Botterill fired. Does he come back to Pens?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The guy has a reason to be, if we're being honest, but Eichel strikes me as a bit of a prima donna. Like, late 90's Jagr.

Dude's gonna be dying alive sooner than later. :laugh:

Reactions: wheelz87

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The guy has a reason to be, if we're being honest, but Eichel strikes me as a bit of a prima donna. Like, late 90's Jagr.

I can see why people assume he's like that, but if you are now seeing the extent of how deep this rabbit hole of idiocy goes with the Buffalo Sabres ownership, you can see why he's fed up and has been for a while. Imagine coming to work, knowing that the owners of the company keep meddling, keep hiring and firing coaches and GM's and then parade you around like you're the savior all the while never really giving you jack shit of anything for help.

Penguins were a shit show too when Mario was drafted, but they also knew with a talent like that, they better start getting shit in order real quick. 5yrs into Mario's tenure from 1984-1989, they were positioning themselves as a future powerhouse by making it to the playoffs in Mario's 5th year. Eichel is 5yrs in, no playoffs in sight and probably not for another 2-3 more years. If Eichel is smart, he asks to be traded, I wouldn't want to be associated with a franchise that did what they did during the pandemic either, they really only care about themselves while pretending to give a shit about others. Yeah, Jacky boy should bounce, mate.

Reactions: Khelandros

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He and JR had a good relationship by all accounts, I wouldn’t be surprised nor bothered.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I'd take him back, but make him go through a buffer organization for a season or two until that Buffalo Sabres stench airs off of him.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Based on what? He’s a competitor who has been in the basement his entire career. It would be telling if he wasn’t mad. It’s not like he requested a trade.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sabres fans not getting how the NHL situation isn't remotely as easily fixable as the Bills were, is telling enough for me to know they probably deserve the Pegula's.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What is the current alignment of the Pens front office?
So if Botts comes back, doesn't someone have to go out?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
That level of gutting tells me they think it wasn't just Botterill. So, good for them. Maybe they finally realized what a terrible org they've been running.

To answer the OP, wouldn't surprise me in the least for him to come back. Never brought in anyone when Guerin left. JB would be in an ideal spot for a few years at least. Can rehab his rep (or wash the Buffalo off, depending on how you look at it) and be primed for his next gig. Whether it's here or elsewhere.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't really followed the story, what did they do?
As mentioned above, they meddle far too much and then expect greatness without really heeding the advice of the professionals and experts they hire and instead, ingrain themselves into the day to day stuff and ruin their own franchise. They were one of the first NHL teams to fire people during the height of the pandemic while others were finding ways to make sure their staff got paid, they fired people then, then started to fire people they said were safe, and that would be ok if they didn't hire someone that is now the least qualified person in the GM ranks.

That Sabres ownership is going to NEED Jack Eichel to DEMAND a trade to really get how stupid they are.

It's what pisses me off the most about the draft lottery, some poor bloke is going to end up there and be subject to that bullshit. If any prospect is smart, they don't sign past their ELC and asked to be released.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad