Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] F Pavel Zacha signs extension with the Bruins (4 years, $4.75M AAV)

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Happy for Zacha. It wasn't clicking over here. Interesting what could have been, since the Devils turned it around. Him being with Boston did well for him. Kind of like if he couldn't succeed there... then it was never gonna happen. Contract is fine

Reactions: b in vancouver

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ask many if not most of the Devils board, heart/effort was the biggest issue

You WANT all your players to be high effort even when the team isn't good. You NEED your leaders to be like that. Expectations for Zacha are different here since he wasn't our super high pick, obviously. Bruins just want him to be the 5th or 6th best forward at most during the life of that contract.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's curious how many Devils fans refuse to believe he elevated his play this season. He's not a perfect player, definitely could use some work on shot accuracy and finishing ability. But he's been very solid overall, on pace for about 50 points. I think this contract is maybe like a half million dollar per year overpayment, which isn't a huge deal necessarily but we are pressed with cap space so it's something to keep in mind. I think he can improve even more, particularly in the goal department, let's just hope he doesn't get complacent.

On a side note, having a good game so far with a goal and an assist in the 1st period.

He was drafted in one of our worst era's and was everything wrong in a player in the 2015-2022 Devils. Was some of it our fault for not being able to build a proper team? Sure, but the guy was playing was Hischier and Bratt for most of his time here and still looked lost and sunk that line. Both of those guys are near PPG players with him gone, I have nothing against Zacha and hope he does well like most other Devils fans who end up elsewhere but there's reasons why Devils fans rag on him. Not to mention, we've seen Zacha go through hot streaks before him just absolutely flaming out eventually. He led us in points in 2021 only to be a 35 point player last year.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's curious how many Devils fans refuse to believe he elevated his play this season. He's not a perfect player, definitely could use some work on shot accuracy and finishing ability. But he's been very solid overall, on pace for about 50 points. I think this contract is maybe like a half million dollar per year overpayment, which isn't a huge deal necessarily but we are pressed with cap space so it's something to keep in mind. I think he can improve even more, particularly in the goal department, let's just hope he doesn't get complacent.

On a side note, having a good game so far with a goal and an assist in the 1st period.
Devils fans have seen him "elevate his play" for stretches before, only to have him disappear again. Maybe going to Boston really did unlock something for him and he can consistently be, if not a player worthy of his draft position, at least a good player. Hopefully he doesn't revert to his old ways and a year from now the same fans who are happy with him now are wondering what exactly they paid for.

Reactions: My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
All tools, no toolbox. Plug him into an already great team and he has enough raw talent to tread water, but the second you give him any sort of actual responsibility he immediately crumbles.

The Devils waited 6 years for him to show he was anything and he consistently failed. Top line, middle-six, bottom line, PP, PK, center, wing, checking line, two-way, offense only. He failed at everything.

He has shown flashes of turning it around before only to pull the rug out from under you every single time. I'm going to put much more weight into that large body of work that I will the most recent 40 games. Good for Pav for getting his bag, and if I'm wrong then so be it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Boston fans change their tune in 12 months when the honeymoon period ends.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
He reminds me a lot of Coyle "ish".
Biggest difference is Coyle will try to stick handle through a team and sometimes lose possession while Zacha will make a quick smart pass.

But when Coyle goes into playoffs beast mode he transforms into a #1 type C sometimes for a game or series. It doesn't happen often, tbh it rarely happens but when it does its a joy to watch. I dont know if Zacha has that type of intensity in him though, time will tell.

We only have middle 6 expectations for Zacha though.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Ask many if not most of the Devils board, heart/effort was the biggest issue
As a Bruins fan I was worried about that.
I knew Zacha was big and talented but inconsistency grates on me - so I wasn't a fan of the trade. Not because I loved Haula and didn't know Zacha was better, but didn't want them bringing in someone who never showed up every game. As that drives me nuts.

But he's been really consistent. I'm eating crow on that. He's shown up.
Hopefully the goal-scoring shows up a bit more but, like Taylor Hall when he's not producing, I have no problem with Zacha as he's putting in the effort and playing the right way. No one outside of Pasta is racking up points this year but everyone is pulling their weight and Zacha's a big part of that.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
All tools, no toolbox. Plug him into an already great team and he has enough raw talent to tread water, but the second you give him any sort of actual responsibility he immediately crumbles.

The Devils waited 6 years for him to show he was anything and he consistently failed. Top line, middle-six, bottom line, PP, PK, center, wing, checking line, two-way, offense only. He failed at everything.

He has shown flashes of turning it around before only to pull the rug out from under you every single time. I'm going to put much more weight into that large body of work that I will the most recent 40 games. Good for Pav for getting his bag, and if I'm wrong then so be it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Boston fans change their tune in 12 months when the honeymoon period ends.
I completely understand why Devils fans grew frustrated with him. I would have also.
But it honestly looks like a 'change of scenery' thing as compared to a small sample size.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
All I see in the detractors here are folks with a sunk cost and/or wrong expectations of a player. He's not a first line player. He's inconsistent. So is every 2nd and 3rd line player in the league. If they weren't, they'd be making 9 million a year.
But he went to a better team, for a lesser role, and it's playing a bit better. He's playing close to his best pts per game ever, playing less minutes, and half the PP time. On top of that he's good defensively and his coach can used him that way. Figure it the f*** out.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Bruins are having a fantastic season and have a veteran laden and led team. As many have noted, Zacha gets to toil in obscurity playing a reduced role. If he has a local girlfriend, so much the better. The issue with him will be if the veterans start retiring and/or taking a step back next season. As forward 6 or 7 in the lineup he will be fine. As forward 4 or 5 in the lineup he may be more troublesome. I think the vast majority of NJ fans wish him well and none will say he's a bad player. He's got all the talent you could ask for of a big player. His motivation can wax and wane and he has never seemed to relish being a "go to" player. NJ of course wanted him to be a core guy and he could never make that leap. He needed to move on from NJ and if he can succeed anywhere it is with Boston. Best of luck to him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I don't think there is a single Devil fan that is questioning his play/ability, it's his consistency and intensity that ebbs and flows.

We have actually seen him look like an All-Star for a week or so only to disappear for a month.

In fact I think you and Bruin fans are actually seeing the inconsistencies and you don't even know it yet ...I have seen many Bruin fans comment on improving his shot...truth is, he has a fantastic shot but you just don't see it often. You are going to see a couple of games where Zacha unleashes a laser beam then you won't see it again for another month or maybe more...it how it's been forever...he doesn't need to improve his shot he needs to improve his intensity and approach to the game.

I rooted for him his entire time in NJ and I still wish him well but I'm not sure he'll ever get his head in the right place to realize his potential...I honestly hope he does.

All that said I think 4 years 4.75 is just fine for what Pavel brings to the table.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
As a Bruins fan I was worried about that.
I knew Zacha was big and talented but inconsistency grates on me - so I wasn't a fan of the trade. Not because I loved Haula and didn't know Zacha was better, but didn't want them bringing in someone who never showed up every game. As that drives me nuts.

But he's been really consistent. I'm eating crow on that. He's shown up.
Hopefully the goal-scoring shows up a bit more but, like Taylor Hall when he's not producing, I have no problem with Zacha as he's putting in the effort and playing the right way. No one outside of Pasta is racking up points this year but everyone is pulling their weight and Zacha's a big part of that.
That makes me happy. As I mentioned I was one of the few left who still liked his game. Just didn't see it enough but I didn't want to give up. Glad the change of scenery has helped. He's got all the ability just needs to find that extra gear.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I don't think there is a single Devil fan that is questioning his play/ability, it's his consistency and intensity that ebbs and flows.

We have actually seen him look like an All-Star for a week or so only to disappear for a month.

In fact I think you and Bruin fans are actually seeing the inconsistencies and you don't even know it yet ...I have seen many Bruin fans comment on improving his shot...truth is, he has a fantastic shot but you just don't see it often. You are going to see a couple of games where Zacha unleashes a laser beam then you won't see it again for another month or maybe more...it how it's been forever...he doesn't need to improve his shot he needs to improve his intensity and approach to the game.

I rooted for him his entire time in NJ and I still wish him well but I'm not sure he'll ever get his head in the right place to realize his potential...I honestly hope he does.

All that said I think 4 years 4.75 is just fine for what Pavel brings to the table.

I think expectation plays a large role. I don't think there is any expectation or hope that Zacha becomes something more than what he already is. They traded for a versatile middle-six forward and that's what they've got so far. Inconsistencies are kind of expected in that zone IMO. That's what separates the likes of Hall, DeBrusk, Coyle, Smith etc from those that drive the ship like Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak.

The one thing I will say about Zacha is that his defensive game came as a surprise. He's been remarkably consistent in that area, even when the scoring isn't there. DeBrusk had a similar coming of age moment last year. Contributing even when the offense isn't clicking and not letting that impact the rest of his game. To the point where DeBrusk has been one of their most consistent game in and game out all around players..... this after 3 or 4 years of wild streaky play.

Devils fans have been watching him since he was a teenager. They have the book on his career. Can't argue that. It's was also his age 18-24 chunk of his career after being a 6th overall pick. It's understandable why they would always want/expect more when he starts to heat up.... only to have it followed by more disappointment. It was time to move on.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Could it be that the bruins could use him in a trade for horvat or chycrun as part of a deal with Carlo as well!

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I like Zacha but that's a pretty ridiculous comment. LeClair was a 50 goal scorer in his prime.
Yea I overdid that one lol. Maybe Ryan strome from oilers to rags for spooner.

Could it be that the bruins could use him in a trade for horvat or chycrun as part of a deal with Carlo as well!
Nah zacha excellent production and carlo is too important back there with his octopus stick poking the opposition away.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Zacha is playing with one of his heroes (Krecji) and the best Czech player in the world (Pasta). The Bs locker room is loaded with leadership, with Bergeron at the top. The standard of play/effort for the Bruins is very high, and that standard applies to Zacha. And he has responded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad