Book recommendations on how to play

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
I know there have been other topics started regarding hockey books, but didn't find anything strictly regarding books on how to play and strategies, etc. Does anyone have recommendations on books that are great for learning strategies and how to play certain situations?

ahabian

Dec 21, 2009
For coaching, or just general understanding of systems?

I've only read Hockey Plays & Strategies, but that was a nice introduction (and at times above me).

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
For coaching, or just general understanding of systems?

I've only read Hockey Plays & Strategies, but that was a nice introduction (and at times above me).

Either really. I would assume if you're reading a good book on how to coach hockey, you should also be getting stuff out of it to apply to your own playing.

Who's the author of that 'Hockey Plays & Strategies' you mentioned?

ahabian

Dec 21, 2009
Either really. I would assume if you're reading a good book on how to coach hockey, you should also be getting stuff out of it to apply to your own playing.

Who's the author of that 'Hockey Plays & Strategies' you mentioned?

It was co-authored by Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston.

It certainly helped me get a better feel for a lot of things. Most of what I took from it was positioning and things like that (I don't play in a team with a coach, so there's really no system, but I'm definitely more aware of the good places to be in thanks to this book), but it's also good for strategic pruposes; when to dump it in, when to support, when to go, and so on. I found the descriptions a bit heavy to read, but then again, I am Swedish, so most of the lingo doesn't apply to the game over here.

AvDog

Books? What are these things called "books" you speak of? I don't have any hockey books, but I follow a couple of really good hockey blogs that have helped me out a lot!

For strategies and drills:
Weiss Tech Hockey - http://weisstechhockey.com/blog/
Coach Nielsen's Blog - http://coachnielsen.wordpress.com/

For skating, shooting and individual skills:
How To Hockey - http://howtohockey.com/
HockeyShare blog - http://www.hockeyshare.com/blog/

The great things about blogs is that you can ask the authors questions and they'll more than likely answer them for you while those "book" things just sit there.

Also checkout U.S.A. Hockey's American Development Model. It's geared toward kids, but it works for anyone.

Good luck!

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Not so much for hockey strategies itself, But when I started to learn to skate I picked up a copy of Laura Stamm's Power Skating. Its helpful in telling you what technic to use, and how you should be doing it. But its never really about how helpful or good the book it, Its about if you understand it or can take anything from it since reading is a different way from learning first hand off someone else.

elevation

May 25, 2007
Germany
Ryan Walter's Hockey Plays and... is out in a 2010 release, love it.
The Hockey Play Book, Michael A. Smith, 2005..good too

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
Not so much for hockey strategies itself, But when I started to learn to skate I picked up a copy of Laura Stamm's Power Skating. Its helpful in telling you what technic to use, and how you should be doing it. But its never really about how helpful or good the book it, Its about if you understand it or can take anything from it since reading is a different way from learning first hand off someone else.

I agree with this, for just the skating aspect (which is obviously very important to play the sport) this is a definite read.

My original question really was getting at understanding the theory of the play, for instance under certain situations where each position should be playing, how to work together with the other positions, etc.

elevation

May 25, 2007
Germany
The OP looks for plays and strategies...old books use 2 line passes, so their forward and neutral plays are often useless...

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
It was co-authored by Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston.

It certainly helped me get a better feel for a lot of things. Most of what I took from it was positioning and things like that (I don't play in a team with a coach, so there's really no system, but I'm definitely more aware of the good places to be in thanks to this book), but it's also good for strategic pruposes; when to dump it in, when to support, when to go, and so on. I found the descriptions a bit heavy to read, but then again, I am Swedish, so most of the lingo doesn't apply to the game over here.

ok, I picked this one up at a Borders recently and have to say that it does help in understanding conceptually what the different positions should be doing in certain situations (Hockey Plays and Strategies, by Ryan Walter)

TinofGrizz

Feb 5, 2010
I was a big fan of "hockey for dummies". Might not be exactly what you are looking for but it did help me out a lot in the workout department. Also there are a few drills in there that I still run the kids through in practice.

LTNINGFan

I am glad I clicked this post. I am going to try my first ice season in March, and since I am so used to positioning from inline, I need to know where to be on ice. Hockey Plays And Strategies is a must for me then...

Seeing it on TV or in person, versus actually being out there are two totally different worlds for me:)

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
I was a big fan of "hockey for dummies". Might not be exactly what you are looking for but it did help me out a lot in the workout department. Also there are a few drills in there that I still run the kids through in practice.

I had always just assumed that "Hockey for Dummies" was just for those that are new to the sport that don't really know anything about it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Picked up Hockey Plays and Strategies (2010 edition) today at Chapters for $20. Probably will start reading it tomorrow as there was a game on tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad