 75% of the shots when they were out there because McDavid's actual wingers were black holes at 5v5. There was like a 15 game stretch where Nurse, Barrie and Bouchard were the top 3 on the team in shots.

They've shifted back to the D never activating or doing anything but dump pucks into the corner from the blue line.

Nurse is 3rd in shots and Barrie at 8. Nurse's shooting has regressed to the means which was likely after last year's covid season. Both continue to activate into the play. Unfortunately aggressive d-activation, one of Playfair's defending foundation pillars, is a large contributor to the opposition going the other way on odd-man rushes.

The forwards with more shots than either defender are as expected McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Hyman, and Nugent Hopkins (barely). Nurse and Barrie are still getting their shots. Just not the career year magic of covid bubble hockey.

Reactions: zeke

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nurse is 3rd in shots and Barrie at 8. Nurse's shooting has regressed to the means which was likely after last year's covid season. Both continue to activate into the play. Unfortunately aggressive d-activation, one of Playfair's defending foundation pillars, is a large contributor to the opposition going the other way on odd-man rushes.

The forwards with more shots than either defender are as expected McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Hyman, and Nugent Hopkins (barely). Nurse and Barrie are still getting their shots. Just not the career year magic of covid bubble hockey.

No one with a 5% onSH% is regressing to the mean.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Here's something I'd actually like to see with the lines once everyone is fully healthy:

Foegele-McDavid-Puljujarvi (this combination looked very good the few times it was tried and gives Connor two big bodies)
RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman (Hyman has Yamamoto's abilities plus the added size)
Benson-McLeod-Yamamoto (worked together in Bakersfield)
Scevious-Ryan-Kassian (the best of the leftovers - can sub Perlini or Turris in)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Here's something I'd actually like to see with the lines once everyone is fully healthy:

Foegele-McDavid-Puljujarvi (this combination looked very good the few times it was tried and gives Connor two big bodies)
Scevious-Ryan-Kassian (the best of the leftovers - can sub Perlini or Turris in)
Perminately press box Ryan, slide Sceviour to center and play Perlini. Derek Ryan ain’t an NHLer anymore.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse's shooting percentage was 10.4% last year.

EDIT: His career shooting percentage is 4.6%. This year's shooting % is 2.1%
Thats nothing what he was saying

The 3 years before this, the Oilers had a 9.46% shooting, this year they have a 5.65% shooting with Nurse on the ice.

If anything Nurse is unlucky this year when it comes to 5on5.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thats nothing what he was saying

The 3 years before this, the Oilers had a 9.46% shooting, this year they have a 5.65% shooting with Nurse on the ice.

If anything Nurse is unlucky this year when it comes to 5on5.

Thanks, I guess I misunderstood that. Expected and actual results are off throughout this lineup. I guess Nurse is 'unlucky' but his individual shooting percentage from last year was well above his norm. His shot volume is still among team high. I don't see him suddenly being limited to shooting the puck into the corner. The Oiler system is aggressive d work in the o-zone, he's getting his shots and his shooting isn't as effective as last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
5 of Kassian’s 12 points have come playing with McDavid and/or Draisaitl.

Sure but given the limited time he spends with them he's still doing as well as anybody we have up as support playrers fulltime. To wit Nuge, Yama, they don't get a lot done EV, usually.

Kass has been fine this year. I can have a fluid view of players based on their current play. I critiqued the way Kass played last season.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Sure but given the limited time he spends with them he's still doing as well as anybody we have up as support playrers fulltime. To wit Nuge, Yama, they don't get a lot done EV, usually.

Kass has been fine this year. I can have a fluid view of players based on their current play. I critiqued the way Kass played last season.
Sure but RNH and Yamo didn’t get the benefit of playing with both McDavid and Draisaitl on the same line. That too against the Yotes, where he has 3 of 12 pts (25% of his production).

To me Kassian has been invisible to bad, depending on how much you care about defense and intangibles.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I like it but I would play the 4th line as

Perlini Sceviour Kassian and scratch Ryan.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sure but RNH and Yamo didn’t get the benefit of playing with both McDavid and Draisaitl on the same line. That too against the Yotes, where he has 3 of 12 pts (25% of his production).

To me Kassian has been invisible to bad, depending on how much you care about defense and intangibles.

Neither can, when its tried. Both tend to be pretty useless when they player with McDrai together in EV play.

Thing is we didn't use up first round picks, or first overall pick to get Kass. and we aren't paying that much more that he's worth. He's around 2.5M in value, maybe 3 given he can play topsix. The thing is, he can play topsix, and with a constant alotment he'd be bagging more EV pts there than either Yama or Nuge are.

Fact ot the matter is Zach has MORE EV pts than Nuge has, who is stapled in topsix with generational stars ALL THE TIME.

lmao you talk about Zach getting the benefit in this. He's outproducing Nuge or Yama playing the vast majority of time in bottomsix, and playing less games and minutes. Really it should be absolutely embarassing to Nuge or Yama that Kass has more EV pts.

Zach is way above either Nuge or Yama in EV pts/60mins.

Nuge had a 3pt game against Yotes as well. Are we giving those back now. Are you that specious? Nuge spends ample time on a league best PP. He gets the benefit of that and a lot of his pts come there typically.

Reactions: Zguy370 and Duke74

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Again all the coaches Drai has had, and he's had 4-5 here. have been interested in playing him these kinds of minutes. hes' a horse. You suggesting we don't have him on the ice one goal down late in a game when the miscue happened?

Without Drai on the ice essentially nothing scoring wise is happening. If Drai wasn't on the ice in that segment people (not you) would be calling Tippett a dunce for that.

If your concern alternately is Pulju toi I think he's adversely effected in some way. Maybe Covid hang on effects or bumped up. He isn't looking 100%
I’m suggesting that he doesn’t play so many minutes so that he can have something left on the tank when down by one late in the game. With Drai on the ice with zero gas left in the tank nothing of value scoring wise was happening either. You’re trying to put words in my mouth by saying what you are. Never even mentioned Pulju once either…

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m suggesting that he doesn’t play so many minutes so that he can have something left on the tank when down by one late in the game. With Drai on the ice with zero gas left in the tank nothing of value scoring wise was happening either. You’re trying to put words in my mouth by saying what you are. Never even mentioned Pulju once either…

Conversely if drai isn't on the ice a lot it isn't a one goal game, and it could easily be multiple goals against. i get what you're saying but all coaches of paper thin rosters that can't even fill out a lineup card with legit players will use their few stars, a lot.

If Drai was a Maple leaf he'd be seeing only 20mins a night.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Neither can, when its tried. Both tend to be pretty useless when they player with McDrai together in EV play.

Thing is we didn't use up first round picks, or first overall pick to get Kass. and we aren't paying that much more that he's worth. He's around 2.5M in value, maybe 3 given he can play topsix. The thing is, he can play topsix, and with a constant alotment he'd be bagging more EV pts there than either Yama or Nuge are.

Fact ot the matter is Zach has MORE EV pts than Nuge has, who is stapled in topsix with generational stars ALL THE TIME.

lmao you talk about Zach getting the benefit in this. He's outproducing Nuge or Yama playing the vast majority of time in bottomsix, and playing less games and minutes. Really it should be absolutely embarassing to Nuge or Yama that Kass has more EV pts.

Zach is way above either Nuge or Yama in EV pts/60mins.

Nuge had a 3pt game against Yotes as well. Are we giving those back now. Are you that specious? Nuge spends ample time on a league best PP. He gets the benefit of that and a lot of his pts come there typically.

I wasn’t the one who brought up the RNH/Yamo and Kassian comparison. I mean Yamo for sure has been snake bitten all season, but RNH has never played on a line with both McDavid and Draisaitl together at even strength.

RNH & Yamo are both much better defensively. Yamo is also much cheaper, if you’re going to talk about contracts.

Kassian is stupidly overpaid for what he brings. Hasn’t brought anything apart from the first few games where his entire line was hot and when he played with McDrai.

Reactions: frag2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Conversely if drai isn't on the ice a lot it isn't a one goal game, and it could easily be multiple goals against. i get what you're saying but all coaches of paper thin rosters that can't even fill out a lineup card with legit players will use their few stars, a lot.

If Drai was a Maple leaf he'd be seeing only 20mins a night.
We don’t know if a couple of shorter shifts or a couple of less shifts would equal a greater deficit. But we do know it would likely mean he isn’t too gassed to make a simple 5ft pass to set Bouch up for a one timer on that last shift.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I couldn't help but notice Boston has Rask on an AHL stint.

I know we're hurting in net, but throwing a guy right into an important NHL game after a long absence looks like a pretty bad move in hindsight. They call it an "organization", but it seems to run like a beer league team: just throw the best/favorite goalie who is available in

Is our depth THAT BAD that there's 0 other options? (rhetorical question) :(

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Perminately press box Ryan, slide Sceviour to center and play Perlini. Derek Ryan ain’t an NHLer anymore.

I'm inclined to agree with you but I'd like to see Ryan in the lineup with a new coach before stuffing him in the pressbox.

Reactions: fuswald

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Oilers at 60% to make the playoffs on Dom’s model. It’s time to hit the panic button now…but

*crickets*

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Time to give Paul Maurice a call tbh
I wouldn’t be too excited about hiring a guy that quit on his team just a few weeks ago. That guy needs extended time off to recharge his batteries and get his fire back. He’s a good coach but this isn’t the right time for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad