Proposal: BOS and NYI

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That’s fine. But as evidenced by Johnston’s contract. Which, is structured so he can be stored in the minors, and brought up without fear of being picked off waivers. Isles do not seem to care too much about cash savings.

So I guess the Isles/ Nelson are not a good fit for Boston. To be honest, with new management; none of us are sure how much they value Nelson. Lamoriello has made some complimentary remarks, and stated he will be on the roster. But GM’s and their public statements...

Yeah I don't think the OPs reasoning (Boston wants a top 6 RW and a #3C and might have Krug for sale) was bad, just not interested in paying a premium for Nelson with JFK and Frederic looking to fight for that #3C role. Would either want a guy that makes those prospects totally blocked because he is that good, or some guy on a one year deal to give them more time. Nelson is just fine and will want term.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
this is beyond bad for the Islanders both Nelson and Eberle are one year contracts and Krug and Backes add 12M to the cap for multiple years, we have a plethora of midget sized defenders as it is and Krug wouldnt help us, Backes is 34 and in a serious decline and has been for years, he most certainly isnt going to improve at his advanced age. 3 more years at 6M for a 3c which he is now is insane.
all those years of tough gritty play have taken their toll on what was once a great player as he is now a shell of his former self

no interest from the Isles whatsoever

I am not sure its as bad as you think - Nelson and Eberle are both on 1 year contracts which means they could also walk for nothing next year (a la Tavares). As for being a midget sized D men, none of the Islanders midgets have accomplished what Krug has done. Heck Krug in less games has put up the same point totals as Eberle who is the higher profile winger who is supposed to score.

Using Krug and Eberle as center pieces to a deal could make sense for both teams - many will argue that Krug is more valuable than Eberle because puck moving/PP QB Defense men are harder to find than 59 point wingers. Krugs salary for his performance and output is pretty solid, last 5 seasons he ranks 13th in points for a D-Man at a cap hit of 5.2.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah I don't think the OPs reasoning (Boston wants a top 6 RW and a #3C and might have Krug for sale) was bad, just not interested in paying a premium for Nelson with JFK and Frederic looking to fight for that #3C role. Would either want a guy that makes those prospects totally blocked because he is that good, or some guy on a one year deal to give them more time. Nelson is just fine and will want term.

Wait, I’ve been jumping around this thread and missed that part. The idea is to put Nelson at center? Thus far in his career Nelson has not been overly effective at center. However, he also has not had quality coaching either. This will be an interesting year for him one way or another.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wait, I’ve been jumping around this thread and missed that part. The idea is to put Nelson at center? Thus far in his career Nelson has not been overly effective at center. However, he also has not had quality coaching either. This will be an interesting year for him one way or another.

Yeah it only possibly makes sense if he can play in the middle, and yeah, I didn't think he did played in the middle, but I assumed the OP knew the holes Boston has and assumed I was wrong :).

Boston has Marchand, DeBrusk, Heinen as left shot wings that out produced Brock last year and Donato + Bjork challenging for roles. Brock makes no sense for Boston as a wing.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I am not sure its as bad as you think - Nelson and Eberle are both on 1 year contracts which means they could also walk for nothing next year (a la Tavares). As for being a midget sized D men, none of the Islanders midgets have accomplished what Krug has done. Heck Krug in less games has put up the same point totals as Eberle who is the higher profile winger who is supposed to score.

Using Krug and Eberle as center pieces to a deal could make sense for both teams - many will argue that Krug is more valuable than Eberle because puck moving/PP QB Defense men are harder to find than 59 point wingers. Krugs salary for his performance and output is pretty solid, last 5 seasons he ranks 13th in points for a D-Man at a cap hit of 5.2.
we not only have Leddy but we have Pulock as well. Krug does nothing for us. and adding Backes Cap dump of a contract for 3 years is an anchor

despite some clueless bruins fans protests youd jump at Eberle and Nelson because they do have value as one year contracts which you would use to free up valuable cap space, especially as a contender. Islander fans arent stupid. find another sucker to take on Backes. youll find it to be very expensive

nelson alone out produces backes at half the cost and he isnt on decline, we arent the clearing house for your mistakes

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
we not only have Leddy but we have Pulock as well. Krug does nothing for us. and adding Backes Cap dump of a contract for 3 years is an anchor

despite some clueless bruins fans protests youd jump at Eberle and Nelson because they do have value as one year contracts which you would use to free up valuable cap space, especially as a contender. Islander fans arent stupid. find another sucker to take on Backes. youll find it to be very expensive

nelson alone out produces backes at half the cost and he isnt on decline

I take you are a bias Islander fan? Nelson who cares in all honesty - I mean perennial 40 point centres are hard to find in the NHL (not to mention your stats about out performing Backes may be a little off - last 3 seasons: Backes 0.55 pts per game Nelson 0.49 :) I will give you that his contract sucks badly (Backes that is) but your old man is out performing Nelson. Neither here nor there given we have about 8 prospects that can do what Nelson does for 600-900K a season.

But you can't be as blind to think that if your team needed an offensive D man that a Krug for Eberle as the main aspects of the trade would not fit the bill for both rosters? I know the Islanders paid a lot for Eberle...Strome (note sarcasm on that one). So if Eberle leaves long Island next year given they failed to retain Tavares and perhaps he himself wants to go to a contender you would rather risk losing him for nothing versus getting a D man that put up as many points as Eberle in fewer games? I just want to try and understand your rationale around it?

Traditionally D men have been often higher valued given the scarcity of the position compared to 59 point forwards. I get it, Eberle when he played for team Canada, was a rock star, but I think to many people are still living in those days. The question is not about Krug vs Eberle - what is needed more for each team. If the Islanders believe they need a puck moving D man, it makes sense, if the Bruins feel they can move their top scoring D man and PP quarterback then it makes sense.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the value of each player - it really depends on what each team is looking for. Bruins have 8 D-Men right now and its clear they are looking for a second line winger that is proven vs playing rookies again like last season.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I take you are a bias Islander fan? Nelson who cares in all honesty - I mean perennial 40 point centres are hard to find in the NHL (not to mention your stats about out performing Backes may be a little off - last 3 seasons: Backes 0.55 pts per game Nelson 0.49 :) I will give you that his contract sucks badly (Backes that is) but your old man is out performing Nelson. Neither here nor there given we have about 8 prospects that can do what Nelson does for 600-900K a season.

But you can't be as blind to think that if your team needed an offensive D man that a Krug for Eberle as the main aspects of the trade would not fit the bill for both rosters? I know the Islanders paid a lot for Eberle...Strome (note sarcasm on that one). So if Eberle leaves long Island next year given they failed to retain Tavares and perhaps he himself wants to go to a contender you would rather risk losing him for nothing versus getting a D man that put up as many points as Eberle in fewer games? I just want to try and understand your rationale around it?

Traditionally D men have been often higher valued given the scarcity of the position compared to 59 point forwards. I get it, Eberle when he played for team Canada, was a rock star, but I think to many people are still living in those days. The question is not about Krug vs Eberle - what is needed more for each team. If the Islanders believe they need a puck moving D man, it makes sense, if the Bruins feel they can move their top scoring D man and PP quarterback then it makes sense.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the value of each player - it really depends on what each team is looking for. Bruins have 8 D-Men right now and its clear they are looking for a second line winger that is proven vs playing rookies again like last season.
i take it that you are a biased bruins fan, the point is that nelson out produced backes at less than Half the cost and rather than hide behind your 3 year average for backes who is in a 4 year decline so that 0.55 ppg you so proudly point to is not only meaningless but actually a rather pathetic attempt to obscure the truth, because we both know Backes is no longer that player

58 to 45 to 38 to 33, whats next for Backes? 25 the man is past his prime and at 34 he will never be a 0.59 ppg player again and you are stuck with his albatross contract for three more years We have both Leddy and Pulock so we have no need for a small offensive minded defender like Krug perhaps if you replaced him with someone like McAvoy it might appeal to us but we all know you only want to send us your overpaid and no longer necessary trash

I repeat no interest in being the landfill for your expensive unwanted assets be prepared to pay to get rid of Backes just like you had to to rid yourself of Beleskey or buy him out like you did with Jimmy Hayes. No one is doing you any favors with Backes and you know it.

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
and as an aside I take offense to bruins fans who should know better for assuming Islander arent savvy enough to see through this blatant attempt to sucker us.... Krug while a fine player is redundant for us, since we do have Leddy and Pulock, so all this is is a thinly disguised attempt to dump Backes on us and get a quality forward and a younger and cheaper replacement for Backes.

this wasnt so much as trade proposal as it was giving us the middle finger and thinking we werent smart enough to recognize it for what it was

dont believe me? put up a simple poll : is Backes a cap dump. i am certain the results would decide that rather quickly. I was hoping drquincy would chime in because he is unflinchingly honest and he would have no problem calling this what it was

Last edited:

nhldream

Jan 4, 2015
and as an aside I take offense to bruins fans who should know better for assuming Islander arent savvy enough to see through this blatant attempt to sucker us.... Krug while a fine player is redundant for us, since we do have Leddy and Pulock, so all this is is a thinly disguised attempt to dump Backes on us and get a quality forward and a younger and cheaper replacement for Backes.

this wasnt so much as trade proposal as it was giving us the middle finger and thinking we werent smart enough to recognize it for what it was
And bush did 9/11 . Looks like it's not a good fit for either team. I'd agree backes is the least valuable piece but to the right team krug would make this worth it. I guess the isles aren't the right team

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
And bush did 9/11 . Looks like it's not a good fit for either team. I'd agree backes is the least valuable piece but to the right team krug would make this worth it. I guess the isles aren't the right team
I have no problem with Krug , he is a fine player one who if we didnt already have Leddy and Pulock would be glad to have. but we do have Leddy and Pulock so he is not a fit. McAvoy would be, but we both know the Bruins would be foolish to consider it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Backes is 7 years older.
Backes is more expensive (I know Nelson is unsigned, but I don't see him getting $6m, nor should he).
Nelson has more goals each of the last 3 years* and over those 3 years has scored 66 goals to Backes' 52
Nelson has more pts over the last 3 year*s.
Backes' shooting pct has gone down each and every year over the last 4 years.
Nelson plays the more important position.

*I realize that Backes missed a lot of time this past year, which would affect his counting numbers.... but using a 34 year old guy's missed games as a positive makes little sense.

You can say that you prefer Backes if you want, (I disagree) but to say you don't see ANY argument saying it is untrue seems pretty crazy to me. Lots of arguments for why it's untrue. Age/contract being first and foremost.

Huh? Nelson is best suited for wing and sucks as a center. Backes is pretty much the same in that regard, but I think he is a better center than wing compared to Nelson. This is mostly a wash, except Backes gets the edge with a career FO% just below 50% while Nelson is hovering around 45%

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Huh? Nelson is best suited for wing and sucks as a center. Backes is pretty much the same in that regard, but I think he is a better center than wing compared to Nelson. This is mostly a wash, except Backes gets the edge with a career FO% just below 50% while Nelson is hovering around 45%
except backes is no longer that player his Shot percentage is in a five year decline, his offense has dried up and the Only part of his game he hasnt lost is his faceoff ability.... and I fail to see how being 5% better at faceoffs is worth 6M. but then again its not your money

I take nelson at $2.75M over backes at 6M anyday Were you even aware that Backes cant even skate any longer. its why the Bruins want him gone. Nelson may be soft but at least he can keep up

the Bruins are one of the fastest teams in the league now theyve done an excellent job of retooling and adding speed throughout the lineup. DrQuincy has forgotten more about hockey than you or I have ever known so I think youre disregarding his knowledge rather flippantly

Last edited:

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
i take it that you are a biased bruins fan, the point is that nelson out produced backes at less than Half the cost and rather than hide behind your 3 year average for backes who is in a 4 year decline so that 0.55 ppg you so proudly point to is not only meaningless but actually a rather pathetic attempt to obscure the truth, because we both know Backes is no longer that player

58 to 45 to 38 to 33, whats next for Backes? 25 the man is past his prime and at 34 he will never be a 0.59 ppg player again and you are stuck with his albatross contract for three more years We have both Leddy and Pulock so we have no need for a small offensive minded defender like Krug perhaps if you replaced him with someone like McAvoy it might appeal to us but we all know you only want to send us your overpaid and no longer necessary trash

I repeat no interest in being the landfill for your expensive unwanted assets be prepared to pay to get rid of Backes just like you had to to rid yourself of Beleskey or buy him out like you did with Jimmy Hayes. No one is doing you any favors with Backes and you know it.

I am sorry that the numbers made your previous statement incorrect and you assume the facts/numbers hide obscure truths. The truth is yes his contract is bad, I wont deny it, but don't try to pretend Nelson is this prodigy player that is performing leaps and bounds ahead. I did the last 3 seasons as the stats given you mentioned he was old and not performing, but in fact he was outperforming Nelson. You are playing Strawman Fallacy now. Not to mention, no one cares about Nelson, I will repeat as I have in the previous posts......Bruins don't need a 30 to 40 point center getting paid 2.8 million a year when we have younger assets at an entry level contract that can do this.

You said Backes wasn't performing - facts indicate otherwise compared to Nelson - not to mention no one cares about Nelson so you can drop that aspect of it. What blows my mind is that you think Eberle would fetch McAvoy (albeit that comment made my laugh so hard I almost fell out of my chair, thank you for that one).

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
krug + backes
for
Nelson + eberle

Isles get the best player while the bs fill some holes in the roster. Thoughts?

would rather make no move than this move... very very very underwhelmed. I think nelson and Eberle could both very easily play on teams that miss the playoffs the remainder of the their careers

and neither saves us any money. maybe if Eberle costs 3.5 mill as an ufa next year... maybe... but until then no thanks

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I am sorry that the numbers made your previous statement incorrect and you assume the facts/numbers hide obscure truths. The truth is yes his contract is bad, I wont deny it, but don't try to pretend Nelson is this prodigy player that is performing leaps and bounds ahead. I did the last 3 seasons as the stats given you mentioned he was old and not performing, but in fact he was outperforming Nelson. You are playing Strawman Fallacy now. Not to mention, no one cares about Nelson, I will repeat as I have in the previous posts......Bruins don't need a 30 to 40 point center getting paid 2.8 million a year when we have younger assets at an entry level contract that can do this.

You said Backes wasn't performing - facts indicate otherwise compared to Nelson - not to mention no one cares about Nelson so you can drop that aspect of it. What blows my mind is that you think Eberle would fetch McAvoy (albeit that comment made my laugh so hard I almost fell out of my chair, thank you for that one).
i said the bruins would be foolish to do that so come off it. just like no one would take Backes who is finished as an effective player, the fact that you tried to pawn him off on us is why I said maybe if you added McAvoy. it was done specifically to emphasize how ridiculous the trade offer was.

Eberle is still an effective 2nd line Winger and in fact would have outscored all of your players except Marchand Pasternak and Bergeron. you arent getting him for a washed up salary dump like Backes, youre not even getting nelson for him, Youre stuck with Backes thats why the entire proposal was ridiculous. youd have to give us McAvoy to get us to take him

What part of Washed up salary dump dont you get?so laugh all you like, the Joke is on you, because youre stuck with Backes

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
would rather make no move than this move... very very very underwhelmed. I think nelson and Eberle could both very easily play on teams that miss the playoffs the remainder of the their careers

and neither saves us any money. maybe if Eberle costs 3.5 mill as an ufa next year... maybe... but until then no thanks
except for one Very major point backes still has 3 years at 6 million on his contract Eberle performs up to his contract and then some, as does Nelson. Backes does not

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
except for one Very major point backes still has 3 years at 6 million on his contract Eberle performs up to his contract and then some, as does Nelson. Backes does not

Backes real dollars owed starting next year will match his performance. Very likely be a bargain.

Many teams care much more about dollars than cap

You watch a differnt eberle than i do the past 4 seasons. Ive never seen him be worth more than 60% of his caphit

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i said the bruins would be foolish to do that so come off it. just like no one would take Backes who is finished as an effective player, the fact that you tried to pawn him off on us is why I said maybe if you added McAvoy. it was done specifically to emphasize how ridiculous the trade offer was.

Eberle is still an effective 2nd line Winger and in fact would have outscored all of your players except Marchand Pasternak and Bergeron. you arent getting him for a washed up salary dump like Backes, youre not even getting nelson for him, Youre stuck with Backes thats why the entire proposal was ridiculous. youd have to give us McAvoy to get us to take him

What part of Washed up salary dump dont you get?so laugh all you like, the Joke is on you, because youre stuck with Backes

We like to make playoffs and want to keep playoff guys. Its why we signed backes.

If you are happy with eberle you are probably also happy with your team. I am happy for fans that are happy

I personally would be very unhappy given that mess... but im not you

Please keep eberle thank you

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
We like to make playoffs and want to keep playoff guys. Its why we signed backes.

If you are happy with eberle you are probably also happy with your team. I am happy for fans that are happy

I personally would be very unhappy given that mess... but im not you

Please keep eberle thank you

Very happy to, Eberle isnt earth Shatterin but he does help Barzal, and thats fine by me, enjoy Backes

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Nelson. But they are both 3rd liners with faults. Come 7/2 next year, Backes will be owed 5 million over two years. He will be EASY to move to a non-cap team even if he is just getting 30 points. I would much much rather have Backes for next year rather than Nelsen. Similar production, but Backes is more useful off the puck.

After next year? I would rather give Backes away at 2x2.5 to a non-cap team than waste cap dollars on Nelsen. Bruins were smart to make Backes contract front loaded in the early years and then with big July 1st bonus money in the later years to make it an easy contract to move to a team that doesn't care about cap hit. Nelsen is going to get paid too much. Spooner-like in that he will make more money than he is worth because of his 40 point player production.

Is New York Islanders a team that doesn’t care about cap hit?

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine

Yeah! Your not getting McAvoy, sorry

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

You think Backes still plays center. Grain of salt when reading this one....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad