Confirmed with Link: Bortuzzo and a 7th (2016) for Ian Cole (Blues retain $225k salary)

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Not a bad way to think about it though, is it?

Cole to me, feels like a guy that was in the same position as Niskanen, like Despres needing a kick in the rear, Cole needed one too and a move like this could do it.

If Despres was 26 and not a pseudo-rookie yeah.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
How many 26 year old defenders go from bottom pairing / 7D to top 4 defensemen?

I suppose Niskanen is one example although he was a bottom pairing guy in Pittsburgh until all the injuries hit last year. He only got more TOI because Orpik, Martin, Scuder, and Letang were injured.

many many many many

Defensemen often bloom late

I love this deal. Bort was a good guy to have around and but he's nothing special.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_32323c49-42d6-5960-8547-8620ee9c767c.html

“I think anyone in any job, you want there to be a good chance for upward mobility,” Cole said. “We had met a couple of times and (Armstrong) was asking me about my situation. I think when it came down to it, if there wasn’t an opportunity for me to play here, (and) with the move at the trade deadline where we got Michalek, it started to look like that was the case. What I said to ‘Army,’ word for word, was, ‘Army, there’s no place in the NHL that I’d rather play than here in St. Louis, with this group of guys that have become my family. But if I can’t play here, then I would like to play somewhere. If the opportunity comes up and I’m not going to play here, if the opportunity arises that you can move me to a team that I can play on, I would not be opposed to that at all.’ So he made the move to get a defenseman and follow through with his word, saying that if I wasn’t going to be able to play here, he’d try to get me to a team where I’d be able to really try to excel on. He did that.”

I guess he kind of asked for a trade, but i wonder if he really is going to get a chance to play here when everybody is healthy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_32323c49-42d6-5960-8547-8620ee9c767c.html

“I think anyone in any job, you want there to be a good chance for upward mobility,†Cole said. “We had met a couple of times and (Armstrong) was asking me about my situation. I think when it came down to it, if there wasn’t an opportunity for me to play here, (and) with the move at the trade deadline where we got Michalek, it started to look like that was the case. What I said to ‘Army,’ word for word, was, ‘Army, there’s no place in the NHL that I’d rather play than here in St. Louis, with this group of guys that have become my family. But if I can’t play here, then I would like to play somewhere. If the opportunity comes up and I’m not going to play here, if the opportunity arises that you can move me to a team that I can play on, I would not be opposed to that at all.’ So he made the move to get a defenseman and follow through with his word, saying that if I wasn’t going to be able to play here, he’d try to get me to a team where I’d be able to really try to excel on. He did that.â€

I guess he kind of asked for a trade, but i wonder if he really is going to get a chance to play here when everybody is healthy.

It's between him and DP, really.

The silver lining to Ehrhoff being out again, is that these guys should all get some playing time.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's between him and DP, really.

The silver lining to Ehrhoff being out again, is that these guys should all get some playing time.

I wanted Ehrhoff to be healthy so we could see how Ehrhoff and DP look together, i thought they looked good in there one game together against the caps.

But even if Ehrhoff is healthy i don't know if MJ will go back to the Ehrhoff DP pairing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I just remembered this:

tumblr_nkpwdrOe1l1txyx4lo1_500.png

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How has Cole been for you guys?

Pens are enjoying his overall solid play and Cole is taking the opportunity to heart and playing hard every game.

Good so far.

How has Bortz been?

I do miss the guy, but he just kept taking dumb penalties and forgot how to play under someone's skin by just playing his style. I feel like he took on the role of fighter/pest and couldn't figure it out properly, there's a fine balance, he wasn't able to understand that.

If he knocks it off, he's a damn solid #5/6.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
How has Cole been for you guys?

He's been fine. His heavy shot really jumps out. I think yesterday's game against Detroit was the first game that he's been on the ice for a goal against since we acquired him. Yesterdays game was kind of a tough day for him and the team. He wound up -3 in that 5-1 loss to Detroit but he's been fine other than that.

How's Bort doing?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think he has played well. I expect him to get better as he gets more comfortable.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't know why Niskanen figures into it at all. It just seems like we're shoe-horning someone into a description here. So far Cole to me seems like a more rugged Dman who happens to be able to shoot the puck decent.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Glad Cole is getting a chance. He can cannon shots in from the point well, but he has lots of little weaknesses in his game that prevent him from being a top 4 guy. More steady time in the NHL may let him work those out.

Bortuzzo is what he is, not a bad #7 he fills in when there's an injury or to just rotate the dmen to get some rest for the Blues.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Sorry for renewing this thread again, but I meant to ask about Cole a few days ago but didn't and then saw that I missed my opportunity when somebody else did :laugh:

For us, I've been pleasantly surprised with Bortuzzo. He's clearly a bottom pairing defenseman, but yesterday I would say was his best game with us so far. He was paired with a young player who seems to play a similar style to him and they were great together. They kept plays alive, got shots through, had good vision, were very physical and just played a solid all around game. He definitely brings a grit that we hadn't had prior to having him so he's been a welcomed addition.

Unfortunately for Bortuzzo, Shattenkirk is getting close to coming back so I don't see him getting a ton of playing time after that. I'm pretty happy with the trade overall, though. (Partially because I couldn't stand Cole)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad