Bolts high on "CULLEN: THREE QUARTER NHL AWARDS"

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"NORRIS TROPHY
Winner: Duncan Keith, Chicago
Runners-up: Erik Karlsson, Ottawa; Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay

After Keith and Karlsson, there are a number of worthy candidates, with my preferred choice being Victor Hedman, who has been great, while adding an offensive component that is far ahead of his previously established levels. I'm not sure that Team Sweden is on board with this vote, but that's their prerogative.

VEZINA TROPHY
Winner: Ben Bishop, Tampa Bay
Runners-up: Tuukka Rask, Boston; Semyon Varlamov, Colorado
Comment: As a 27-year-old who had played 45 career games coming into this season, Bishop has been a major surprise, a rock for a Lightning team that has maintained its playoff position despite missing Steven Stamkos for a couple of months.

CALDER TROPHY
Winner: Nathan MacKinnon, C, Colorado
Runners-up: Tyler Johnson, C, Tampa Bay; Olli Maatta, Pittsburgh

MacKinnon's closest challenger may be Johnson, an undrafted, 5-foot-9, 23-year-old who has simply scored wherever he's played and when Stamkos got hurt, Johnson took on more responsibility and continued to play at a high level.

Bruins power play quarterback Torey Krug and Johnson's left winger, Ondrej Palat, are other contenders.

JACK ADAMS AWARD
Winner: Bruce Boudreau, Anaheim
Runners-up: Ken Hitchcock, St. Louis; Jon Cooper, Tampa Bay.
Comment: It can be difficult to gauge exactly what a coach's role is in a team's performance, so there is some guess work involved here. One of the factors I try to take out of the equation, or at least minimize in importance, is goaltending, because great goaltending can mask all manner of shortcomings.

Admittedly, Jon Cooper has the benefit of outstanding goaltending, thanks to Ben Bishop, but his team has survived without Steven Stamkos and has done so with a lineup full of young, inexperienced players playing significant roles. For that, Cooper gets my nomination."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445599

Hopefully Bishop wins the real one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad