Boredom Poll #2 - Who is 2nd most important to Jackets success next season?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's an interesting question because I think there are different answers to the question based on how you interpret the question.

I'll answer Wennberg. The thought being that if he makes a significant step forward that it will be the most impactful on the team's improvement.

But I think you could also answer Jones or Murray, or Foligno, for example.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
solid thought process DSL...I went Jones b/c our defense in front of Bob HAS to be better to have success...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
solid thought process DSL...I went Jones b/c our defense in front of Bob HAS to be better to have success...

I voted Jones but could have been Murray as well. If those 2 progress and become a legit top pair (not just 2 guys who play top pair on a team) then we may be in business.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Derek Dawley: Keeping the fans entertained enough in the arena to keep buying tickets to future games, and keep the season ticket numbers up will be key to successfully getting through this season, with a healthy enough season ticket holder number to move on to the next.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's all about the defense. I'm not one bit worried about Jones and Murray getting better. They'll continue to develop. Jack Johnson on the other had has to recapture what Jack Johnson used to be and not let his off-ice saga be a distraction.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
It's an interesting question because I think there are different answers to the question based on how you interpret the question.

I'll answer Wennberg. The thought being that if he makes a significant step forward that it will be the most impactful on the team's improvement.

Agree. I may be drinking the kool-aid, but I almost have the D improved without thinking about it. I expect Jones and Murray to be even better, and I expect Werenski to push them to be better, and expect him to be stalwart 2nd pair for this season. They won't be top-5 D this year, but I expect that in 3 years (credit to Major and others for that observation).

The expectation for D is why I voted Wennberg - if he has breakout year, he may be the C we need to slot everyone else in the proper roles, let PLD percolate.

If D progresses as expected...a playoff contender, maybe; a SC finalist, not so much.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
I voted Wennberg because I'm not concerned about Jones success. He will be fine, and a great compliment to Murray. I think it may even be easier for him to grow with a lot of eyes on Zach W.

Wennberg would be huge if he is able to take the next step and solidify his place as 2C or even 1C. If he can show that he is growing into the 1C, it will help talk a lot of us off the ledge....

(Dang, I have to read the other posts before I comment. DSL and Forepar both beat me to it!)

Last edited:

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
It's all about the defense. I'm not one bit worried about Jones and Murray getting better. They'll continue to develop. Jack Johnson on the other had has to recapture what Jack Johnson used to be and not let his off-ice saga be a distraction.

We won't ever again see what JMFJ used to be, because he will never chew up those massive minutes again. He won't have to, nor will he be able to; Jones, Murray & Werenski will see that the minutes are not available for him (barring injuries).

I'm hoping that we see him with a bit more edge, willing to take his shot more often, and perhaps a little angrier.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Boss. How much this defensive and goaltending improvement is due to the gaffer's playbook?

Since Blue Jackets have one of the most distinct style of plays in the NHL now it doesn't come really across in the posting.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
not easy question.. Alex? but after two injuries he played well and went nearly 1 ppg ( ~last 40 games). Jones? and this boy played well...Bob is Bob, enigma:laugh:
yep, I don't know.. imho Zach and Bjork are very important, but really Captain must improve his performance level

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
It's all about the defense. I'm not one bit worried about Jones and Murray getting better. They'll continue to develop. Jack Johnson on the other had has to recapture what Jack Johnson used to be.......

This is exactly my line of thinking, but with a twist. Agreed that Murray and Jones will continue to improve. It might take some time for Werenski to get used to the pace/size of the NHL. But I don't see him making the same mistake 6-8-10 times. So if Jack Johnson doesn't recapture, then there should be players that are progressing to help him.

Nick F. on the other hand would kill this team with another 12 goal performance. Yes, the kids from Lake Erie could arrive and stabilize. But wearing the C and repeat of last year would be tough to cover. A 12 goal pace could get the captain a view from the press box.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm in the Wennberg camp as well. I almost went Dubi because I think our play up the middle will be where the difference can come from this year.

Like everyone else, I expect Jones and Murray to move forward and not take a step back which should solidify the back end. Moving Savard/JJ to a 2nd pair role gives the team depth like never before. But having the C position shored up after moving Joey just seems like a bigger question mark to me. if Wennberg can ultimately move Dubi back to a 2C (a really good one at that) then I think this team is going to take a big step.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I chose Dubinksy because without a true #1 center, Dubi's going to play a larger role than he otherwise should be expected to. I love his passion, but have doubts as to whether he can produce as needed.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
You could argue for Jones or Wennberg. If Jones can show that he's a very good all around #1 D that can improve the offense, helping the top-end-lacking forwards to put up more points that'd be great. Or if Wennberg can keep improving toward being a 55-60 point playmaking center that would obviously be fantastic and drastically help how the forward group is viewed.

Or both would be good.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I voted Foligno. After a disappointing 2015-16 season, I think if he were to have a rebound year it would be contagious in the locker room and others would feed of of him.

Also because he's our Captain, he has to up his game for this team to make a playoff run this year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Great point. I had similar thoughts when voting the second time.

The guys who did good last year we need them to do so again; guys like Foligno and Johnson who didn't have their best years they need to be better. Wennberg needs to improve - if he doesn't then the team won't.

Bottom line is thye all need to have their best seasons.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Where is Clarkson? From reading some threads, I would have thought he would have made the list, due to his potential waiving his NMC:sarcasm::laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm hoping that we see him with a bit more edge, willing to take his shot more often, and perhaps a little angrier.

Edgier, angrier Jack? I'd like that. He'd be scary to play against. And he can shoot more once he learns how to hit the side of a barn.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016
Very dificult

I think it is difficult.

Bob is safe call, because goalkeeper is the half of the team.
The most important player.

But else what is most important, to get Wennberg reach expectations or to get new player like Bjorkstrand filling void?
From what we saw in the end of last season, the one could easily be part of the other!

However the true valid point is that this team need the raise scoring and lower goal against.

So this team need to improve the lowest of defense. This team simply need to depend less on the goal keeper, that mean that the 6 and 7 defense man is the 2'Th most important for success.

So this is actually rather simple, because no team is better than it weakest link.

This all turn back to the coach, he is the 2'Th most important individual for this team success.
A coach can single hand build and destroy a team, and we saw what a good coach can do for team spirit at the Monsters AHL run.
How he create systems and tactic, how coach each player (different and getting the best out of all). How is talk to player, both when they exile and when they goes through a slump.
A coach can build or destroy a player, more than anyone believe.

3'Th is the team spirit, which is created by the leaders on the team together with coach and management team.
The company spirit in any company comes down from the top, so do not underestimate management and ownership important here.
And they are not even on the team.
Yes I know it is professional sport. So you will say high educated people in companies in the world are not professionals?. Yes it should not matter, but how management and ownership behave around the team is very important.
But I will go with team spirit for the 3'Th most important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad