Waived: [BOS] D Jakub Zboril waived by the Bruins (cleared)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Not to mention..

20: Eriksson-Ek
23: Boeser
24: Konecny

I’m no big JDB fan, but not being a star doesn’t make a mid first rounder a bad pick.

It does when both were considered reaches and they picked them over prospects that were expected to go in that range that went on to become stars like Barzal, for example. Boston would have very likely won 1-2 more Cups since 2015 had they not botched that 1st round so badly.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not to mention..

Yeah but people also like to omit that 12 and 19 were also busts. 12, 13, 15, 19 were busts. 14, 16, 17, 18 were not busts. The Senyshyn pick was awful. But the Bruins have had their fair share of surprises, too, with Pasta, McAvoy, Swayman and it appears Poitras.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Did you know Boston had 3 straight picks in the 2015 Draft which was the best draft in over a decade and they took two busts and Jake DeBrusk who is OK? Had they drafted better, it's scary how many Cups they might have won. I know I'm the first to mention it.

Unless you post corroborating evidence, I don't believe you.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It's too bad the Bruins can't draft, it's not like they currently have 14 players on their NHL roster that they drafted. :sarcasm:

Regarding Zboril, he has the tools but no toolbox. He shows flashes of being a top 4D, but he can't put it all together. It's a shame because the Bruins could have used someone with his skillset.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I’m no big JDB fan, but not being a star doesn’t make a mid first rounder a bad pick.
I remember watching that draft pretty clearly, the pundits had JDB going in the second round and Sensyshyn in the 4th or 5th. They were scrambling to find the write-ups on them because they weren’t day 1 material. The analysts were baffled. If Boston picked him in the second round, it would’ve been a great pick.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It does when both were considered reaches and they picked them over prospects that were expected to go in that range that went on to become stars like Barzal, for example. Boston would have very likely won 1-2 more Cups since 2015 had they not botched that 1st round so badly.
The Bruins arguably could have won a cup if Marchand didn't go for an early line change.

Could have Barzal made a difference? Sure, has he currently made a difference for his team? Would haves, could haves, and should haves could be thrown out all day. What a lot of folks are ignoring is how pivotal the Mojo-Coyle-Heinen line was during the Bruins' cup run, and having Barzal could have meant the Bruins never trading for Coyle in the first place.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Backs1r9m

Dec 12, 2023
Not to mention..

But they hit on much more impactful players in Pastrnak and McAvoy instead that a lot of big smart teams passed on. And prior to his hot streak this year no one put Boeser ahead of DeBrusk for a while. They hit on Swayman as well plus Poitras and Lohrei looking like huge steals.

The real good players from 2015 came in the 2nd round and later with Aho, Hintz, Cernak, Dunn, Andersson, Cirelli, Kaprizov, Gavrikov, Terry

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Red Wings fans were dancing in the streets when Zadina fell to them in 2018, and were ready to riot when they reached for Seider in 2019. Funny how things work out.

Last night's game, Zadina had a golden opportunity to pick up a loose puck and sweep around the net for a shot maybe even a wraparound and my eyes lit up I was so excited I was like go Zadina go!! and then....he caught an edge, missed the puck completely and the defender behind him took the puck. Oh Zadina he has such bad luck (or is it bad suck lol)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah but people also like to omit that 12 and 19 were also busts. 12, 13, 15, 19 were busts. 14, 16, 17, 18 were not busts. The Senyshyn pick was awful. But the Bruins have had their fair share of surprises, too, with Pasta, McAvoy, Swayman and it appears Poitras.

Yes but the discussion is about Zboril being a bad pick. Not a bust. If they had picked one of the busts it wouldn't have been a bad pick.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Did you know Boston had 3 straight picks in the 2015 Draft which was the best draft in over a decade and they took two busts and Jake DeBrusk who is OK? Had they drafted better, it's scary how many Cups they might have won. I know I'm the first to mention it.
Sounds like something Rangers would do

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Know what's funnier?

Debrusk was part of the group that pressured ownership to fire Bruce Cassidy, who then went on to raise the Cup in the same season. :laugh:

Reactions: WhataKnight

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Boston has been more good than bad for drafting. 2015 first rounder is the only real outlier (outside of Vaak) even then their other rounds in 2015 weren't bad at all. Jake Debrusk shouldn't even be considered a bust, most teams would be happy to get a pleyer like him in most years.

2014:
David Pastrnak
- He was the pick of the draft! To get an elite 1st liner who's had 100 point seasons and a rocket is extremely rare this late in the first.
Ryan Donato - Although he's not a star, he's a decent role player. Only 3 guys in the back half of the second played 300 games and he's one of them.
Danton Heinen - Has already played 431 games, a reliable middle six guy who has even had a 47 point season. That's a win in the 4th.
Anders Bjork - Although not a very good nhler, he's still a guy who's played over 200 nhl games. As a 5th round pick, you can't complain about that.

2015:
Outside of the disastrous 1st, you still got Brandon Carlo in the 2nd, Jeremy Lauzon in the late 2nd and Dan Vladar in the 3rd. That's 3 nhlers past the 1st round.

2016:
Charlie Mcavoy
at 14 is a huge win. Arguably the third best player of the draft.
Ryan Lindgren in the 2nd is a great pick, he's a good middle six dman.
Oskar Steen has already 39 games under his belt, that's good enough for 5th out of 30 6th round picks. Can't complain about that.

2017:
Ignore Vaak, but Swayman is a start and you got him in the 4th, even Stud has the most games out of the players in his range (51-62)

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I remember watching that draft pretty clearly, the pundits had JDB going in the second round and Sensyshyn in the 4th or 5th. They were scrambling to find the write-ups on them because they weren’t day 1 material. The analysts were baffled. If Boston picked him in the second round, it would’ve been a great pick.

Your memory sounds flawed.

DeBrusk was very much slated for the 1st round. At least according to TSN (Button), McKeens, SportsNet (Cox), Future Considerations, Hockey Prospectus, ISS, TSN (McKenzie)...like it was 5-10 picks early, but they were not scrambling on DeBrusk. Most had him around 20, and NHL.com had him at 19.

Even Senyshyn was a fast riser coming into the draft. NHL.com, for instance, had him as an early 2nd rounder and they had him as a late 2nd rounder at the midterm report: 2015 Draft Prospect Rankings

Boston has been more good than bad for drafting. 2015 first rounder is the only real outlier (outside of Vaak) even then their other rounds in 2015 weren't bad at all. Jake Debrusk shouldn't even be considered a bust, most teams would be happy to get a pleyer like him in most years.

2014:
David Pastrnak
- He was the pick of the draft! To get an elite 1st liner who's had 100 point seasons and a rocket is extremely rare this late in the first.
Ryan Donato - Although he's not a star, he's a decent role player. Only 3 guys in the back half of the second played 300 games and he's one of them.
Danton Heinen - Has already played 431 games, a reliable middle six guy who has even had a 47 point season. That's a win in the 4th.
Anders Bjork - Although not a very good nhler, he's still a guy who's played over 200 nhl games. As a 5th round pick, you can't complain about that.

2015:
Outside of the disastrous 1st, you still got Brandon Carlo in the 2nd, Jeremy Lauzon in the late 2nd and Dan Vladar in the 3rd. That's 3 nhlers past the 1st round.

2016:
Charlie Mcavoy
at 14 is a huge win. Arguably the third best player of the draft.
Ryan Lindgren in the 2nd is a great pick, he's a good middle six dman.
Oskar Steen has already 39 games under his belt, that's good enough for 5th out of 30 6th round picks. Can't complain about that.

2017:
Ignore Vaak, but Swayman is a start and you got him in the 4th, even Stud has the most games out of the players in his range (51-62)

Senyshyn instead of Barzal and Vaak instead of Thomas hurt.

I get not liking Barzal's game as a perimeter passer. But my impression is that Thomas was their guy in 2017 going into the draft but a scouting banging on the table and arguing passionately for Vaak made them change course. That one hurts more.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs are falling out of the NHL at a high rate this season.lol

I was always a fan but it seems the return to Europe is imminent. I can't see anyone picking him up.

Last year he went to the World's and was a 5/6 for an awful Czech team so I cant' even say it's some kind of bias.

Another Czech with little hopes of NHL future... and on D nonetheless where we suck.

See you at the World's in Prague Jakub! If you make it as you have other NHL castoffs to deal with... Galvas, Kral, Hajek and Kempny. Simek maybe too!

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
What is this a 8 year old joke now.. cool cool

Maybe those teams behind us should be thanking us cause your teams are still dumpster fire with those players

:naughty: Bazinga

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

See 2 posts before yours or post #2 from the thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad