Bottom 6 Firesale!

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Figuring Vecchione will stick on the 4th and Vorobyov has a fair-decent chance of doing the same , and G/Jake/Simmer/Schenn/TK/Filp/Couts/Lindblom(/Nico or Nolan?) taking 8 of the 9 other slots, we have maybe 1 spot on the 3rd, one on the 4th (less if Weal is back) and a bunch of NHL caliber players blocked from above and pressured by incoming prospects.

Even assuming LV takes one, we have 1-3 starting slots and then it's spot duty for Read, Weisse, PEB, Raffl, Laughton, Cousins, & Leier.

What kind of picks could we get for these guys? Could we use them to sweeten a Macdonald trade?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bellemare isn't leaving unless it's through expansion.

If 2OV pick makes the team (he will make the team), that kind of puts Vecchione in a bad spot in terms of making the team. I'm sure things were said and was promised nice things, but sorry, bud, things just changed.

Read is really the guy they need to get Vegas to select, because it gets way harder later on to move him, especially if he's still here in training camp.

They also do still have a spot there to trade for a defenseman that someone else can't protect but don't want to lose for nothing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Figuring Vecchione will stick on the 4th and Vorobyov has a fair-decent chance of doing the same , and G/Jake/Simmer/Schenn/TK/Filp/Couts/Lindblom(/Nico or Nolan?) taking 8 of the 9 other slots, we have maybe 1 spot on the 3rd, one on the 4th (less if Weal is back) and a bunch of NHL caliber players blocked from above and pressured by incoming prospects.

Even assuming LV takes one, we have 1-3 starting slots and then it's spot duty for Read, Weisse, PEB, Raffl, Laughton, Cousins, & Leier.

What kind of picks could we get for these guys? Could we use them to sweeten a Macdonald trade?

I don't think Vecchione or Vorobyov make the Flyers out of camp next season. I see them as the top 2 Centers for the Phantoms.

Giroux
Couturier
Hischier/Patrick
Filppula

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
None of these guys have enough value to move given they already have a surfeit of draft picks.

First, see who they lose in the ED.

Second, listen to offers before the draft, but only overpays, it doesn't make sense to trade real players for 6th rd picks unless it's someone like Read where you want to dump salary.

Third, go to camp, let 'em fight it out, wait for the inevitable injuries on other teams, then deal from strength.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
None of these guys have enough value to move given they already have a surfeit of draft picks.

First, see who they lose in the ED.

Second, listen to offers before the draft, but only overpays, it doesn't make sense to trade real players for 6th rd picks unless it's someone like Read where you want to dump salary.

Third, go to camp, let 'em fight it out, wait for the inevitable injuries on other teams, then deal from strength.

Teams don't really trade off of injuries in-season, and it's not easier to move salary.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Teams trade off injuries in training camp (or failure to bounce back) because they don't want to write off the season that early (unless they're clearly rebuilding).

From the Flyers standpoint, unless it's an offer for Raffl, PEB, Weise or Read, moving a young player with upside for a late round pick makes no sense, especially if you can stash them at LHV for a season. Once you see them in TC, and see who has progressed, then you know who is expendable.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I don't think Vecchione or Vorobyov make the Flyers out of camp next season. I see them as the top 2 Centers for the Phantoms.

Giroux
Couturier
Hischier/Patrick
Filppula

For 17-18, G, Coots and Filppula should be the Cs, 1-3, unless Patrick or Hischier absolutely force their way onto the club. If they do, they become the 3C and Filppula goes over to LW on the third line.
I'm not opposed to Patrick going back to Brandon for another year to get totally well or Hischier to beef up for a season in the Q.
Its totally different playing with men than boys night in and night out. McDavid got nailed in his rookie season and it cost him a lot of games. Eichel had a similar thing this season. The second choice in the draft needs to be totally ready when he comes into the lineup. That means more than just skills wise. Experience and physically prepared matter as well. We don't want to see happen to him what happened to these other guys. Remember Niskanen taking out Laughton?
This brings up another thing and Hakstol is going to have to go along with it. With all of the young guns coming onto the roster, there are going to players on the opposing side that are going to attempt to take liberties with them. The Flyers are going to need some tough players who will step in and not allow that to happen or if it does, to take retribution for it. If a Kunitz tries to tag Lindblom, Hischier, Hagg, Sanheim or Morin, and someone like Kunitz will, the team has to be prepared to damage the opposition for it. The Flyers, aside from Simmonds and Gudas, have a reputation for being soft. That needs to be stopped.

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
For 17-18, G, Coots and Filppula should be the Cs, 1-3, unless Patrick or Hischier absolutely force their way onto the club. If they do, they become the 3C and Filppula goes over to LW on the third line.
I'm not opposed to Patrick going back to Brandon for another year to get totally well or Hischier to beef up for a season in the Q.
Its totally different playing with men than boys night in and night out. McDavid got nailed in his rookie season and it cost him a lot of games. Eichel had a similar thing this season. The second choice in the draft needs to be totally ready when he comes into the lineup. That means more than just skills wise. Experience and physically prepared matter as well. We don't want to see happen to him what happened to these other guys. Remember Niskanen taking out Laughton?
This brings up another thing and Hakstol is going to have to go along with it. With all of the young guns coming onto the roster, there are going to players on the opposing side that are going to attempt to take liberties with them. The Flyers are going to need some tough players who will step in and not allow that to happen or if it does, to take retribution for it. If a Kunitz tries to tag Lindblom, Hischier, Hagg, Sanheim or Morin, and someone like Kunitz will, the team has to be prepared to damage the opposition for it. The Flyers, aside from Simmonds and Gudas, have a reputation for being soft. That needs to be stopped.

If Chris Kunitz (6'0, 195) tries to tag Sam Morin (6'7, 225), I don't think that ends well for him. But I do see your point somewhat, the flyers were small last year, and it showed. Sam will help with that, not to mention that Hägg, Lindblom, and Sanheim are all 6'2 and up and play in pro leagues. They'll hold their own.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
If Chris Kunitz (6'0, 195) tries to tag Sam Morin (6'7, 225), I don't think that ends well for him. But I do see your point somewhat, the flyers were small last year, and it showed. Sam will help with that, not to mention that Hägg, Lindblom, and Sanheim are all 6'2 and up and play in pro leagues. They'll hold their own.

Not to mention Voracek has been notoriously one of the first to jump in after a guy in that type of situation. Schenn is always willing to go and is among the team's leaders in hits, and Giroux will stick up for his teammates if he needs to. Obviously, you don't want your three highest scorers to have to jump in but I don't really see a problem with this team's tenacity or willingness to protect each other.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I doubt if Kunitz would go up against Sam but there are other weasels in the league that might try to tag Morin with a cheap shot. Morin can probably hold his own. I don't mind if guys go at it for good reasons but I don't care for cheap shot stuff like Niskanen's hit on Laughton which still galls me- both the hit and lack of Flyer retaliation. It was legal but borderline. If Niskanen knew that the price would have been a head shot on Backstrom, he never would have made that hit.
Not to mention Voracek has been notoriously one of the first to jump in after a guy in that type of situation. Schenn is always willing to go and is among the team's leaders in hits, and Giroux will stick up for his teammates if he needs to. Obviously, you don't want your three highest scorers to have to jump in but I don't really see a problem with this team's tenacity or willingness to protect each other.
Jake isn't a fighter and neither is Giroux. Schenn will have a go at it but like Manning doesn't do much damage. Simmonds on the other hand can hurt someone but even then he is an honest guy and usually won't go for the kill. With this bunch of young players, the Flyers may well need someone who can do more than what they have currently on the roster. A guy in the range of Tom Wilson, though I am not advocating trading for him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You're more likely to fall victim to goonery in juniors than you are in the NHL/AHL these days. The latter two have put far more rules & stipulations in over recent years to really curb those things.

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I doubt if Kunitz would go up against Sam but there are other weasels in the league that might try to tag Morin with a cheap shot. Morin can probably hold his own. I don't mind if guys go at it for good reasons but I don't care for cheap shot stuff like Niskanen's hit on Laughton which still galls me- both the hit and lack of Flyer retaliation. It was legal but borderline. If Niskanen knew that the price would have been a head shot on Backstrom, he never would have made that hit.

Part of it also seems to be the mentality of the coach rubbing off on the players. Always stoic, doesn't freak out or retaliate. There are exceptions, but that seems to be the trend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad