NHL Entry Draft Bottom of the Table Outlook

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Current Bottom-10 (including Seattle) via Tankathon (based on PPG (points per game)):*
1. Buffalo Sabres (0.647)
2. Anaheim Ducks (0.740)
3. Seattle Kraken (given third best odds)
4. New Jersey Devils (0.780)
5. Columbus Blue Jackets (0.824)
6. Detroit Red Wings (0.827)
7. Ottawa Senators (0.840)
8. Los Angeles Kings (0.894)
9. San Jose Sharks (0.918)
10. Vancouver Canucks (0.932)

*As of April 30th at 6:30pm ET

*Upcoming Games To Monitor * (All times in ET)

Wednesday Apr 28

5:30pm - Vancouver vs Ottawa (W)
10:00pm - Anaheim vs Los Angeles
10:30pm - Arizona vs San Jose
Thursday Apr 29
7:00pm - Buffalo vs Boston
7:00pm - Philadelphia vs New Jersey
7:00pm - Detroit vs Carolina
9:00pm - Calgary vs Edmonton

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With us on the upswing and likely not finishing bottom 5 next year... I really hope we at least nab top 3 pick and select Beniers/Guenther this draft. Secure a top 6 talent and then start the climb from there.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
TONIGHT - April 28th

If Ottawa wins over Vancouver they will have 42 points in 50 games which would give them (0.840) points per game and pass Columbus for 6th in the lottery.

If Ottawa loses against Vancouver they will have 40 points in 50 games which would give them a points per game of (0.800) and see them stay at 5th. Same applies if Ottawa loses in OT or SO (0.820) PPG.

If Anaheim wins against Los Angeles they would pass New Jersey in points per game and move to 4th since Seattle automatically have the third best odds. If they lose they stay 2nd.

If Los Angeles win they stay 9th but if they lose they could fall below San Jose to 8th if San Jose earns a point.

If San Jose win and LA lose in either regulation or OT/SO, San Jose jump LA in points per game. If San Jose lose they stay 8th.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With us on the upswing and likely not finishing bottom 5 next year... I really hope we at least nab top 3 pick and select Beniers/Guenther this draft. Secure a top 6 talent and then start the climb from there.
There are 4 players I really like at the top of the draft. In no particular order Beniers, Guenther, Clarke and Hughes. I’m not sold on Power being as good as the other 2 D and I don’t have a handle on the Swedes. I think Ottawa would look at Sillinger and McTavish if the pick falls in the 8-10 range.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Continue to build a winning culture and don’t worry about that draft pick, Ottawa can very well luck into a top 3 pick still.
It helps that the quality of prospect from pick #1-#8 is relatively even. So you’ll be getting a GOOD player no matter what.
Nah. Let's get the higher pick. Our culture will survive a few losses.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Nah. Let's get the higher pick. Our culture will survive a few losses.
I tend to agree. Coaches and players will always try to win anyhow. They are being paid to do that, and professional athletes tend to have those characteristics inherently anyhow. I don't think we need to worry about that side of the equation (coaches or players).

So, if we shift the focus to the fans, how much more will it mean to fans if they win 2 or 3 games more this season from this point forward? Will people even remember this 2 or 3 years from now especially if the pick we landed turned into a really good player?

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I tend to agree. Coaches and players will always try to win anyhow. They are being paid to do that, and professional athletes tend to have those characteristics inherently anyhow. I don't think we need to worry about that side of the equation (coaches or players).

So, if we shit the focus to the fans, how much more will it mean to fans if they win 2 or 3 games more this season from this point forward? Will people even remember this 2 or 3 years from now especially if the pick we landed turned into a really good player?
It's like when we went on that hot streak after trading Elliott for Andy. Sure, Colorado still has Landeskog, but think how motivated our current roster is now because of those late season wins!

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
TONIGHT - April 29th

No matter what happens tonight Buffalo will stay last.

If New Jersey lose, they will tie Anaheim in points per game but will still stay above on regulation wins. If New Jersey win nothing changes.

If Detroit get a point, their position will not change but they will pull slightly away from Ottawa for the time being. If Detroit lose in regulation they will fall below Ottawa in points per game and Ottawa will jump to 7th in the lottery.

If Calgary get a point and Vancouver lose in regulation to Toronto, Calgary will leapfrog both the forfeited Arizona pick and Vancouver. Vancouver will then drop to 10th in the lottery.

If Calgary gets a point and Vancouver gets a point, Arizona's forfeited pick will fall to 10th in the lottery.

If Calgary lose nothing changes.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
*Upcoming Games To Monitor*

Apr 30th

9:00pm ET - San Jose Sharks vs Colorado Avalanche
10:00pm ET - LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks
10:00pm ET - Vegas Golden Knights vs Arizona Coyotes

TONIGHT - April 30th

Note: Detroit lost last night meaning Ottawa passed them for 7th in the lottery (as seen on the original post).

Tonight gets pretty complicated but thankfully none of it directly affects the Sens yet.

If San Jose wins in regulation they will past Vancouver for 10th in the lottery and Vancouver will fall to 9th if Arizona win. If San Jose win and Arizona lose in regulation San Jose will move to 11th. San Jose will stay 9th if any other result happens IF Los Angeles doesn’t win in regulation.

If LA win they will past San Jose if they win regulation and San Jose lose in regulation. If LA lose nothing changes.

Regardless of Anaheim’s result nothing changes for them at-least for tonight.

If Arizona win their forfeited pick will past Calgary for 12th. If Arizona lose their forfeited pick will fall back into 10th and Vancouver will move up to 11th IF San Jose lose. If San Jose win then Arizona will fall to 9th (if they lose in regulation) and Vancouver stays at 10.

Last edited:

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
It's like when we went on that hot streak after trading Elliott for Andy. Sure, Colorado still has Landeskog, but think how motivated our current roster is now because of those late season wins!

2011 is an interesting draft to pick for this argument because Zibanejad, Couturier and Scheifele are all legit studs picked in the range we may end up, while the first overall pick in RNH and the originally projected first overall pick in Larsson have kind of underwhelmed.

Not that I fully disagree with you -- I would love to draft one of Guenther, Clarke, Hughes or Beniers. But I'm not going to lose sleep if we're winning games because of excellent performances from Brady, Chabot, Drake, Norris, Stutzle, Brannstrom, Pinto etc.

Reactions: Smeddy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
2011 is an interesting draft to pick for this argument because Zibanejad, Couturier and Scheifele are all legit studs picked in the range we may end up, while the first overall pick in RNH and the originally projected first overall pick in Larsson have kind of underwhelmed.

Not that I fully disagree with you -- I would love to draft one of Guenther, Clarke, Hughes or Beniers. But I'm not going to lose sleep if we're winning games because of excellent performances from Brady, Chabot, Drake, Norris, Stutzle, Brannstrom, Pinto etc.
Yeah, us sucking would definitely be worse, for sure. I want our guys to look amazing and somehow still lose.

Reactions: Asquaredx2

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Dumb thread. We're trying to win games, not lose them.

Think you got the wrong idea. I want us to win too. It’s just a thread for those who want to see what’s happening day to day in regard to where we’re picking since we’re close to end of the season.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Think you got the wrong idea. I want us to win too. It’s just a thread for those who want to see what’s happening day to day in regard to where we’re picking since we’re close to end of the season.

So rank the standings from top to bottom instead of bottom to top.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Imagine how we’ve looked the past few weeks against very good teams when the young guys + Stützle and Sanderson especially are in their prime. Adding a top 10 pick is just gravy...

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I think only the top 2 picks are up for Lotto.
Damnit.

Speaking of those new rules though, if you can't win the lottery twice in 5 years, does that mean that:

Toronto (Matthews), NJ (Hughes), NYR (Lafreniere), Buffalo (Dahlin), LA (Byfield), San Jose (Stutzel/Ottawa?), Chicago (Dach), Carolina (Svech), Montreal (Kotkaniemi), Dallas (Heiskanen), Philly (Patrick) all can't move up for 2021?

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Damnit.

Speaking of those new rules though, if you can't win the lottery twice in 5 years, does that mean that:

Toronto (Matthews), NJ (Hughes), NYR (Lafreniere), Buffalo (Dahlin), LA (Byfield), San Jose (Stutzel/Ottawa?), Chicago (Dach), Carolina (Svech), Montreal (Kotkaniemi), Dallas (Heiskanen), Philly (Patrick) all can't move up for 2021?

I think its going forward, and I believe its you can not win it more than 2 times.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I want us to win, I also want Buffalo, Anahiem, NJ, Columbus and Detroit to win.
Well, since they are only putting up 1st and 2nd OA in the lottery this year, I kind of doubt that happens...
Its theoretically possible...
Finish 13 from the bottom. Win the lottery for spot 1 or 2 and only be allowed to move up 10 spots. I could be wrong lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its theoretically possible...
Finish 13 from the bottom. Win the lottery for spot 1 or 2 and only be allowed to move up 10 spots. I could be wrong lol
I think the 10 spots thing is only starting for the 2022 draft. They are phasing in the changes and I think the only one for this year is the top 2 picks being the only ones up for grabs, but I'm going off memory.

Reactions: Sen sational

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad