GDT: Boston College vs. Denver. Excel Energy Center (MN). 6pm EST. ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Impressive team defense from Denver. BC needs to simplify, get pucks on net and get gritty.

Edit: That pass by Zeev Buium just might do it.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
About all Leonard can use work on is his handles at times. It's nothing he realistically can't improve playing an NHL bottom six role IMO.

Crazy stat: the freshmen line hasn't gone pointless the entire season. 20 to go down 2-0.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Who is it? Don’t remember blocking anyone.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bitter loss. Bitter enough to return to atone for a game they may or may not get to? We'll find out soon.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Tough loss. Hope Leonard chooses to go play professional.
IMG_4879.jpeg

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Zeev Buium is the top defenseman in the draft, he’s so good
I think he's definitely the smartest all-around today. I don't doubt he ends up the best, even if he lacks the size of many of the alternatives.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think he's definitely the smartest all-around today. I don't doubt he ends up the best, even if he lacks the size of many of the alternatives.
His movements, subtle fakes, breakouts, passing…it’s all top tier. He’s a very good defender as well. Not soft, physical when he needs to be, effective at breaking up plays in transition…it’s all there

His movement at the blue line reminds me of Makar when he was in college. His skating surely isn’t there yet and maybe not quite as flashy, but he generates offense in similar ways. I’m starting to buy the Adam Fox comparisons too

Only thing against him is he’s not 6’2”

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Denver knew they were outgunned when it came to offensive talent and they played the conservative defensive trap game perfectly. Combine that with an outstanding goalie performance, and you have a recipe for an upset. After they got the first goal, it was clear that the rest of the game was going to look like an early 2000's Devils game.

BC needed to change strategies when it was obvious they were having trouble breaking the trap. The DU goalie played well, but he wasn't facing many high difficulty chances until the third period. They needed to get more traffic to the net and look for screens and greasy goals. There wasn't enough desperation in their game until later on, but it was already too late.

Not sure if Leonard will go pro or not. I think his odds of coming to the Caps next year would be greater if BC had won. Being so close to winning a championship could inspire him and his buddies to stay another year, but there are just as many reasons for some of them to turn pro. Their team will probably look a lot different next year.

Personally, I don't think Leonard has much more to learn at the college level. I wouldn't blame him for staying another year for his own personal reasons, but his career development would be best served by coming to the Caps. Guess we'll just have to wait a little longer to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad