Both of Carolina's goalies injured vs Leafs - emergency goalie Dave Ayres enters and wins the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
12 hours later and I still can't believe that this happened! The Carolina Hurricane players deserve a lot of credit for how they played their hearts out in front of Ayers, what a great bunch of guys. This story will live forever, the guy survives cancer, kidney failure and gets to beat his own employer's team while wearing team owned gear in their own building during a nationally televised game on HNIC.

You simply cannot make this up! I do however wish that Don Cherry was still on the air though, with him referring to the Canes as a bunch of jerks and then this happens on HNIC, that would have been the cherry on top so to speak lol.
If I was Keefe I'd show his players video of what a character team really looks and plays like.

Reactions: OldCraig71

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
Sooo no talk of Clifford running the goalie?? Suspension worthy??? I know if it was other way around and someone ran Andersen or Campbell like that, the outrage would be out of control
Goalie was way out, no penalty on the leaf player should have been called, should even have been a penalty on the goalie for interference.

:laugh: a bit of history

Reactions: authentic

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Leafs are obviously an easy target here, but count me in as one who is more about celebrating Ayres than putting down Toronto. None of us have a scintilla of the talent that a regular NHL'er does, but Ayres... He is us!

Wonderful story. Loved to see the Canes rally around the goalie like a mother bear around a cub. Mild mannered players like Haula looked like psycho killers out there.

Well... I guess, but Haula does by default look like a Pori scene juvenile delinquent, who has only his ptofessional hockey player career to keep him away from beating people at the weenie kiosk.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Imagine paying hundreds of dollars to watch your team lose to a 42 year old zamboni driver.

Thank you Leafs, no matter how bad and stupid the Flames play, nothing they do will ever be this embarrassing.

As bad as it is, it is a once in a lifetime experience. If I were to attend a loss, may as well be an epic one. Classy reaction from the fans too at the end to acknowledge the feat.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Leafs are obviously an easy target here, but count me in as one who is more about celebrating Ayres than putting down Toronto. None of us have a scintilla of the talent that a regular NHL'er does, but Ayres... He is us!

Wonderful story. Loved to see the Canes rally around the goalie like a mother bear around a cub. Mild mannered players like Haula looked like psycho killers out there.

More than one part to this story.

Ayres gets to live every beer league goalies dream, Hockey Night in Canada too boot.

Cocky leafs and their whiz GM are laughing stocks on National T.V.

We wont be hearing Matthews , Marner and Keefe talk about "getting our swagger back" any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg