Player Discussion Bouchard for Calder?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I know he has had a few ups and downs lately but just watching his ascension up the lineup, the fact that he's becoming one of their top PKers, shockingly, doing his usual thing with the puck completely controlling the pace of the game and is scoring at a 50+ point rate with minimal PP time playing on the top pairing most nights, is it time to start using the "Calder" word when discussing his season?

12 games 2 goals, 8 points 21:39 +4 and looking pretty steady for the most part.

Discuss...

Reactions: oilers'72

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Don't think he is eligible because of last season.

Ah ok, I didn't know this part "nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons, in any major professional league". He played 7 games two seasons ago. Kind of a dumb rule but ok. I guess that does it for my thread then haha.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
As much as I love how Bouchard is able to up his play this season, Mo Seider in Detroit would be my clear frontrunner for the Calder in terms of D's. The kid is only 20 and does things other need 1000 games in the NHL for, it's incredible to watch. Already knew he'd be something when he was basically the best player at the worlds for team Germany as a 17 year old. Never thought he'd just hit it right off from the beginning, though.

If Bouch would be eligible and can keep up his point production, he'd be a in the conversation for the Calder for sure.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's best for the Oilers that none of our players win any major awards before signing a long term deal

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Ah ok, I didn't know this part "nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons, in any major professional league". He played 7 games two seasons ago. Kind of a dumb rule but ok. I guess that does it for my thread then haha.

Yeah it's pretty stupid that the ELC cut off is 10 games, but the Calder is 6. Also doesn't make sense because there is a year (2019-20) between his 7 game season and last year, unless they count the games in SWE being a "year". Which is equally dumb because they don't count 400 games in the KHL, since they refuse to recognize it as a "pro" league. I really don't know which sets of games disqualifies him from the Calder due to that year in between where he was in the AHL.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anthony Stewart has a blatant hard on for Bowen Byram according to his constant bellowing last night in between periods.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Anthony Stewart has a blatant hard on for Bowen Byram according to his constant bellowing last night in between periods.

For good reason imo. Although he is over the top about it.

Bouchard has been nothing short of amazing so far but I think even if eligible he would be hard pressed to win the Calder... even if the Oilers were allowed to win it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
26 year old Michael Bunting who played 21 games last season and had 26 career games entering this season is eligible for the calder.

22 year old Evan Bouchard who played 14 games last season and had 21 career games entering this season isn't.

Go figure.

Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
"Eligibility: To be eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, a player must not have attained his 26th birthday by Sept. 15 of the season in which he is eligible."

NHL Records

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Well, Bouchard played 7 games in 18/19, so that rules him out. If he was still with the Condors this season, those 7 games wouldn't count.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad