Boston Garden of 1972 captured perfectly ( well almost)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Friends of Eddie Coyle was released in 1973 but the scene was filmed late in the 72 season. It captures the atmosphere of the old barn. The print has just be remastered and will been shown at a Boston theater next month.

Director Peter Yates decided to use handheld cameras and wireless mikes which was unheard of back then so the fans behind Mitchum and Boyle were NOT extras, they were simply fans at a game.

The only thing that is not authentic is the organ music. John Kiley the long time organist at Boston Garden HATED hockey and would go to a concession stand for coffee while the game was being played. Kiley was forced to start playing during games when the new owners 'The Jacobs Brothers' showed up around 1975.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Somerville Theater will be showing a restored print next month on March 11-12-13

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I saw this movie in the drive-in, it wasn't the feature so I didn't know what it was going to be about. I'd only been to the Garden about 4 or 5 times at that point. When they got to that scene I'm pretty sure I said, "Holy ****, its really the Garden!"

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Bought the Criterion Collection version last year, was nice to see it again....although I wouldn't mind seeing it on the big screen.

Way cool to see Cashman doing his thing to Keith Magnuson at the end of the clip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad