Advice: Bone Spur In Hip Joint

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Been having trouble with my Hip/Groin area since mid June and finally went to the doctor last week and he sent me for an X-ray which he went over the results with me today and turns out that it’s a bone spur on/near my hip joint and is sending me for an MRI.

Has any one here had this problem or know anyone who has, I’m wondering if I’ll be able to play hockey without hurting something.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sorry to hear that and this probably won't be the answer you are looking for, but you should ask your doctor. I am not familiar with how such a thing might impact your ability to play hockey and every case has nuances.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Sorry to hear that and this probably won't be the answer you are looking for, but you should ask your doctor. I am not familiar with how such a thing might impact your ability to play hockey and every case has nuances.
He said I should be able to stay active but I’m kinda still looking for other people’s opinions since he didn’t seem certain. Thanks for the response.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Hey I’m a goalie and I have the same problem. I can barely walk after a game and their advice to me was to play out or find sports that have less impact on my hips, like cycling and swimming. I still play ball hockey in net once a week and that still hurts but I hate to give it up so I deal with the pain. Playing ice hockey 4to 5 hours a week was really taking a toll on every day life as I was walking around half the time with a limp. Have to have surgery to solve the problem but it will probably be a long time before that happens.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i dont know if the spur is as same as a heel spur and if it is close to the skin like a heel spur is . but i had a real bad heel spur for a year til folding up a peice of paper towel into a 4x4'' square - placing in pie tin - pouring apple cider vinegar and epson salt onto it . then every nite when sat at computer for a half hour ide rest my heel on top of that mixture . it disolved the spur in a month , and you can read on line its done same for thousands

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I talked to someone about this a while back, so second hand knowledge and all that stuff. They were going through this and said it's a common procedure. Some NHL players have it done quite often. They said it's quite simple. They make a small incision(s) to send some kind of tube/tool into your hip. The tool grinds away the spur and sucks out the debris.

It's an out patient procedure. They said you could be riding the bike the next day and that the recovery time is really only for the incision(s) to heel. And they should be able to play hockey without issue, well, unless the spurs come back, and then, they'll have to go through the process again.

Like I said, second hand knowledge, so take it with a huge grain.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
i dont know if the spur is as same as a heel spur and if it is close to the skin like a heel spur is . but i had a real bad heel spur for a year til folding up a peice of paper towel into a 4x4'' square - placing in pie tin - pouring apple cider vinegar and epson salt onto it . then every nite when sat at computer for a half hour ide rest my heel on top of that mixture . it disolved the spur in a month , and you can read on line its done same for thousands
With it being on the hip joint and with it not being visible or even being able to feel where it is with my fingers it’s probably to deep to work but that’s a cool remedy.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I talked to someone about this a while back, so second hand knowledge and all that stuff. They were going through this and said it's a common procedure. Some NHL players have it done quite often. They said it's quite simple. They make a small incision(s) to send some kind of tube/tool into your hip. The tool grinds away the spur and sucks out the debris.

It's an out patient procedure. They said you could be riding the bike the next day and that the recovery time is really only for the incision(s) to heel. And they should be able to play hockey without issue, well, unless the spurs come back, and then, they'll have to go through the process again.

Like I said, second hand knowledge, so take it with a huge grain.
Your getting my hopes up :laugh:. I’ve read some things that suggest I’d have to have my hip joint pulled out of the socket :eek:.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Sorry you're going through this. As somebody with arthritis in both hips hockey isn't painless anymore for me. I'll play max once a week now, that's all my body can take.

Listen to your doctor. Mine told me they wouldn't do hip replacements for somebody so young so stay active and take a lot of vitamin I (ibuprofen)

I still work out, play hockey occasionally, ski a lot during the winter, and it hurts, but it's what I love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad