Rumor: Boston Globe's Kevin Paul DuPont says....

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You do realize that will probably be pretty close to Dewey's number when he gets a new deal starting in 2019.

I could see Kopitar hitting that number of a cap hit at some point.

But there is not enough production out of Doughty (Right now) to even consider paying him that kind of money.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
You do realize that will probably be pretty close to Dewey's number when he gets a new deal starting in 2019.

The cap should be much higher than and the team should look different. How do we fit in that number right now with this current team? We can't. Nor could we for the next few years. Malkin would be a luxury and we don't need luxury right now. This team has weaknesses that needs to be addressed. I'd rather put that money toward Gaborik and another defender.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The cap should be much higher than and the team should look different. How do we fit in that number right now with this current team? We can't. Nor could we for the next few years. Malkin would be a luxury and we don't need luxury right now. This team has weaknesses that needs to be addressed. I'd rather put that money toward Gaborik and another defender.

I'm not saying it can be done, you just make it seem like you would never do it, when it will probably have to be done once, if not twice in the next 5 years.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
That's true but since the OP asked about the transfer in relation to SJS and the Pacific I found it weird that everyone derailed.

I am sure you are right but I would bet that it is because the topic is a good one regardless of the article and all of us are very team focused at the moment. That is my guess but no offence intended.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Slycer is right... I was wondering what fellow Kings fans would think of how acquiring Malkin would change the landscape of the Pacific Division from the Kings' perspective. If I gave any portion of Mickey Mouse's backside what Sharks fans thought of the move I would have asked them ;)

I guess I should have put it this way....

I read a speculative tweet from a reputable source who believes that San Jose could possibly be a destination for Geno Malkin IF the Penguins are interested in moving him this off-season....

1) What would you think the Sharks would give up to have him (if they are indeed interested)?
2) How much more/less dangerous would the Sharks then be to the Kings and the rest of the division (and the whole league)
3) What move(s), if any, would you imagine the Kings would have to make to keep up?

You are absolutely right.

Here is my answer to the original question then.

Pavelski Hertl 1st pick in 15

for

Malkin and Niskaaneeen?

I admittedly suck at these things though.

That move would make the Sharks a legitimate contender. The best center in the game today (if not best forward) with Fey Joe as your 2nd C? The price would be a dear one but the Sharks are loaded with talent throughout their system and could find a solid wing to replace TH. Adding a good Dman to their group who can skate would help them too.

Same goes for us, if we could nab Malkin to be our top C while keeping Kopi (or wherever they would be set) we would be able to say goodbye to our scoring woes. Of course the cost would be dear and I wouldn't make that deal but the Sharks simply have to do something to change things so I could see them going deep to get Malkin.

What would we do to keep up? Stay the course. Adding McNabb next season along with another SAHD
who can play shut down would set up our D back to the tops in the game again and then bringing up AndyA Shore Vey etc from our kid group as well as bringing back Gabby should give us the energy that we need to play up tempo shut down hockey which is what won us our cup and where I see us struggling since.

Pearson and Toffoli are great adds but we need more. I guess that is where I would start.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
does not fit unless you turf another core player (ie AK, DD, JQ, MR, JC, DB)

Heck I hadn't even considered the cost/cap constrictions.

I wouldn't make the move of what it would take to bring Malkin to the Kings or at least not with the way we are built today.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Love the guy, but if you could move Quick as the centerpiece of the deal and keep Carter, I'd do it for sure.

Quick/Toffoli/1st

Is that enough?

12/11/14
70/Malkin/77
74/28/23
Assorted Trash

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Not sure why anyone is making any offers...we're trying to be less like Pittsburgh, not more like them.

We need more decent quality players to make up our 4th line and bottom six...guys who are paid 3.5m to minimun who make a mil or two less than they should. We want quality players and cap spread throughout our line up, not concentrated in a few players.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Not sure why anyone is making any offers...we're trying to be less like Pittsburgh, not more like them.

We need more decent quality players to make up our 4th line and bottom six...guys who are paid 3.5m to minimun who make a mil or two less than they should. We want quality players and cap spread throughout our line up, not concentrated in a few players.

I couldn't agree more but it the reason to make offers is the same reason why some people like to look at super cars (Ferrari's Lambo's etc) when they aren't likely to own one for any number of reasons. It's fun to do but that doesn't mean you want to actually own one.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Am I the only one who doesn't like any idea of Malkin on this team? He just seem like a primadona to me.

That question asked to the writer is no different than anything you or I would ask to Bernstein. I wouldn't think anything to it.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Love the guy, but if you could move Quick as the centerpiece of the deal and keep Carter, I'd do it for sure.

Quick/Toffoli/1st

Is that enough?

12/11/14
70/Malkin/77
74/28/23
Assorted Trash

Pittsburgh would win multiple Cups with #32 in net.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Pittsburgh would win multiple Cups with #32 in net.

Exactly! So why would DL ever want to be the Dr Frankenstein who enabled that beast! I'd hate DL for life and in principle if he ever allowed that to happen.. Which I know (hope, pray) He'd never do.

If the Sharks do trade for Geno. It would likely have to be for Jumbo and Hertle or Pavelski. That would also be scary. Jumbo as a #2 behind Crosby would give him new life. Without the pressure of being #1C He could just be a super scary #2C and awesome temp #1C if Sid goes down. It would take the load off of him during the regular season and allow him to be fresh in the playoffs. And it would make the Pens top 6 even more dangerous. So glad we're not playing in the east if that happens.

Then imagine Pitts with Carter, Toff and quite likely Richards (after a Kings buyout to get $ for Geno and the ensuing scramble to acquire RC) Another scary scenario. A rounded out Carter who now plays solid two way hockey. An ever growing Hockey IQ'd kid in TT on Sids wing.. and a third line (2nd line fill in) warrior in Richards..

If we did trade for Geno who do we get to replace Carts? Gaborik at best and IF healthy is only a few years from retirement Stoll and Wlliams are solid but aging players who fit better on our 3rd line and whose best may be behind them. Pearson is solid but a 3rd (temp 2nd liner).

Yes I know this is very unlikely.... but it is fun if a little anxiety inducing to imagine what we could do if we were to be able to trade for Geno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad