Speculation: Boston Bruins rumoured to be interested in bolstering their centre position

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It all goes back to the 2025 drsft where they could have picked Barzal, Connor, chabot in 1st, and hints in 2nd.

Beecher and Lysell are the only top 50 draftEd players picked by Boston in the last 5 drafts.

• Haha
Reactions: hn777 and Curufinwe

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
It all goes back to the 2025 drsft where they could have picked Barzal, Connor, chabot in 1st, and hints in 2nd.

Beecher and Lysell are the only top 50 draftEd players picked by Boston in the last 5 drafts.
Do you sit and watch the lottery, and say to yourself "I was going to pick those numbers"...

Every draft has players in hindsight that should have gone higher, that's the challenge with drafting because when you are projecting players there is no hindsight.

I get that Boston flubbed that draft, but it's not like they haven't been a dominant team without those prospective players.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Do you sit and watch the lottery, and say to yourself "I was going to pick those numbers"...

Every draft has players in hindsight that should have gone higher, that's the challenge with drafting because when you are projecting players there is no hindsight.

I get that Boston flubbed that draft, but it's not like they haven't been a dominant team without those prospective players.

Those just weren’t in hindsight.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the Bruins are done for the summer, unless they have to move out a contract as a result of the Swayman arbitration decision. If the team is hanging in or around a playoff spot at the deadline then they'll look to add a center.
Looks like they can be under the cap with a 22 man roster just by waiving Mitchell

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$83,070,834$4,500,000$500,000$429,166

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I look at the Bruins cap and try to find a player to remove etc. But it's not really till neT year movement can happen it feels.

If Calgary does not sign Lindholm they should go after him and offer a contract. That would look really good for them.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think Suter would give them some cheap Center depth. You can’t really replace Bergerons production or 2-way game with any center still available…

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The only transaction I can see is for Lindholm. He carries a low cap hit that can be swapped out. If it happens, it would be DeBrusk+, I just don't know what the + would be. Almost certainly one of Lysell or Lohrei, I just don't know what else. I think Swayman is off the table.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Bruins have depth Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Frederick, Brown. The problem is we have no first line center. And basically 4 3rd line centers.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Unironically, if they could get JT Miller for a decent price and convince Toews to come in as a 3C they'd be in really good shape. Put one of Zacha/Coyle at 2C and use the other as a winger or injury replacement C and they're set
Toews retired, I think?

Aside from debating whether JT Miller is the RIGHT center to come in, logistically the following would need to be worked out. This would apply to any center coming back.

Cap needs to work going both ways, Bruins currently have 429k of cap space with a 22 man roster.

Likely candidates:
Combination of the following:
Charlie Coyle 5.25M x 3
Jake Debrusk 4M x 1
Brandon Carlo 4.1M x 4
Matt Gryzelcyk 3.6M x 1
Derek Forbort 3M x1
Jakub Zboril 1.1M x 1

Obviously some of those guys on that list hold more value than others. But ideally any deal where the Bruins can ice a 23 man roster without cap gymnastics the better.

JT Miller 8M x 7 currently has an NMC, Bruins likely would be able to move an LD (Gryz or Forbort) as at least one of the players. But that's an awful long contract if he's not the guy they want.

Not advocating for Miller, but those are likely players with salary that could be moved. Miller has term, so I doubt retention is realistic. Whether or not JT Miller is the guy the Bruins want long term, that's very debatable, but open to exploring options.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Bruins have depth Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Frederick, Brown. The problem is we have no first line center. And basically 4 3rd line centers.
Averaged out you are probably correct.

Zacha is probably an ok #2 on a team with a real #1
Coyle is a solid #3 paid closer to a #2, so i'd say he's realistically middle 6 on almost all NHL teams
Geekie/Frederic, I'd agree, at best they are #3C.
Brown, is he even a number 3? I wouldn't say he's even a lock for our lineup.

So agreed, averaged out to 4 3rd line centers

Lack of cap space and needing to move salary to fit anyone of note coming back, and #1C's typically aren't on the block unless they are expiring or overall problematic.

Don't know how they are acquiring that unless one of the ones on the block made it clear they want to come to Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad