Boston Sports Journal Boston has prioritized ‘maintenance’ & recovery for Patrice Bergeron, but

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One way or the other the team and Bergie have to decide what to do soon

Boston has prioritized ‘maintenance’ & recovery for Patrice Bergeron, but a lingering injury is once again looming over B’s top center | Boston Sports Journal

For the short term, at least. It remains to be seen how much rest and recovery can successful solve Bergeron’s ongoing injury woes, especially after an offseason in which he was able to avoid going under the knife. Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby, dealing with a hernia injury since training camp, opted to bite the bullet earlier this month — undergoing surgery to correct the issue, but forcing the Penguins to soldier on without their best player for a minimum of six weeks.

Such a course isn’t on the table quite yet for Bergeron. But if maintenance days and other off-ice work continues to not yield results, Bergeron could find himself taking similar steps, much to him and his team’s dismay.

“I don’t know if Crosby is compared to Bergy — if it would require a similar treatment to make it all go away or not,” Cassidy said. “I haven’t been in those discussions. … Could that come up down the road? I guess it’s possible. Kind of holding my nose from that particular avenue of treatment. We’re going to keep him off the ice certain days, other days, he’s full go. This time, we can’t play him like this, because he’ll just aggravate it. That’s what they tell me and off we go.”

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Dudes been hurt for several consecutive seasons and three playoffs in a row. Do what you need to do for June. This team can make the playoffs without him if he needed surgery now like Crosby. I feel like he hasn't been healthy since that world cup injury.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Anyone who is anyone who is anyone close to someone who has a cousin who knows a relative of Bergeron and might see him US Turkey Day

Naughty words to Black Friday and all that but next Tuesday consult and Wednesday under the knife.

Nobody has ever said "glad you wore on early in the season and didn't address this right away" it's never how it works.

Either have the procedure or stay out until you're 134%, as Patrice Bergeron obviously 100% is not nearly enough and this sound like a season of 70% w/nagging injury otherwise.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Must be awful having a reoccuring injury, rehabbing it for months only for it to flare up after a few weeks.

Really hope Bergy feels better, I'd prefer the Bruins rest him for a long time if it meant he eventually fully recovered.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Thought I heard that surgery wasn't really an option, or would have been ineffective for what he has?
There was some article I ready before the season started which pretty much said he'd be dealing with this groin injury for the rest of his career.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Thought I heard that surgery wasn't really an option, or would have been ineffective for what he has?
There was some article I ready before the season started which pretty much said he'd be dealing with this groin injury for the rest of his career.

i won't link the article to give clicks but this is from preseason:

The 34-year-old Bruins center said that his balky groin is still “nagging him” with the start of training camp just a few days away, and Bergeron also confirmed that he needed a PRP shot over the summer to address the situation. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy uses injections of a concentration of a patient's own blood platelets to accelerate the healing of injured tendons, ligaments, muscles and joints.
Bergeron said he’s played the last few years through nagging groin problems and he’s hoping that the PRP treatment will once and for all address the situation. No. 37 said he’s not concerned about his readiness for opening night in October, and said it’s something he may have to play through for the rest of his career if the current treatment doesn’t fully alleviate the situation.
“It’s still a question where I’m not sure if I’m going to be limited [at the start of camp],” said Bergeron, who said the groin issue was also hampering him in the Stanley Cup Final against the Blues. “I feel better, but it’s still lingering a little bit. It’s been there most of the summer. I got a PRP shot in July and I’m slowly ramping it up on the ice. It’s what we’re trying to shoot for is more October than this Thursday.
“[The groin issues have] been going on for a few years now and something we talked about over the summer was being able to put it in the past. I should be able to play through it. It’s been there for a long time. With the PRP shot we hope that it’s one of those things where it takes some time for it to work. It’s getting better but it’s still there a little bit. I’m feeling good and I’m feeling positive that I’ll definitely be ready for the start of the season. That’s not even an issue.”

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
We have no divisional games between December 30 and February 9. If I had to schedule a player to have a surgery that could cause him to miss 6 weeks, Christmas Eve in the hospital sounds pretty good to me from a "gaming the system" standpoint. Probably the fewest games in a 6 week span, given that it would cover both the mini-break for the holidays and the larger "bye week". Maybe they're planning to limp long, having Bergeron play once or twice a week max, until the timing for the surgery looks idea.

That said, we're in a good playoff position. Bergeron out for six weeks starting today would REALLY hurt the team, and it wouldn't be a cakewalk. But we could easily have been doing this a few years ago, when our playoff position was constantly shaky.

That said, most of us have no idea exactly what the hernia situation is, or if the strain of playing will seriously make it worse in terms of benefit to the team. I just hope it doesn't have lingering effects for Bergeron himself - I saw somewhere online today mention that of the alumni they trotted out on the ice for the 2017 NHL All star, virtually none of them were able to walk normally.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
PRP injections are very hit and miss and based on disputed medical evidence, and in this case it sounds like the injection unfortunately hasn't done much good for Bergy.

It's questionable whether surgery is even an option for him. Some groin conditions can be surgically treated, and some can't. I would have thought that if his doctors thought they could get him under the knife in the off-season and get his injury sorted and healed within at least 4 months then would simply have done it, unless the procedure had a high degree of risk. So my strong suspicion is either that surgery is not a viable choice for him, or if it is then the chances are that it may not work or the recovery timeframe could vary significantly.

If they do decide to go down the road of an invasive procedure, then they need to bite the bullet and do it soon, by mid-December at the absolute latest. Otherwise it's just going to be ongoing management and therapy and hope that it sees him through the season. Tough call to make.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
i won't link the article to give clicks but this is from preseason:

The 34-year-old Bruins center said that his balky groin is still “nagging him” with the start of training camp just a few days away, and Bergeron also confirmed that he needed a PRP shot over the summer to address the situation. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy uses injections of a concentration of a patient's own blood platelets to accelerate the healing of injured tendons, ligaments, muscles and joints.
Bergeron said he’s played the last few years through nagging groin problems and he’s hoping that the PRP treatment will once and for all address the situation. No. 37 said he’s not concerned about his readiness for opening night in October, and said it’s something he may have to play through for the rest of his career if the current treatment doesn’t fully alleviate the situation.
“It’s still a question where I’m not sure if I’m going to be limited [at the start of camp],” said Bergeron, who said the groin issue was also hampering him in the Stanley Cup Final against the Blues. “I feel better, but it’s still lingering a little bit. It’s been there most of the summer. I got a PRP shot in July and I’m slowly ramping it up on the ice. It’s what we’re trying to shoot for is more October than this Thursday.
“[The groin issues have] been going on for a few years now and something we talked about over the summer was being able to put it in the past. I should be able to play through it. It’s been there for a long time. With the PRP shot we hope that it’s one of those things where it takes some time for it to work. It’s getting better but it’s still there a little bit. I’m feeling good and I’m feeling positive that I’ll definitely be ready for the start of the season. That’s not even an issue.”
My daughter had PRP treatment for a knee injury at Boston Children's Hospital. It was 12 injections at one treatment followed by 12 more at another. It is not covered by insurance as it is still experimental. The knee did heal but it took over a year

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
This week will determine what Management will push for. We need someone to replace Bergeron. If Studnicka can produce points while up I think they do the Crosby thing and we dont see Bergy again until February. Krejci, Studnicka, Lindholm, Kuraly, with Coyle on the wing is what I think they will try.

The obvious thing to do is to get it done and get him back for March. But we dont know how serious the surgury is and how long he would be out. If its a season ender then this could be a game changer for the entire Bruins season and every decision management has to make going forward.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah, he's already had two groin surgeries, no guarantee a third would solve the problem.

Just a lousy situation. :(

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I understand that deciding to have surgery is a major decision. On the other hand he's had this PRP treatment plus rest and it isn't working, or at least it isn't working well enough for him to play regularly & at the level he expects to play.

David Krejci went through the same deal with his hips before finally having surgery to correct the problems and look at how well he has played since.

I think Patrice needs to get it done now and come back in time for the playoffs. The Bruins can manage in the meantime.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Seriousely, shut him down and get him the best possible treatment. If that is surgery so let it be. Bergy is to valuable for the Bruins and I hope he has a lot of years still in him. I see him as a mentor for the kids and in a third line center role in the twilight of his career. Having the feeling it will only get worse, I mean didn't he sustain the injury in the world cup 2016. Thats three years ago already.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This week will determine what Management will push for. We need someone to replace Bergeron. If Studnicka can produce points while up I think they do the Crosby thing and we dont see Bergy again until February. Krejci, Studnicka, Lindholm, Kuraly, with Coyle on the wing is what I think they will try.

The obvious thing to do is to get it done and get him back for March. But we dont know how serious the surgury is and how long he would be out. If its a season ender then this could be a game changer for the entire Bruins season and every decision management has to make going forward.

I can't see Coyle not slotting into one of the top
2C slots. They go with that group of C you outlined
and he is out until February they will come
back to the pack in the Division. Coyle is far superior
to any center after Krejci.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I can't see Coyle not slotting into one of the top
2C slots. They go with that group of C you outlined
and he is out until February they will come
back to the pack in the Division. Coyle is far superior
to any center after Krejci.

Then who is playing wing? Studnicka or Lindholm?

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I'm not a doctor. I'm a fan of the Bruins. First I want Patrice to be healthy for life after hockey. Second, I want the Bruins to succeed. I think the sooner they do this the better, For sure.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Time to find the next Rich Peverley type NOW, and have him play center/slide him over to wing if and when Bergeron is right.

Shore up that center position or you’re DOA.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Time to find the next Rich Peverley type NOW, and have him play center/slide him over to wing if and when Bergeron is right.

Shore up that center position or you’re DOA.

We'll find out something about Studnicka in the next couple of games. He's young and probably needs some more development time, but you never know. An in-house solution would be fantastic.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad