Boomhower's Mid season OHL Rankings for 2004 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
While, the OHL season has just passed the halfway point and this is how I would rank the OHL skaters that are eligible for the 2004 NHL draft in Carolina:

1 - LW, Wojtek Wolski / Brampton: Top level talent, leading his team in scoring and has good size with room to fill out and become even tougher to knock of the puck (already pretty tough). Wolski showed very well in the Canada vs, Russia Re/Max challenge.

2 -C, Robbie Schremp / London: He and Wolski will battle for the honor of top OHL draftee. Excellent stick handler, sees the ice very well from a playmaking standpoint and has a rocket shot. There has been lots of talk about Schremp having a bad attitude and being lazy defensively, but he obviously has high offensive potential.

3 - C, Evan McGrath / Kithener: Got great exposure (and experience) last year as a 16 year old. Hasn't quite exploded the way some might have expected this season, but still having a very stellar season. I'm confident the puck will start going in for him in the second half and I have him ranked here, at this point.

4 - LW, Brian Bickell / Ottawa: Bickell has really found a niche for himself this year, using his size effectively and playing a crash and bang style. He has shown signs of being a good scorer at times, but the jury is out........Even with questions about his offensive prowess he is a very good skater and a big kid, so teams shouldn't hesitate to grab him. At the very least he could be a high energy checker.

5 - D, Boris Valabik / Kitchener: Enormous D-man (6'6" and 211 Ilbs) in his rookie season in the OHL, loves the physical play and doesn't shy away from fights. At 17 he is relied on heavily by Kitchener and generally does a good job, but by no means is Valabik a top notch OHL defenceman yet. A bit of a project, but if he continues to progress he could be an absolute steal.

6 - C, David Bolland / London: Has had a break out season this year, after a disappointing rookie year in which coach Dale Hunter had him riding the bench. Bolland has great determination and a good work ethic on the ice and off. He has shown a Knack for scoring goals as he is currently second in the league with 24 and also leads the league in PP goals. Bolland finishes his checks and reminds me a little of Mike Peca, but not quite as tough.

7 - C, Ryan Garlock / Guelph: Garlock is averaging about a point per game this season and can be very strong on the puck in the offensive zone. His defensive play is stellar and Garlock is an above average skater. It seems he is good at everything but doesn't really have one skill that defines his game. Should be interesting to see who is off the board first between Bolland and Garlock.

8 - D, Mitch Maunu / Windsor: Good mobility, Is very strong in defensive coverage along the boards and in front of the net, Maunu has good size and plays the body well. He is a staple on the Spits blue line in all situations. His passing has come into question at times because of turnovers, but Overall Maunu is a solid defender who can also jump up into the rush from time to time.

9 – LW, Vaclav Meidl / Plymouth: After a strong start, Meidl has cooled down recently. It’s Tough to gauge Meidl’s potential, but at 6’4†he does have the frame of a power forward and has shown off some slick stick handling moves. His defensive abilities and skating are the question marks, along with his lack of discipline…….Still an interesting prospect though.

10 – LW, Adam Berti / Oshawa: Berti is a big forward with a good wrist shot, unfortunately the Generals don’t have many offensive minded players to compliment Berti and Eager. It appears as though he is capable of doing big things down the road.

11 – C, Peter Tsimikalis / Ottawa: Tsimikalis is a smallish forward who is creative with the puck, his quickness and all out hustle usually pays off, as most nights it seems as though the puck follows Tsimikalis around.

12 – RW, Gino Pisellini / Plymouth: A hard nosed forward, who has come out of nowhere to become an impact player for the Whalers (much like Vigilante last year), He plays a fearless brand of hockey and has the size and toughness to back it up. Pisellini can be used in any situation and does have some offensive upside, but would be more likely to pan out as a checking line forwards when/if he reaches the pros.

13 – D, Jordan Smith / Sault Ste. Marie: A late ’85 birth, so this is Smith’s first year eligible. He is a smooth skating stay at home defenseman. Smith can be dangerous as he enjoys lining up opposition forwards for the big hit, but he isn’t much of a threat offensively. Any team looking for a tough d-man who is reliable in his own end, will probably have Smith on their radar as a mid-round selection.

14 – C, Tyler Haskins / Toronto: Got off to a slow start this season in Guelph, but got going after moving to St.Mikes in the Klein deal. Haskins is good defensively and if he can continue to score in Toronto he will probably move up by seasons end.

15 – D, Kyle Raftis / Kingston: Raftis is a top 4 with the Frontenacs, has good hockey sense as he is usually sound positionally. His skating isn’t the greatest, but he moves the puck well and usually makes the safe play.

Other Noteables: C Tyler Kennedy (Sault Ste. Marie), D Kyle Wharton (Ottawa), LW Chad Painchaud ( Missisauga), C Jordan Morrison (Peterborough) , D Brodie Beard (Ottawa), Sean Courtney (Erie), LW Liam Reddox (Peterborough)

What do you think about this list, or the OHL draft eligible talent for the next draft, in general?

Last edited:

leafaholix*

1. Wojtek Wolski
2. Evan McGrath
3. Rob Schremp

Schremp's attitude and his non-invite to the WJC will affect him plenty.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
go pierre hedin said:
1. Wojtek Wolski
2. Evan McGrath
3. Rob Schremp

Maybe, but Wolski and McGrath didn't get invites either. Schremp is head-and-shoulders above those two. A perceived attitude problem would be the reason he'd slip below them.

Hoffer

Dec 23, 2003
British Columbia
Wolski/McGrath/Schremp

Mobey said:
Maybe, but Wolski and McGrath didn't get invites either. Schremp is head-and-shoulders above those two. A perceived attitude problem would be the reason he'd slip below them.

Wolski and McGrath are Canadians, big difference. Towards invites, the Canadians will rarely ever allow 16-17 year olds on the WJC squad. Exceptions of course have been Gretzky, Lindros, Spezza, Bouwmeester, and now Crosby, but the team is made up of guys who are much older and usually drafted.
The American team has more players on a yearly basis that haven't been drafted. That's just the case.
Wolski and McGrath will probably play next year, and maybe Schremp to, who knows. You also have to take into consideration the fact that Schremp's numbers haven't really improved. Junior numbers should always double. Schremp really has not shown much improvement. Attitude is a huge thing. Does he have an attitude? I don't know, concensus is that he does. However, it does affect his draft status. Players around him, and coaches, as well as other people contribute to these comments, present and past, we'll see. No one doubts that Schremp is good, because he is, just some I guess have qualms about him.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hoffer said:
Wolski and McGrath are Canadians, big difference. Towards invites, the Canadians will rarely ever allow 16-17 year olds on the WJC squad. Exceptions of course have been Gretzky, Lindros, Spezza, Bouwmeester, and now Crosby, but the team is made up of guys who are much older and usually drafted.
The American team has more players on a yearly basis that haven't been drafted. That's just the case.
Wolski and McGrath will probably play next year, and maybe Schremp to, who knows. You also have to take into consideration the fact that Schremp's numbers haven't really improved. Junior numbers should always double. Schremp really has not shown much improvement. Attitude is a huge thing. Does he have an attitude? I don't know, concensus is that he does. However, it does affect his draft status. Players around him, and coaches, as well as other people contribute to these comments, present and past, we'll see. No one doubts that Schremp is good, because he is, just some I guess have qualms about him.

And Wolski and McGrath's numbers have? I believe McGrath's number are worse this year. It's all relative.

leafaholix*

Points-per-game

Wojtek Wolski

2002-2003: 0.89
2003-2004: 1.06
----------------
Improvement: 0.17 (Appx. 11.6 points over 68 OHL games.)

Robbie Schremp

2002-2003: 1.14
2003-2004: 1.21
----------------
Improvement: 0.07 (Appx. 4.8 points over 68 OHL games.)

Evan McGrath

2002-2003: 0.73
2003-2004: 0.91
----------------
Improvement: 0.18 (Apprx. 12.3 points over 68 OHL games.)

leafaholix*

BTW, that's obviously just through half the season.

Numbers can fall... or rise.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Another thing to consider about Schremp is he went from a good, but not great Mississauga team where he and O'Sullivan were the two main stars, to London, where there is PLENTY of firepower. Players, even offensively gifted ones such as Schremp tend to see their stats suffer a bit in such situations. It's like going from Phoenix to Philadelphia in the NHL.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
It's funny, but my impression of McGrath's stats was that he wasn't producing like he did last year. Obviously the numbers prove otherwise. We'll see how he does for the balance of the year -- keeping in mind that he played the last half of last year on the top line with Derek Roy and Greg Campbell. His linemates this year aren't quite as impressive.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Mobey said:

Schremp is head and shoulders above those two? How exactly would a guy living in California know that Schremp is head and shoulders above Wolski and McGrath when all 3 of those players play in Ontario? Wouldn't you actually have to see each of these guys play on a routine basis to make a statement like that? Based on ability alone it could be well argued that both Wolski and McGrath are better pro prospects than Schremp. When character issues are factored into the equation your statement becomes even less vaild.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
1. Wojtek Wolski
2. Evan McGrath
3. Rob Schremp

First you put McGrath and Wolski ahead of Schremp, then you point out that Robbie has had better points-per-game over the past two years. What are you trying to say?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cdnhky1 said:
Schremp is head and shoulders above those two? How exactly would a guy living in California know that Schremp is head and shoulders above Wolski and McGrath when all 3 of those players play in Ontario? Wouldn't you actually have to see each of these guys play on a routine basis to make a statement like that? Based on ability alone it could be well argued that both Wolski and McGrath are better pro prospects than Schremp. When character issues are factored into the equation your statement becomes even less vaild.

Since you're always putting the screws to USA Hockey, and American hockey players, you're hardly the most objective opinion. As for Schremp, his off ice controversy MIGHT cost him at draft time, but the consensus (among many draft sources) is he's one of the top two three most skilled players in the 2004 draft. If you don't think that's the case, fine, but don't pretend you have the final say.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
cdnhky1 said:

Typical Canadian arrogance....

I've never seen one person with a respected opinion, on this website, or any scouting website, say that Wolski or McGrath have more natural ability than Schremp.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Mobey said:
Typical Canadian arrogance....

I've never seen one person with a respected opinion, on this website, or any scouting website, say that Wolski or McGrath have more natural ability than Schremp.

LOL at the first part.

Secondly, natural ability does not always translate into NHL success, just as a reminder.

But what I really want to add to this conversation is that I don't think that letting players drop because of perceived attitude/other problems in the draft is the best thing to do always...

I mean O'Sullivan is thriving for Minnesota and he fell a TON because of perceived problems. Kiril Koltsov is another instance....Montreal's 10th OV pick 2 years ago (sorry, name eludes me right now, I'm in a hurry) dropped a few because of potential epilepsy, and now he looks like he could be a huge contributor....I don't know, I'm just sort of talking through this.

I've only seen Schremp play once, so I'm hesitant to say anything...but judging by the rave reviews he typically gets, I can't imagine him going much lower than 5-7, regardless of "attitude".

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Mountie said:
LOL at the first part.

Secondly, natural ability does not always translate into NHL success, just as a reminder.

But what I really want to add to this conversation is that I don't think that letting players drop because of perceived attitude/other problems in the draft is the best thing to do always...

I mean O'Sullivan is thriving for Minnesota and he fell a TON because of perceived problems. Kiril Koltsov is another instance....Montreal's 10th OV pick 2 years ago (sorry, name eludes me right now, I'm in a hurry) dropped a few because of potential epilepsy, and now he looks like he could be a huge contributor....I don't know, I'm just sort of talking through this.

I've only seen Schremp play once, so I'm hesitant to say anything...but judging by the rave reviews he typically gets, I can't imagine him going much lower than 5-7, regardless of "attitude".

I didn't say natural ability translates into NHL success.

leafaholix*

Douggy said:
First you put McGrath and Wolski ahead of Schremp, then you point out that Robbie has had better points-per-game over the past two years. What are you trying to say?
I said his attitude and the fact that USA decided to leave him off their WJC team will affect him when the NHL draft rolls around. The "points-per-game" thing is just to show that McGrath and Wolski have improved a fair amount compared to Robbie Schremp.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Boomhower said:
1 - LW, Wojtek Wolski / Brampton
2 -C, Robbie Schremp / London
3 - C, Evan McGrath / Kithener.
4 - LW, Brian Bickell / Ottawa
5 - D, Boris Valabik / Kitchener
6 - C, David Bolland / London
7 - C, Ryan Garlock / Guelph
8 - D, Mitch Maunu / Windsor
9 – LW, Vaclav Meidl / Plymouth
10 – LW, Adam Berti / Oshawa
11 – C, Peter Tsimikalis / Ottawa
12 – RW, Gino Pisellini / Plymouth
13 – D, Jordan Smith / Sault Ste. Marie
14 – C, Tyler Haskins / Toronto
15 – D, Kyle Raftis / Kingston
Other Noteables: C Tyler Kennedy (Sault Ste. Marie), D Kyle Wharton (Ottawa), LW Chad Painchaud ( Missisauga), C Jordan Morrison (Peterborough) , D Brodie Beard (Ottawa), Sean Courtney (Erie), LW Liam Reddox (Peterborough)

A few comments:
- I would put Schremp first as he does have the most raw ability. However, he is hardly "head and shoulders" above Wolski.(as Mobey ignorantly stated) The difference is very minimal between the two.
- Bickell should be lower. His hype really seems to exceed his talent. He is riding off of a 10-15 game stretch to open the season.
- I would also put Valabik lower. Certainly his size makes him an interesting project but, lets not kid ourselves, if he was 6'0, he would have trouble cracking the OHL top-25.
- I would move Bolland and Garlock up and I would possibly put Bolland over McGrath. Bolland has really impressed me.
- Maunu is the best defenseman in the OHL draft class. I really like everything about him. Skating, hockey sense, toughness. He also has some offensive potential.
- Berti is a real sleeper. He has good size at 6'3, good speed and good hands. Not to mention, it is practically his rookie year as he was limited to a few games last year because of injury.
- Tsmikalis is a real nice player. I see a lot of Eric Belanger in him and, in this draft class, that could make one of the better draft eligible OHLers.
- I have only seen Meidl and Pisseli once and both were invisible and I haven't seen Smith so I can't comment much on the three
- I have seen nothing in Raftis that warrants much draft consideration. Average OHL defenseman equates to little to no NHL potential.

My current rankings would be:

1.SCHREMP, Robbie London 1-Jul-86 5'11 197 C L
2.WOLSKI, Wojtek Brampton 24-Feb-86 6'3 200 LW L
3.BOLLAND, Dave London 6-May-86 5'11 1/2 171 C R
4.McGRATH, Evan Kitchener 14-Jan-86 5'11 1/2 181 C L
5.GARLOCK, Ryan Guelph 24-Apr-86 6'0 1/2 202 C L
6.MAUNU, Mitch Windsor 30-Jul-86 6'2 205 D L
7.BERTI, Adam Oshawa 1-Jul-86 6'3 188 LW L
8.TSIMIKALIS, Peter Ottawa 10-Jan-86 5'11 195 C L
9.MEIDL, Vaclav Plymouth 27-May-86 6'4 1/2 198 C L
10.BICKELL, Bryan Ottawa 9-Mar-86 6'3 210 LW L
11.HASKINS, Tyler Toronto St. Michael's 26-May-86 6'1 177 C R
12.WHARTON, Kyle Ottawa 3-Mar-86 6'2 1/2 185 D L
13.VALABIK, Boris Kitchener 14-Feb-86 6'6 211 D L
14.HULIT, Chris Oshawa 15-Jan-85 6'1 185 RW R
15.KALETA, Patrick Peterborough 8-Jun-86 5'11 1/2 195 RW R
-------------------------------------------------------------
HM: Reddox, Voakes, Smith, Painchaud, Nasby, Young, Stephenson

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Interesting write up.

I'd still have Rob Schremp as the best player available despite all this talk about an attitude problem. His skill set and potential offset those *supposed* problems for me.

Wolski is the number 2 guy though.

I agree with Mcgrath and Bickell (even though I'm uncertain at how high his NHL ceiling is) being 3rd and 4th.

I'd have Bolland 5th and Maunu 6th however....I agree with willie in that Maunu is the best defenseman available.

I think by the end of the year, we could see Liam Reddox continue to climb. He's pulling a Daniel Carcillo, laying in the weeds, slowly climbing.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
15.KALETA, Patrick Peterborough 8-Jun-86 5'11 1/2 195 RW R
IMO this guy has Steve Webb syndrome, He loves to run around throwing hits, but having the puck on his stick is like Kaleta's kryptonite, his talent is very limited.
14.HULIT, Chris Oshawa 15-Jan-85 6'1 185 RW R
I've seen this guy on TV twice in the last week or so and he was very good in both games. Seems to be a decent skater with some pretty good hands around the net.
- Berti is a real sleeper. He has good size at 6'3, good speed and good hands. Not to mention, it is practically his rookie year as he was limited to a few games last year because of injury.
That's a good analysis, I wish we could see Berti with a natural playmaking center, to get an Idea of how sure a finnisher he is....Definitely some upside here.
- I would also put Valabik lower. Certainly his size makes him an interesting project but, lets not kid ourselves, if he was 6'0, he would have trouble cracking the OHL top-25.
I guess we don't see eye to eye here ;) , but Valabik is the type of prospect who probably often draws completely different opinions. Most 6 footers can't move players around like Valabik is capable of, his mobility is not a problem, his reach takes space away from offensive players and he is already a good top 4 defenseman in Kitchener at 17 years old.
- I would move Bolland and Garlock up and I would possibly put Bolland over McGrath. Bolland has really impressed me.
Tough to argue with that, Bolland has been incredible, scoring big time goals and filling highlight reels. He has had a better season than McGrath, but McGrath hasn't played up to his potential and is more interesting from an NHL standpoint IMO.
- I have only seen Meidl and Pisseli once and both were invisible and I haven't seen Smith so I can't comment much on the three
17 year olds for ya, but they are rookies on a veteran Plymouth team, so maybe the coach was making them invisible that night. Meidl is getting a lot of hype and I've heard some people say he is the third best OHLer in the draft. Pissellini is definitely under the radar.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
1. Wojtek Wolski
2. Evan McGrath
3. Rob Schremp

Nice post, I totally agree. McGrath is hopefully going to be a very solid two-way player. I think that Schremp has more offensive upside. But, McGrath is more of a sure thing. McGrath is a team player with good off ice work habits. Schremp on the other hand....

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Boomhower said:
IMO this guy has Steve Webb syndrome, He loves to run around throwing hits, but having the puck on his stick is like Kaleta's kryptonite, his talent is very limited.

No doubt his talent is very limited but I have reservations about how many NHL players are going to come from this draft class and I could see Kaleta possibly making it as a grinder. He hits as good as any OHL player I have ever seen and, more importantly, he is very smart. He isn't some undisciplined nutcase like a lot of the other agitators you see.

I've seen this guy on TV twice in the last week or so and he was very good in both games. Seems to be a decent skater with some pretty good hands around the net.

He also has a very good work ethic. Upside is probably fairly limited but sometimes work ethic can overcome natural talent. Also, like Berti, he could use a natural playmaking center. (although it should be noted that the Berti-McBride-Hulit line is starting to develop some real chemistry)

That's a good analysis, I wish we could see Berti with a natural playmaking center, to get an Idea of how sure a finnisher he is....Definitely some upside here.

Yeah, it would be nice if he played alongside a guy like Locke to better gauge his talents. I watched him today and he picked up a couple points and was one of the best players on the ice. Good on the penalty kill too. Also of note, was that Garlock of Guelph went down with an injury that looked pretty serious. It could hurt his draft status.

I guess we don't see eye to eye here ;) , but Valabik is the type of prospect who probably often draws completely different opinions. Most 6 footers can't move players around like Valabik is capable of, his mobility is not a problem, his reach takes space away from offensive players and he is already a good top 4 defenseman in Kitchener at 17 years old.

I can understand where you're coming from as Valabik is a very intriuging prospect who has certainly played well this year. That said, I'm not buying into the hype just yet as I think players upside often gets overrated because of their size. (see former 1st rounder Kuznetsov)

Tough to argue with that, Bolland has been incredible, scoring big time goals and filling highlight reels. He has had a better season than McGrath, but McGrath hasn't played up to his potential and is more interesting from an NHL standpoint IMO.

I agree that McGrath is probably the more skilled player of the two in terms of natural skill but Bolland's play has definetly overshadowed McGrath's this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get chosen over McGrath.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Alex Kovalev said:
Nice post, I totally agree. McGrath is hopefully going to be a very solid two-way player. I think that Schremp has more offensive upside. But, McGrath is more of a sure thing. McGrath is a team player with good off ice work habits. Schremp on the other hand....

What bad off ice habits does Schremp have?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
willie said:
Also of note, was that Garlock of Guelph went down with an injury that looked pretty serious. It could hurt his draft status.
Hope it isn't serious.

Another injury of note; Bickell has missed the last couple games with a shoulder injury.....not sure how long he is supposed to be out for though.

jaybone87

Feb 1, 2003
Boomtown
Visit site
Adam Berti I think has a lot of potential and if he can bulk up I think he can be a good player. Next season he will most likely be Oshawa's #1 offensive player unless Eager returns or the unlikely return of Nathan Horton. I think he can be a good 2nd-3rd line player down the road in the NHL.

Chris Hulit is a guy who I would project to go in the 4-5th round he is a guy that you really dont notice on the ice and its because he doesnt make bad plays but he doesnt make spectacular plays either.

And for goalies how about Ryan Gibb he ran Chris Beckford-Tseu out of town I dont know if he will get drafted maybe some team will take a shot at him in the late rounds.

As for top players I like Wolski his style of play and he is a smart player and from what Ive heard is very coachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce