Bortuzzo, Martin, Ehrhoff

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
What are these players future with the Penguins?

Letang (here to stay)
Maatta (here to stay)
Martin (possibly gone?)
Ehrhoff (possibly gone?)
Despres (likely to stay)
Pouliot (here to stay)
Scuderi (here to stay)
Harrington (future)
Dumoulin (future)

Maatta - Letang
Scuderi - Despres
Pouliot - ?

So who's staying next year? Martin, Ehrhoff or Bortuzzo? Or none.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I've given up on Dumoulin. Not as an NHLer, but as a Penguin. He's not leap-frogging Pouliot or Harrington, and there's no way he's taking a spot from Letang, Maatta, Despres, or any player we're likely to sign.

He's as much trade bait as it gets.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
As much as I like Paul Martin as a player he's is going to price himself out of here with either term or actually salary. We don't need that weight especially with a 33+ player

For sure. And as much as you'd like to get some assets for him this year.. you just can't. He's simply too important, especially with Maatta done.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I've given up on Dumoulin. Not as an NHLer, but as a Penguin. He's not leap-frogging Pouliot or Harrington, and there's no way he's taking a spot from Letang, Maatta, Despres, or any player we're likely to sign.

Nah, he'll be in the top 6 next year. Bort is the odd man out, since he's been sucking out loud for so long.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

I can see him moving ahead of Harrington on the depth chart for purely numbers game reasons.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Let Ehrhoff (fairly mediocre for us IMO) and Martin (solid dman but soon to be 34) walk. Try and get Petry in free agency.

Maatta Letang
Despres Petry
Pouliot ?

The ? preferably not Scuderi.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The depth chart for next year:

Letang
Maatta
Despres
Scuderi
Bortuzzo
Pouliot
Harrington
Dumoulin

It's not ideal but it's time for the prospects to take the next step. We've been overly patient with Harrington & Dumoulin.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to Harrington. I think he'll turn out to be a very good, solid defensive defenseman when he gets some more experience and seasoning in.

Bebbi

Feb 25, 2015
Basel
What are these players future with the Penguins?

Letang (here to stay)
Maatta (here to stay)
Martin (possibly gone?)
Ehrhoff (possibly gone?)
Despres (likely to stay)
Pouliot (here to stay)
Scuderi (here to stay)
Harrington (future)
Dumoulin (future)

Maatta - Letang
Scuderi - Despres
Pouliot - ?

So who's staying next year? Martin, Ehrhoff or Bortuzzo? Or none.
I hope so

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

Letang
Maatta
Despres
Scuderi
Bortuzzo
Pouliot
Harrington
Dumoulin

It's not ideal but it's time for the prospects to take the next step. We've been overly patient with Harrington & Dumoulin.

Dump I agree with, but doesn't he have a full year of AHL time over Harrington? I'm souring on Dumo, but I still think Harrington can be a legit 4/5 guy.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
My guess is Martin, Ehrhoff, and Bort are all gone, unless Martin or Ehrhoff want to stay here for less than what they'll get on the FA market.

Bort had a few brutal games and then I thought he wasn't too bad in the last two before he got scratched last night. But I'm afraid that's what you're going to get with him. I see him becoming a little more consistent, but not a lot of upsde.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bort has sucked but I think he'll still be back since he's only RFA and he isn't worth much in trade. Someone has to sit in the press box. :laugh:

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Maatta-Letang
Despres-Trade
Harrington-Pouliot
Dumo

Buy out scuderi this summer. Re-sign Bort than trade for futures. With the right contract, he could be traded for more than we expect.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Ehrhoff has been our best d-man (other than Letang) for the majority of the season.

He's been off since his concussion but he's better than anyone outside of 58 and 3. No one on our depth chart has even close to his shot.

I'm kind of amazed by the Ehrhoff hate on this board, actually. But I guess it's always been a "what have you been doing for me lately" kind of thing in these types of discussion.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Ehrhoff has been our best d-man (other than Letang) for the majority of the season.

He's been off since his concussion but he's better than anyone outside of 58 and 3. No one on our depth chart has even close to his shot.

I'm kind of amazed by the Ehrhoff hate on this board, actually. But I guess it's always been a "what have you been doing for me lately" kind of thing in these types of discussion.

Ehrhoff has been awful. I didn't like the signing and he has done nothing to change my original opinion.
If he is "our best defender", then canel the rest of the season because we would have no shot.

Soff

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Depends on the price and term. I'd rather have him on another short-term deal then Martin on a long-term one if that's possible.

I'd agree. They'll both be in the high 5s/6 mill/year range, and, a long-term (> two years) deal for a 33-y.o. D-man who relies on his skating and mobility isn't a great bet. Plus we already have two more years of an older, immobile D-man.

Erhoff's played well at times, but overall has been worth about the $4 mill he's getting paid. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and be consistently good for the playoffs.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Letang
Maatta
Despres
Scuderi
Bortuzzo
Pouliot
Harrington
Dumoulin

Agree

Dumoulin has looked great at times and horrible at times. I expect him to rise up our D chart each year. He may become and excellent D man.

Harrington should be given shots to play when our top 6 are missing some players out injured. He looked dreadful when playing this year. Many young D men look that way and he needs a few more looks to see what he can bring to the table for the team. His first impression was not good. Hoping his 2nd time around will be better.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Erhoff has been solid. I would be open to bringing him back again for less than for we paid him and that might be doable.

Defensively he's a top 4 D man on the team before he got injured.

No Quarter*

Erhoff hasn't been bad.
I can't get where some of the posters on here claim he sucks.
I guess people see that he doesn't play like an 8 million a year defenseman so automatically he blows.
Go figure.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Bortuzzo needs to be gone. That baby giraffe on skates is trash. Im rather indifferent with Ehrhoff but i think Martin would be good to retain depending on a few things already discussed here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad