Speculation: Booth Buyout

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Gillman just said hes on LTIR and isnt going to return this season...IDK if that means playoffs too, but whats the rule on Buying Out Injured Players? Can we buy him out still or do we have to keep him?

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Tweeted about this earlier.

@TBennz21: I think David Booth may have played his last game as a Canuck against the Red Wings a month ago.

I expect him to be waived or moved for picks if Roy is staying in VAN long term. #NHL #Canucks

arsmaster*

The season, doesn't mean the playoffs.

Booth will be back for the playoffs, especially if we go deep.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Of course Gilman is going to say that, the only reason they were able to acquire Roy is because Booth is on LTIR and has to remain there until the playoffs start.

Furious George

Ville the Villain
Mar 22, 2006
Shark Infested Water
A player has to be healthy to be bought out. That's the reason that the Rangers and Canadiens had originally planned to have Redden and Gomez sit at home, where they couldn't get injured, all year so they could buy them out in the summer.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Two things.

First, we knew Booth was doubtful for the start of the playoffs, much less any time during the regular season, so Gilman's comments aren't at all surprising.

Second, I really hope not. I like Booth. If he was a $3m hit instead of $4.2, I would LOVE Booth. I think when healthy, the Amex line is one of the best two-way 2nd lines in hockey. Match them up against the other team's best players and the other team's best players will spend a lot of time without the puck.

I would expect Booth would be moved for picks rather than bought out, as he does still have value, but his trade value at this point, in my view, is far below his actual value as a player. I would much rather keep him and give him a full year next year, hopefully one without freak injuries like getting knee-on-kneed by Porter or fallen on by a Red Wing. Those aren't "injury prone player" injuries (I'd be worried about that if he'd been concussed), they're bad luck injuries.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I've been saying for over a month that it's time to call a spade a spade in regards to Booth. I have no doubt he has played his last game as a Canucks. He'll definitely be one of our buyouts if he's not moved or picked up on waivers.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Can someone explain the vast gap in perception I see with David Booth?

In the games he was healthy for (albeit the few ones he was a part of) he was literally the best player on the ice numerous times. He'd beat or knockdown their RD, charge the net, beat D's to the puck on dump ins and along the boards. I'd like to hear from someone that doesn't see value in this player.

Are people simply looking at him as being someone to target in reducing the cap because of his injuries?

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012

In the games he was healthy for (albeit the few ones he was a part of) he was literally the best player on the ice numerous times. He'd beat or knockdown their RD, charge the net, beat D's to the puck on dump ins and along the boards. I'd like to hear from someone that doesn't see value in this player.

Are people simply looking at him as being someone to target in reducing the cap because of his injuries?

He may have been the best in on the rush, but his numbers didn't reflect that. He's a good player no doubt, but this team needs secondary scoring. It's proven that the Sedins/Burrows can't do everything. Hansen/Higgins and Raymond are too good on defensive 2way play to be playing hard minutes at both ends constantly. (Though they've been doing it.)

Fact of the matter is, he may play hard and be the best on the ice but his numbers in points doesn't reflect that. We need someone that scores and that's the issue. At 4.2million per he's making more then some of our truly important players that took hometown discounts.

Also on those saying trade him for picks and prospects, we're not going to get much. I agree it's the move that needs to happen as *something* is better then nothing, but we're not going to be getting anything fantastic for him. He's injury prone, and has been low on the points since arriving. He seems like a nice guy but unfortunately he's not meant for our 2nd Line.

Nov 1, 2011

I would love Booth at a more affordable cap hit.

I would take him over MayRay that being said, I would take Derek Roy over Booth because of the positions they play.

Wizeman*

I believe that he cannot be put into the lineup until the reg season is over since he was placed on LITR

however, once gets medical clearance, whether it be in the playoffs or off season, he then can be bought out.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
There should be a special place on HF for the whipping boys done good. Wasn't Bieksa useless and a bad contract and about to be traded at one point? Burrows was a fourth liner with no hands, Kesler would never crack the top 6, even I thought that Raymond was done after last season but he bounced back big time this year.

Booth has had some tough luck since coming here, but I would be willing to keep him around because when he is on his game he is one of the best skating power forwards in the game, and no one can ever say that he is a perimeter player. He goes where it hurts, and that has unfortunately lead to injuries but I would rather have that than another Pyatt or Bernier.

Hopefully next year he will stay healthy for a good stretch of games and the fans can see what we really have in him. Letting him go for nothing would be terrible asset management.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Well Roy is obviously a MUCH better player at a more important position. He also comes with hockey sense, passing ability, and less injury prone. 4.5 million for Booth is crazy, just insane so I don't see us keeping him given all of his many flaws when there will be better options.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think Booth is done in Vancouver as well, but not because of what MG said. I still think a team would trade a draft pick for him at the least.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think booth is done on the team as well. there are more cap-friendly options out there. I think part of the problem is that he never earned his big payout contract with the Canucks, so I don't think the same loyalty is there for him.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I dunno about Booth being done. If Roy works out:

Sedins-Burrows
Roy-Kesler-Booth

That's a damn fine top 6. Luongo and Ballard get moved so that we stay under the cap. He needs to have a playmaker to be effective; Roy is that guy.

I agree that there are better options, but we should try to move Lu and KB4 before Booth.

Wizeman*

I think if booth was 2.5mil I would still give him a chance.

4 mil no way. put him on waivers.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I dunno about Booth being done. If Roy works out:

Sedins-Burrows
Roy-Kesler-Booth

That's a damn fine top 6. Luongo and Ballard get moved so that we stay under the cap. He needs to have a playmaker to be effective; Roy is that guy.

I agree that there are better options, but we should try to move Lu and KB4 before Booth.

I really don't think we are good cap-wise there, even with Ballard and Luongo gone. You have to account for the raises Burrows and Edler got

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
He may have been the best in on the rush, but his numbers didn't reflect that. He's a good player no doubt, but this team needs secondary scoring. It's proven that the Sedins/Burrows can't do everything. Hansen/Higgins and Raymond are too good on defensive 2way play to be playing hard minutes at both ends constantly. (Though they've been doing it.)

Fact of the matter is, he may play hard and be the best on the ice but his numbers in points doesn't reflect that. We need someone that scores and that's the issue. At 4.2million per he's making more then some of our truly important players that took hometown discounts.

Also on those saying trade him for picks and prospects, we're not going to get much. I agree it's the move that needs to happen as *something* is better then nothing, but we're not going to be getting anything fantastic for him. He's injury prone, and has been low on the points since arriving. He seems like a nice guy but unfortunately he's not meant for our 2nd Line.
I disagree with all of this. I don't think the guy has ever had a fair chance. Last year he starts getting into his groove only to get kneed by Kevin Porter, and never had a chance to get up to speed afterwards, not to mention playing with a Kesler with only one arm. This year he gets a freak groin injury and a freak ankle injury, in between which he plays like an absolute champ and against all odds no pucks go in for him. Give him one full, healthy season, and I think everyone changes their tune.

Additonally, he's the perfect fit for the 2nd line. The point of the 2nd line, the reason it's good, is that it is capable of taking on the opponents' top line so that the Sedins don't have to deal with them. The reason the Sedins aren't scoring as much right now is precisely because they're facing the other team's best players - coming out ahead in AT ALL in that matchup is a win. Booth is one of the best possession players in the league even when he's not scoring, Kesler is a premier defensive forward, and when playing with them, Higgins also excels in that area of the game. Facing them basically means you don't have the puck the majority of the time.

It gets even better for this short period because you have two offensively talented lines - the Roy line and the Sedin line - that can demolish the other team's bottom 9, while the Kesler line shuts down their big guns possession-wise. Booth facilitates this. Unfortunately, he and Kes are hurt so we don't get to see it, at least not until the playoffs.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Well Roy is obviously a MUCH better player at a more important position. He also comes with hockey sense, passing ability, and less injury prone. 4.5 million for Booth is crazy, just insane so I don't see us keeping him given all of his many flaws when there will be better options.

Pretty much. There's no way we let Roy walk away because of David Booth. Gillis would be canned on the spot.

Some team will offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, which is fine by me.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
I disagree with all of this. I don't think the guy has ever had a fair chance. Last year he starts getting into his groove only to get kneed by Kevin Porter, and never had a chance to get up to speed afterwards, not to mention playing with a Kesler with only one arm. This year he gets a freak groin injury and a freak ankle injury, in between which he plays like an absolute champ and against all odds no pucks go in for him. Give him one full, healthy season, and I think everyone changes their tune.

Additonally, he's the perfect fit for the 2nd line. The point of the 2nd line, the reason it's good, is that it is capable of taking on the opponents' top line so that the Sedins don't have to deal with them. The reason the Sedins aren't scoring as much right now is precisely because they're facing the other team's best players - coming out ahead in AT ALL in that matchup is a win. Booth is one of the best possession players in the league even when he's not scoring, Kesler is a premier defensive forward, and when playing with them, Higgins also excels in that area of the game. Facing them basically means you don't have the puck the majority of the time.

It gets even better for this short period because you have two offensively talented lines - the Roy line and the Sedin line - that can demolish the other team's bottom 9, while the Kesler line shuts down their big guns possession-wise. Booth facilitates this. Unfortunately, he and Kes are hurt so we don't get to see it, at least not until the playoffs.

Great post. The one knock at this point would be that he's injury prone, but his most recent injury isn't something that's reoccurred. That could've happened to anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad