Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Zdeno Chara to an extension (1 year, $5M + $1.75M in bonuses]

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Meanwhile weber wont be able to skate backward when he hits 35!

Good signing for boston! Specially the term, just just his aura around the team is worth it!

Reactions: Dan Kelly

member 147413

He’s looked very slow in games against the Leafs this year. Maybe it’s just cause the Leafs are a fast team, but as a fan, he doesn’t worry/concern me when we play the Bruins. Only that he’ll injure someone in the playoffs because he’s pretty good at that.

The post may read somewhat bias/bitter, but I think it’s a fair contract and he’s had a great career. Good deal for all he brings off the ice and to the locker room.

As a rival fan, this does nothing for me either way.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
He’s looked very slow in games against the Leafs this year. Maybe it’s just cause the Leafs are a fast team, but as a fan, he doesn’t worry/concern me when we play the Bruins. Only that he’ll injure someone in the playoffs because he’s pretty good at that.

The post may read somewhat bias/bitter, but I think it’s a fair contract and he’s had a great career. Good deal for all he brings off the ice and to the locker room.

How many times has Chara been suspended in his career? How many times has he injured people with dirty hits? Don't bring up Patches because it wasn't dirty, it was at an unfortunate spot on the ice that made it a lot worse.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Chara can still play, even in a reduced role. This is a great deal for the Bruins. Well done. And for me I like seeing 33 in the league with a C and a B on his jersey.

Reactions: b in vancouver

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

McAvoy is the driver of that pairing and Toronto isn't a great matchup for Chara at 5 on 5. But, its a pairing that is amongst the leagues best and the singular best this season at goal prevention. On the PK Chara is still at the very top of the elite.

Reactions: FishManSam

member 147413

How many times has Chara been suspended in his career? How many times has he injured people with dirty hits? Don't bring up Patches because it wasn't dirty, it was at an unfortunate spot on the ice that made it a lot worse.
That wasn’t what I was suggesting. He’s a big player that plays physical, he wears down opponents. He’s fairly liberal with crosschecks but nothing I’d call malicious.

Hockey is a contact sport and he doesn’t “hold back” from being physical and I wouldn’t expect him to.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
[MOD]

Chara is still a good defenceman, gotta wonder if his speed becomes a big problem next season though as it has looked bad at times already this year

As others said, he is as slow as he has always been, or even a littler faster. Game has gotten faster, and Toronto isn't the best matchup for him with their speed.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Its actually funny that opposing fans say Chara is slower, but those who've watched him and see his skating improved quite a bit from last season. I also wonder if people for forget that Chara's never been a fast skater, he's relied on his reach that he's been blessed with due to his 6'9 stature.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018

Umm go away lol..hope we see you soon:laugh: Wtg DS

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
With his conditioning, realistically I don't see any reason for a drop-off. He already had his biggest drop-off a few years ago, but is still a legitimate top-pairing D-man who is as strong as ever on the PK. That reach isn't just going to disappear.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Is there better ufa signing ever?

Can't think of a better one.
That summer was pretty ridiculous for the Bruins. Signed Chara and Marc Savard, traded for Rask, and drafted Kessel, Marchand and Lcic.
If memory serves they also signed Tim Thomas to a dirt cheap extension near the end of the season.

Reactions: Silva

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
happy to see there is still some guys a bit older than me still in the league - keep playing Chara, always gives me hopes of lacing them up and signing as a walk on.,..hahaha

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Considering he's a #1 defenseman right now god forbid his game drops a bit he's still a fantastic #2 or #3 and totally worth the price.

Great deal. Love the guy.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
Can't think of a better one.
That summer was pretty ridiculous for the Bruins. Signed Chara and Marc Savard, traded for Rask, and drafted Kessel, Marchand and Lcic.
If memory serves they also signed Tim Thomas to a dirt cheap extension near the end of the season.

Yes 3 years at $1.1M per for Thomas. That was a fantastic move by O'Connell right before he shown the door, often overlooked.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
After struggling with injuries a bit for the past few years (and adding McAvoy helps...), he's been awesome this season. So thrilled to have him back for at least another year. We have so many young defensemen who already have huge roles, there's no better mentor for them in the league than Z.

It's gonna be tough to watch him go. I'm glad that's delayed at least one year, and I'm glad he's one step closer to retiring as a Bruin en route to the rafters.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Makes sense. He's a Brady-level health nut so going year by year is a good decision. An all time bruin too.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
he has got an awesome instagram page. Very cool and inspiring stuff. Such a humble person. There are still people who thinks he is a monster. This could be mindblowing for them.

Reactions: xgallantx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad