Trade: [BOS/WSH/MEM] Kristaps Porzingis to BOS, Marcus Smart to MEM, Tyus Jones to WSH

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Celtics also pick up a pair of 1st round picks in the deal ( 25th overall this draft from Memphis and a future 1st round pick from Memphis vis Golden State - top 4 protected in 2024 and top 1 protected in 2025 ). Boston is also sending Gallinari, Mike Muscala and a 2nd round pick ( via Atlanta - 35th overall ) in this draft to Washington. So the final version ( right now ) looks like this:

to Boston: Porzingis, 25th pick in 2023 NBA Draft and a future 1st round pick from Memphis via Golden State
to Washington: Tyrus Jones, Danillo Gallinari, Mike Muscala and 35th overall pick in 2024 NBA Draft
to Memphis: Marcus Smart

I like Smart but I really like this version of the trade better than the previous one announced. So thanks Clippers for backing out. :thumbu:

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Now I wonder what the C's will do with Brogdon ???? NBA players are so sensitive about being included in trade rumours that Brogdon might tell Brad Stevens that he just can't see himself being happy in Boston since he no longer feels wanted by the organization.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
good add for memphis with morant suspended. i'm surprised boston would trade a "heart and soul" guy like smart

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m glad to see Smart go. Does Brogdon still stay?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
One big thing that might sway Brogdon into sticking around is that now with Smart gone he should get more minutes. He still might not start but he definitely should get more playing time. :nod:

Reactions: GKJ

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Brogdan is hurt
Boston tried pulling a fast one it seems on the Clippers. He has a significant injury per Windhorst, most likely unmoveable for the time being.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Man I’m okay not getting Brogdon if the injuries were a concern, but why couldn’t we have paid a little bit more and gotten Smart? He would have been a perfect fit next to PG and Kawhi. Would have been terrifying defensively.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Interesting move. Funny enough, I actually know someone high in the know with the Celtics. Asked him back before the season started if he had any exciting info on what to expect for the season. He basically said if you were to make any bet on the Celtics this season, bet on Marcus Smart being traded. This was back in September right after Smart was coming off his DPOY-winning season. That was the extent to what he could tell me regarding the situation, but he said the front office wanted to move on and to expect him to be gone by the end of the season.

I can assure you the guy who told me this is legit. They've been shopping Smart around since the 2022 draft trying to trade him in a win now deal like this one (but they were looking to potentially get a top 12 or so pick in 2022 because they absoluteluy loved Ousmane Dieng). Pretty shocking given he definitely is the heart of the team but I guess they have their reasons.

Sep 19, 2008

I'll always remember Porzingis being happy to wait by as I awkwardly tried to grab my sharpie out of my jacket. He could have just walked by but he patiently waited until I got my picture and sharpie ready for autographs. He was a good one here.

This sucks but it had to be done to clear up space and rebuild

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Celtics really should've traded Brown. I can't stand Smart's flopping but he was the only dude in that core who truly seemed like he wanted to win. Hell not just wanted to win but would die for the team and winning. Brown doesn't have the intensity and Tatum is a gutless baby who cries any time things don't go his way. Porzingis is talented but injury prone and they'll just get worse on defense. And they have him for 1 year before they likely have to decide between him and Brown anyways...

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
So glad they moved on from Smart. They basically have Smart-lite in Derrick White and he can actually shoot. Smart was such a liability at the end of games. Teams could help off Smart and it made life difficult for the Js. Just thankful I never have to witness the ball in Marcus Smarts hands with the game on the line ever again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad