Boston Sports Journal Boston has prioritized ‘maintenance’ & recovery for Patrice Bergeron, but

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Time to find the next Rich Peverley type NOW, and have him play center/slide him over to wing if and when Bergeron is right.

Shore up that center position or you’re DOA.

That would be Coyle, who we didn't have last year when Bergeron was limited to 66 games.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So glad they’re finally starting to approach PB this way. Seems he’s been at about 60% by playoffs/end of regular season for the past few years.

Get him ready for a long playoff run.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
They can’t continue to manage him the way they have been since he’s been having these issues, it looks like they see that. I can’t see this team being successful when it matters without a mostly healthy Bergeron. I am 100% supportive of seeing him getting frequent rest during the regular season. It was one of the things I was hoping to see this season. Surgery may not be avoidable but is not a miracle cure, I believe he’s had 2 already and here we are. I can understand why they aren’t in a rush to go down that road again. Tricky situation for sure.

aguineapig

Where's my Butchie Goring? In the 84-85 season with Barry Pederson sidelined for the season with his second arm surgery, Harry picked Goring from the dust bin of the Islander dynasty. Butch and his old helmet still had a bit left in the tank, and racked up 34 pts in 39 gms. Sinden was so impressed he offered a contract following the season.As COACH! Butch rode off with Sundance a year and a half later, but with Patrice day to day every day, should Donny be looking for such a stop gap? So I ask, Where's my Butchie Goring?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I don't like the thought of losing Bergy for an extended period. Get well soon Patrice!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So glad they’re finally starting to approach PB this way. Seems he’s been at about 60% by playoffs/end of regular season for the past few years.

Get him ready for a long playoff run.
And also that he's open to it. For someone who is famous for his pain tolerance level, to get him to sit out more often when necessary is a big step.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I’m glad no one is calling him injury prone but just to show the hypocrisy of this board

patrice Bergeron has played in 85.1% of possible games in his career

If you eliminate the concussion season Bergeron has played in 91.3% of possible games

david Krejci has played in 91% of possible games

played over 75 games
Bergeron 8/15 seasons
Krejci 9/13 seasons

If Krejci gets crucified as injury prone why isn’t other players on this team including Bergeron get the same label by members here ?

I love Bergeron he deserves all the love and respect In the world... i just wish bruins fans Would treat Krejci In the same light

get better soon Bergeron please... and can we please lose the Krejci is injury prone narrative!

37 & 46 forever

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
With any of the vets, I hope the Bs give them plenty of maintenance days to recover from whatever ails them, especially in the last quarter of the season. The team has shown it can put up points in the standings with a key guy or two out. President's trophy doesn't mean squat. A healthy core in the playoffs is what will make or break Cup chances.

Reactions: Bruinaura

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Groin pulls are the worst for a hockey player. It takes forever to get rid of them, and the skating stride is the worst for re-aggravating them. If you get enough damage, scar tissue builds up in there, which is never as strong and pliable as healthy tissue.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
With any of the vets, I hope the Bs give them plenty of maintenance days to recover from whatever ails them, especially in the last quarter of the season. The team has shown it can put up points in the standings with a key guy or two out. President's trophy doesn't mean squat. A healthy core in the playoffs is what will make or break Cup chances.
Exactly and as long as the team is doing well they have the luxury of doing that .

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, here me out...

Bergeron shouldn't be put back on 1st line with 63 & 88 when he's back in the lineup. That first line with Krejci is moving along just fine. Bergeron would get easier matchups down further in the lineup, and the presumption is that he'll be in and out of the lineup for the foreseeable future, so let the top line continue to build chemistry.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Okay, here me out...

Bergeron shouldn't be put back on 1st line with 63 & 88 when he's back in the lineup. That first line with Krejci is moving along just fine. Bergeron would get easier matchups down further in the lineup, and the presumption is that he'll be in and out of the lineup for the foreseeable future, so let the top line continue to build chemistry.

I had been resistant to this but with the introduction of Studnicka I'm just starting to wonder whether it might be the right thing to do. A huge caveat is we just don't know the exact nature of Bergy's injury/condition, what treatment options are still open to him, and how close he can get it back to being 100%. With that said, if he does indeed need a reasonably amount of further time off, either due to surgery or just extended or intermittent rest, then keeping Krejci permanently on the 1st line could be the way to go.

Krejci 1C, Studnicka/Bergeron 2C, Coyle 3C, Kuraly 4C. I know Coyle played 2RW last night and was fine, but I really do prefer him as a center and I still think the solution to that RW spot is going to be someone they trade in. Alternatively if they want to keep Coyle up on the 2nd as an experienced help for Jack then they can still run with Kuraly and Lindholm as the bottom-6 centers, in whatever order is deemed best. That way you get more consistency across lines 1, 3 & 4, and Bergy and Stud essentially become interchangeable on the 2nd, so at least you minimise the changes and disruption to one line which alternates its C between the master and apprentice.

I'm still not convinced by the idea and my gut says they won't go with it unless Bergeron's condition gets to the point where it really forces their hand, but I think it's at least worth discussing as a potential option.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00