Books: Books, that are screaming for cinematic adaptation

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
There have been about 5 attempts to film it. Can not be done. Great book but making into a movie or mini series would be hard

There are no true likeable characters in the book, they're fascinating but not liekable, on paper. It's pretty dark stuff.

I agree I don't think it can be done well enough without changing it substantially to make it a great watch.

One of the best books I ever read.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I may regret saying this, but A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The fact that Hollywood's been dying for years to make this but has so far been unsuccessful kind of proves the point that the book is either unfilmable, or that at the very least a cinematic version would pale in comparison to the source material.

Still though, if some auteur could somehow pull off a flawless translation of this book to the silver screen then I have no doubt it would be hailed as one of the greatest comedies ever put to film. I'll always have a special place in my heart for pieces of fiction that can turn real-world locations into a living, breathing, central character, and I feel that Confederacy did to New Orleans what The Wire later did to Baltimore.

Plus who wouldn't pay good money to see corpulent and mustachioed Ignatius J. Reilly working at a hot dog stand and writing vaguely threatening letters to his dreamboat college professor from a decade ago, all while bemoaning the status of his "valve" to Fortuna?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I may regret saying this, but A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The fact that Hollywood's been dying for years to make this but has so far been unsuccessful kind of proves the point that the book is either unfilmable, or that at the very least a cinematic version would pale in comparison to the source material.

Still though, if some auteur could somehow pull off a flawless translation of this book to the silver screen then I have no doubt it would be hailed as one of the greatest comedies ever put to film. I'll always have a special place in my heart for pieces of fiction that can turn real-world locations into a living, breathing, central character, and I feel that Confederacy did to New Orleans what The Wire later did to Baltimore.

Plus who wouldn't pay good money to see corpulent and mustachioed Ignatius J. Reilly working at a hot dog stand and writing vaguely threatening letters to his dreamboat college professor from a decade ago, all while bemoaning the status of his "valve" to Fortuna?
The problem is that the gags are much more funny, due to the writing style, when we place our own interpretations via reading. It loses a lot acted out onstage or even on screen. It's most certainly unfilmable.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

The book is perfect, the movie will almost surely disappoint.

Reactions: Thucydides

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
One adaption I'd like to see is He, She and It. Some Sci Fi without a lot of Bang Boom Bang. Great story about the responsibility of creation, identity and gender set in a Jewish philosophy full of cyborgs, industrial espionage and the destruction of the world as we know it.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'd like to see any of the Culture books by Iain M Banks made into a film. Or all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad