Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part 3

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Currently half way through this, and really enjoying it thus far.

91Ny9bhgb5L.jpg

This looks interesting . Let us know what you think when you finish .

Reactions: Eco

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
41tBPu6TMWL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Author recreates Washington's trail from Virginia to New York, that Washington took to his first presidential inauguration. Describes the stops Washington made along the way, and how they look (physically & culturally) in the 21st century..

Reactions: Thucydides

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Rufin Gordin - "Under The Pushkin's Star"

This novel is 3d part of a trilogy called "Weird Person". And it's pretty weird

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Not ^this book.. but a couple weeks back you mentioned Mastering Fear (A Navy SEAL's Guide). Finally got to the head of the library hold list, and have read the first 25 pages. The SEAL related a potential close call in Afghan, & his childhood fear of sharks.. good stuff so far..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
41NRdc8CATL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Autobiography of the man who created the Vans shoe company.. and a history of the shoes.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Louise Penny's Gamache books. I don't have them all and I'm not reading them in chronological order, but I'm on my 4th book. A bit "formulaic" in her writing, but overall pretty good.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
91sSmucW+iL.jpg

How Western development helped to spread and sustain the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Just finished the first chapter which is a quick (personal) look at the epidemic in 21st century Botswana..

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Are you reading the Penguin version?

Its not the edition shown in the picture wich is from the early 19th century, I believe. Its the unabridged Everyman's Library version. Why do you ask? Are there any cuts made in the Penguin version?

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Its not the edition shown in the picture wich is from the early 19th century, I believe. Its the unabridged Everyman's Library version. Why do you ask? Are there any cuts made in the Penguin version?

I have the penguin version of the book. Volume 1. Haven’t cracked it open yet.

Are you liking it so far ?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I have the penguin version of the book. Volume 1. Haven’t cracked it open yet.

Are you liking it so far ?

Really liking it so far. The prose is just incredible. Gibbon has a very funny and subtle sense of humour as well. The narrative seems to mostly focus on the politics and intrigues of the emperors but there are also digressions into topics such as military and economic history and roman everyday life. The book probably won't stand up totally to modern research on antiquity and the 18th century worldview of Gibbon frequently shines through. But that is to be expected from a work this old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad