Line Combos: Bottom 6 Holes To Fill

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
bottom 6:

bolland - colborne - kulemin
mclaren - mcclement - orr

as much as i'd prefer mcclement on the 3rd, it just doesn't make sense to give a young kid like colborne a black hole of a line to play on.

No chance Bolland plays wing.

Also, I really hope the plan isn't to go into the season with McLaren and Orr both playing every day on the 4th line. I wish we had Leo back, but D'amigo is going to have to be the guy to take over that spot on most nights.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I thought Colborne played great in the playoffs and see no reason why he can't play either wing or centre. He was fine at both, did not look out of place, made some rookie mistakes as well as good solid plays. He should stay.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
No chance Bolland plays wing.

Also, I really hope the plan isn't to go into the season with McLaren and Orr both playing every day on the 4th line. I wish we had Leo back, but D'amigo is going to have to be the guy to take over that spot on most nights.
I could see D'Amigo playing on the fourth line. We'd have a pretty capable depth line that could be used against the opposing depth scoring lines.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
For anyone advocating playing the kids, you do realize that injuries happen, right? It's safe to count on at least one forward being injured at any given time, if not 2. Kulemin is okay to move up to the top 6 once in a while, but Bolland and McClement don't really generate much offense. A decent veteran is needed to fill one of these holes - just filling up the spots with Colborne and D'Amigo isn't going to cut it, because then you're looking to guys like Ashton and Ryan as injur call-ups and they just aren't very good (unless they come into camp in much better shape than last season, but we'll see).

For that matter, the Leafs like most teams like to carry 22-23 players on the roster, so at the very least you can expect a 13th forward to be signed before the season starts.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Don't know bout you guys but i really don't feel comfortable going into the season with this lineup. Now i know there's still the whole summer left to tweak the lineup but i have a feeling we will just resign our RFAs and head into camp with the same roster.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
****-Bolland-Kulemin
****-McClement-Orr/McClaren

As you can see our top 6 looks very solid but our bottom 6 has some holes to fill. Who might be available for cheap that we can sign? A guy like Chad Larose would be nice but at what price?

How can this question even be raised?

Since JFj was fired the Leafs have 2 players from the draft make the NHL for them? Schenn and Kadri.

Hayes and Pateryn have combined for 49 NHL games on other teams.

This is indefensible.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Likely Carter Ashton and/or Joe Colborne get spots but it will probably come down to training camp.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
McClement/Ashton/Colborne-Bolland-Kulemin
Ashton/McLaren-McClement/Colborne-Orr

....or something.

D'Amigo, Biggs and Leivo might have chances as well starting in training camp. We can call it the Quest for Frattin 2.0.

Badger25

Jul 23, 2012
Toronto
Kulemin - Bolland - McClement
D'Amigo - Colborne - Orr / McLaren

Our 3 best defensive forwards shut down top lines
4th line can still produce offensively, will play a conservative style under Carlyle. Orr/McLaren will make sure no one takes liberties with the kids

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad