Contract Termination: [BOS] Bruins part ways with Mitchell Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland

Statement from Bruins President Cam Neely:

"Today the Boston Bruins have decided to part ways with Mitchell Miller, effective immediately.

The decision to sign this young man was made after careful consideration of the facts as we were aware of them: that at 14-years-old he made a poor decision that led to a juvenile conviction. We understood this to be an isolated incident and that he had taken meaningful action to reform and was committed to ongoing personal development. Based on that understanding we offered him a contract.

Based on new information, we believe it is the best decision at this time to rescind the opportunity for Mitchell Miller to represent the Boston Bruins. We hope that he continues to work with professionals and programs to further his education and personal growth.

We owe it to our fans, players, staff, partners and community to make sure that our practices and protocols are in keeping with the ethos that we demand from ourselves and as an organization. As such, we will be reevaluating our internal processes for vetting individuals who wish to earn the privilege of playing in the National Hockey League for the Boston Bruins.

We are sorry that this decision has overshadowed the incredible work the members of our organization do to support diversity and inclusion efforts. We will continue to stand against bullying and racism in all of its forms.

To Isaiah and his family, my deepest apologies if this signing made you and other victims feel unseen and unheard. We apologize for the deep hurt and impact we have caused.

Finally, as a father, I think there is a lesson to be learned here for other young people. Be mindful of careless behaviors and going with the group mentality of hurting others. The repercussions can be felt for a lifetime."

Last edited by a moderator:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You didn't make important points. You initially tried to make it about yourself ("I was bullied in some capacity and I don't think this punishment is appropriate" more or less) and then were called on that being stupid and irrelevant and then got pissy and wrote some scattered incoherent nonsense that included a heinous hypothetical ("I could've said this terrible thing and I didn't!" like, who cares, man) and now are running around saying no one is paying attention to your actual point, which is supposedly that it's impossible to know how the victim really feels. Not that anyone could discern that from your previous posts or look past the absolutely disgusting argument you patted yourself on the back for not using. If you knew people would only pay attention to that, maybe don't write it?

On top of being absolutely terrible at conveying whatever you were trying to say, you're also wrong. Because the victim put out a statement two days ago.

We good here? Belly full yet?

So in your rational mind: This happened to me, this is what I would do = "I was bullied in some capacity and I don't think this punishment is appropriate". This is why I'm just going to stop here. I in no way commented about the punishment, only stating what I would have done. I only stated that if it was me, I wouldn't try to stop him from playing hockey. It's Isaiah and his family's choice to do what they want. So you already come into the conversation with terrible rationale.

Here, I'll help guide you since you need it. It's also a pinned comment at the top.

Yeah, that's great. We got a synopsis. Still not going to pretend I know how he feels.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I don't know, does he have to agree to everything he is asked about when there are other things he is committed to?

There is always two sides to a story so I really don't know to be honest. Him sitting down and having an interview would actually be a good thing. I can't imagine Rogers or anyone like that trying to actually do that, but it would be a good way to hear an unfiltered story on both sides. Here is the thing, does it sound like anyone on this thread would even be open minded enough to hear it? I doubt it. People have made up their minds on everything. To some this deserves a lifelong ban from the NHL. It is ludicrous and a horrible precedent. People get this weird idea I am trying to defend Miller's actions. Never once was that said, what I am trying to defend is that outright cancel culture should have no place in the NHL, nor the overreach from the Commish.

This is the thing with how things are in 2022. You can apologize and it doesn't matter. You can screw up, and in Logan Mailloux's case take a punishment for it, even go out of your way to tell NHL teams not to draft you this year because you want the chance to grow. But then someone drafts you and people STILL hate you and don't want you in the NHL. There is a lot of ugliness to this whole thing and this sort of mob mentality approach.

I think he deserves the opportunity for a 2nd chance once hes earned one. From what ive heard reported the only thing hes done is say the words “im sorry.” His agent has lied about the steps hes taken to better himself, the organizations he “volunteered” at claim to never have heard of him. With all that clutter, that 2nd chance hasnt been earned yet. Not for me. In fact i think the lying about his progress and proof of progress puts him in a worse spot than before. He may be years of true remorse away from a 2nd chance at the league. And by then what type of player will he still be. And some people dont change. If he lied about the steps hes taken to better himself has he bettered himself at all? Maybe hes just a bad dude who doesnt understand why his views are bad so hes currently unable to change. Its sad but It is what it is. Some people are just bad.

Not saying thats the case for him but time doesnt heal all wounds. He cant just wait out a storm. He actually has to change if he wants to play in the league. Just my two cents

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
So in your rational mind: This happened to me, this is what I would do = "I was bullied in some capacity and I don't think this punishment is appropriate". This is why I'm just going to stop here. I in no way commented about the punishment, only stating what I would have done. I only stated that if it was me, I wouldn't try to stop him from playing hockey. It's Isaiah and his family's choice to do what they want. So you already come into the conversation with terrible rationale.

Yeah, that's great. We got a synopsis. Still not going to pretend I know how he feels.
Are you saying I am pretending? Isaiah's words, no?

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Are you saying I am pretending? Isaiah's words, no?
I'm saying that we definitely get a good glimpse, but some things aren't easily expressed in words. So yes, we can say he feels horrible. But all the feelings that come with being bullied, he might never be able to accurately express or have even come to terms with. I mean, if you are just look for some surface reaction like shaking your head and saying this is heartbreaking. Then yes, that's exactly what it is. But on a deep emotional level...no idea what's happening inside that kid. He might not even know depending on how much his psyche has blocked out.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
I'm saying that we definitely get a good glimpse, but some things aren't easily expressed in words. So yes, we can say he feels horrible. But all the feelings that come with being bullied, he might never be able to accurately express or have even come to terms with. I mean, if you are just look for some surface reaction like shaking your head and saying this is heartbreaking. Then yes, that's exactly what it is. But on a deep emotional level...no idea what's happening inside that kid. He might not even know depending on how much his psyche has blocked out.
You're not coherent. What does that have to do with anything? What exactly is your argument?

Isaiah being special needs can still clearly articulate his feelings. Isaiah's has expressed himself with his statements that we can all see and has not forgiven Mitch Miller. He even accused Miller of lying to this very day.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Again that's not what I said, but keep twisting words. You should be a novelist!
That’s exactly what you said. You said it may have been a good thing he was handicapped. That’s literally your words.

That’s even ignoring he’s made statements that he very clearly knew what was going on.

It’s gross.

Reactions: HofT

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You're not coherent. What does that have to do with anything? What exactly is your argument?

Isaiah being special needs can still clearly articulate his feelings. Isaiah's has expressed himself with his statements that we can all see and has not forgiven Mitch Miller. He even accused Miller of lying to this very day.
Is your argument that you know exactly what Isaiah is feeling? Because I'm just saying I don't. It's as simple as that. Not sure how to make it anymore coherent.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That’s exactly what you said. You said it may have been a good thing he was handicapped. That’s literally your words.

That’s even ignoring he’s made statements that he very clearly knew what was going on.

It
I can't find where I wrote that anywhere. I went back and looked. Those are factually not my words. At this point you are just lying.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Is your argument that you know exactly what Isaiah is feeling? Because I'm just saying I don't. It's as simple as that. Not sure how to make it anymore coherent.

He should dictate a letter telling us how he feels. He could probably have it published through a medium for the public hear. That way, he doesn't risk hearing from John Q Public that maybe we don't know how he feels, and maybe everything is alright between the two.

Just a thought.........

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I know I would want to. Even if the media doesn't interview me I'd at least want to do a video over Twitter, unfiltered. Then post it. Obviously since it is a hot story it would be picked up and everyone would see it. I don't know why he isn't doing this, I've actually never heard him talk so I don't know what he'd say. But someone is likely telling him not to do this, at least right now. Could be legal issues at the moment they don't want to mess around with. Who knows. I would be interested in an unedited interview of him and if it were up to me he would do this.
Listen man, I know you are captain 'just asking questions'. Can you just realize the answer is 'because he's remorseless?'

I mean the evidence is overwhelming. Why won't anyone have him speak? Because he'll come across as an unrepentent psychopath like he did in his 2018 pre-draft interviews seems like the most reasonable answer.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I can't find where I wrote that anywhere. I went back and looked. Those are factually not my words. At this point you are just lying.

Referring, I believe, to this certified mumbo-jumbo:

In fact, him being developmentally disabled could actually have dampened the emotional impact as he may not even grasp the concept of racism. However, I won't make assumptions about that.

I mean, pretty semantic to say "it wouldn't be better" when you more or less implied that it could. "May have dampened the emotional impact" means what exactly--that his experience wasn't worse? Is there a word for that? Or just, you know, kinda different, in some nebulous sense. Christ.

It's especially peculiar because this whole multi-page exchange starts with you saying this:

I was bullied to no end in middle school and first couple years of high school. I had bus tape put in my hair and my mom had to cut it out...I guess because I'm not developmentally disabled... it doesn't matter what I think?

Like, what is your thing with this damn dismay toward the developmentally disabled? You're saying strange things and discounting the victim completely because of it. Your last few posts are spent saying that you basically can't understand or give any credence to the man's own f***ing words. It's bizarre. That's what's bothering a lot of us, I think.

You should really stick to prior commitments:

This is the last I'm going to say about it.

Last edited:

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
My argument is that Mitch Miller should not be handed an NHL contract and instead seek psychiatric help.

So, what is your real argument with you stating that you don't with 100% accuracy know what Isaiah is feeling? You made the outrageous statement that I called you out on and I have no idea why you're doubling down on it. You're now showing your arrogance and makes you look terrible. We very clearly know for a while Isaiah is capable of understanding what Miller did to him. Miller should not be handed an NHL contract and instead seek psychiatric help for his sociopathic mental health.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich Nixon

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Well would it matter at this point to you? I think people's minds are made up on this kid. For me I'd be willing to hear his story, and at least see his demeanor. To most I doubt it would matter. It doesn't fit the narrative to even have him share his story to the media, so I would be willing to bet they haven't asked him for a sit down interview. Or can you show me that they have?
After what's been said about his pre-draft interviews, his PR people, whoever they are, probably don't want him anywhere near the media

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Yet you including me in this, as I actually agree with most of what you said, is based purely on assumption. You've recreated 5 years of my life in your head based on a few posts of my comments about it. Everyone has their own personal struggles, and I'm not about to guess what they are. It's not good practice to assume. And based on your logic, there's nobody that will every share exactly what this kid went through as nobody is going to match the details of his bullying act for act. It still doesn't mean you can dismiss mine as unequal from a physical and psychological standpoint. In fact, him being developmentally disabled could actually have dampened the emotional impact as he may not even grasp the concept of racism. However, I won't make assumptions about that. It just illustrates again, the silliness of trying to compare with an ounce of the picture. I was sharing my own personal opinion, and my own philosophy on life. Forgiveness often sets you free, but people are unaware, or unwilling these days.

Lastly, whenever a topic like this is discussed sure, it's about Miller and Isaiah, but it's also evolved into a conversation about bullying, punishment, atonement etc. I imagine your intelligent enough to figure that out, just doesn't fit your argument so you'll probably ignore this.

This is the last I'm going to say about it. I'm not saying you don't need to reply. I'll still read what you write, I'm just not going to further discuss it as I've said what I need to say.

It’s gross.

It may not be exactly word for word yours but you're being disingenuous. What you stated essentially means the same thing that nbwingsfan is citing you on. That statement was pointless, ignorant and insensitive to make. It does not apply here and you know it.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Why are these so called hockey experts suggesting that the NHLPA would file a grievance?

Isnt the best court of action to just pay him AHL level salary. And tell him to stay at home? But also free to sign with another team/another league ?

Reactions: wintersej

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It may not be exactly word for word yours but you're being disingenuous. What you stated essentially means the same thing that nbwingsfan is citing you on. That statement was pointless, ignorant and insensitive to make. It does not apply here and you know it.
Doesn't mean the same thing at all. For instance, if North Korea bombs South Korea and picks a countryside area with a low population and I say, "It lessened the death toll due to the area hit" that does not equal, "It's good North Korea bombed South Korea in the countryside". The problem here is some people read my comment from an attacker standpoint like I made that comment in relation to Miller's actions. Miller's heinous acts aren't impacted by the victim at all in this case. They are worse because the kid probably wasn't equipped to protect himself well. My comment just had to do with how it 'could' have impacted him, if I was prone to make assumptions here like many want to do.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Doesn't mean the same thing at all. For instance, if North Korea bombs South Korea and picks a countryside area with a low population and I say, "It lessened the death toll due to the area hit" that does not equal, "It's good North Korea bombed South Korea in the countryside". The problem here is some people read my comment from an attacker standpoint like I made that comment in relation to Miller's actions. Miller's heinous acts aren't impacted by the victim at all in this case. They are worse because the kid probably wasn't equipped to protect himself well. My comment just had to do with how it 'could' have impacted him, if I was prone to make assumptions here like many want to do.
It's not an attacker's standpoint. For me, I don't understand what you're really arguing about. And your comment that some are picking on doesn't make sense in this case. It was unnecessary and ignorant given the known context of this story. That's it

Reactions: Rich Nixon

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

Why are these so called hockey experts suggesting that the NHLPA would file a grievance?

Isnt the best court of action to just pay him AHL level salary. And tell him to stay at home? But also free to sign with another team/another league ?
Why would the NHLPA even stand up for this guy? I get it they are there for the players, but this piece of shit doesn't deserve a union to see to his rights.

Maybe they should just telll him to stay at home and kill off his career doing nothing for three years. I don't think any team in any league bar Russia will take on this guy.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Why would the NHLPA even stand up for this guy? I get it they are there for the players, but this piece of shit doesn't deserve a union to see to his rights.

Maybe they should just telll him to stay at home and kill off his career doing nothing for three years. I don't think any team in any league bar Russia will take on this guy.
From the article: "For those wondering, filing a grievance on behalf of Miller does not mean that the NHLPA condones Miller’s previous actions and lack of remorse since; it is simply standard procedure."

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well would it matter at this point to you? I think people's minds are made up on this kid. For me I'd be willing to hear his story, and at least see his demeanor. To most I doubt it would matter. It doesn't fit the narrative to even have him share his story to the media, so I would be willing to bet they haven't asked him for a sit down interview. Or can you show me that they have?

He’s done newspaper interviews in the past, around the draft.

I think Miller would do a terrible job on camera with questions from a person familiar with the story.

I’m not sure what major media you think is refusing to cover this. Your theory is goofy and baseless.

Reactions: HofT

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany

Phil, what you don't seem to see, that in your position to be fair to the perpetrator, you are letting the victim down. And I don't mean the victim in the past, I think you are letting Isaiah down in the now.
As the twitter message clearly shows Isaiah feels preassured by Mitchell's attempts to get his ok, also he is clearly feeling hurt about his handling of this today. So he is still a victim and you only seem to care about Mitchell's wellbeing.

I'm personally usually not vindictive and as a German I'm very much used to a more rehalitation based approach in justice, so usually I wouldn't be that far off. But here, clearly, the situation is still not pacified (sorry, don't know how to say this in better English), so IMO the protection of the victim has to be considerd as well, not only the possible rehabilitation of Mitchell Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia