Player Discussion Bostons forgotten great Barry Pederson

aguineapig

Every summer Harry and then Oiler GM Glen Sather would go on their annual two week fishing trip. Who knows what went on during these excursions, but i recall Harry saying the deal was agreed to on one of these. The thought was to find an anchor to a second scoring line and the Rat had just had a monster playoff with 10 goals in 19 games in the Oil's first Cup run.
Love this! Thanks for posting it. Still heart broken over Barry being traded. I won't lie, I did not take to Neely for a long time. That line of Barry, Rick, and Mike was one of my favorites back then. It still puzzles me as to why Sinden traded Krush- made no sense to me.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
He had his front teeth removed I know - but there was something wrong yes

I swear I remember that Reed Larson flipped his car at some point and may have injured his arm. But not sure if it's related to that. What a hammer of a slap shot.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Every summer Harry and then Oiler GM Glen Sather would go on their annual two week fishing trip. Who knows what went on during these excursions, but i recall Harry saying the deal was agreed to on one of these. The thought was to find an anchor to a second scoring line and the Rat had just had a monster playoff with 10 goals in 19 games in the Oil's first Cup run.

I think that Harry may have picked up Rosie Ruzicka on one of those trips too! Or at least laid the groundwork for it.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Barry is on my all-time Bruin's team - when you figure in the "might have been" stats. For that matter, so are Samsonov and Kluzak. It may be "La-La Land", but I have to evaluate players based on what they would have been aside from career derailing injuries.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Second only to Bud Harrelson getting dealt to the Phils, the Barry Pederson deal was the most mad I ever was. I loved him. I was a right shot center in the neighborhood street and ice hockey league and he was my guy.

Worked out well, as Cam Neely became my favorite athlete ever

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
His direct and indirect legacy on The Bruins is as big as any player for any team - add in two other small pieces (a mid first and... ?)

Then add up how many games and points (if I'm bored later and have some time to kill I might go through it)
Pederson
Neely
Wesley
Samsonov
McLaren
Hackett
Jilsson
Boyes
Reasoner
Yan Statsny
Lucic
Wideman
Horton
G. Campbell
C. Miller
Kuraly
Frederic
Zboril

and it's crazy that 40 years later you still have three players on the team/in the system.
If Frederic or Zboril have good careers or are traded or something this could stretch another 10+ years.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Barry is on my all-time Bruin's team - when you figure in the "might have been" stats. For that matter, so are Samsonov and Kluzak. It may be "La-La Land", but I have to evaluate players based on what they would have been aside from career derailing injuries.

when I measure players from one era to the other I use a couple matrix usually

one... how I felt about them on their very best day... their peak... I do that on just how blown away I am. its not a quantitative thing. its a measure on potential awesomeness/and then how likely I think the player is to maximize this potential.

my second measure is how the player rates against his peers... his level of domination within his own time... its an apples and apples and oranges and oranges comparison

I just feel its too difficult to start comparing against other time eras because training/nutrition/equipment/coaching and such factors pervert the argument

I hate to say it but I think bobby orr would have a hard time going coast to coast against a 5 man trap... and if erik karlsson was allowed to go 1-on-1 with crazy rushes we would all be more impressed with him.

bobby hull used to skate over the blueline uncontested and rip a slap shot... it was very awesome... today he would never ever ever ever be able to do that

so I dont compare eras... I assume a great athelete would adapt to whatever the conditions of his era might be and would be great.

Pederson... until he got hurt... was the most awesome center ive ever seen on our team... ahead of oates… ahead of the old phil esposite I saw... ahead of joe thornton… even ahead of the 2 way wizardry of Bergeron.

but Pederson had a very very little time until that shoulder problem wrecked him

Reactions: BobbyAwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad