Boise state files grievance over NCAA Mountain West football distribution $$

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall

That $1.8 million bonus has long been a point of contention in the eyes of the league’s other members, which earned $1.1 million each from the last TV deal with CBS and ESPN while Boise State earned $2.9 million. The new contract with CBS and Fox will triple other schools’ distribution and double Boise State’s.

That bonus came from them returning to MW conference after planning on going to Big East before league fell apart. No end date to that agreement.

Currently discussing situation, hoping to avoid litigation.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Paywall

That bonus came from them returning to MW conference after planning on going to Big East before league fell apart. No end date to that agreement.

Currently discussing situation, hoping to avoid litigation.

This is a bit like when Gonzaga was threatening to move from the West Coast Conference to the Mountain West Conference, secured a TV deal within the West Coast Conference that provides an unequal amount of $$$ to Gonzaga, so Gonzaga stayed.

The American Athletic Conference would accept Boise State... for football only.

There's a curious question in this case: do other Mountain West schools think Boise State's standing in football has run its course? Do YOU kind of make Boise State must-watch TV? Do you give a rip about San Diego State or Air Force or Fresno State or the occasional Nevada surge? I'm not sure the Mountain West can afford to let Boise State go... but I don't think it's an easy equation. Consider that the last 5 "G5" representatives in the big 6 bowl games have been Houston, Western Michigan, Central Florida (2 years), and Memphis. Not Boise State, though never another Mountain West school.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
This is a bit like when Gonzaga was threatening to move from the West Coast Conference to the Mountain West Conference, secured a TV deal within the West Coast Conference that provides an unequal amount of $$$ to Gonzaga, so Gonzaga stayed.

The American Athletic Conference would accept Boise State... for football only.

There's a curious question in this case: do other Mountain West schools think Boise State's standing in football has run its course? Do YOU kind of make Boise State must-watch TV? Do you give a rip about San Diego State or Air Force or Fresno State or the occasional Nevada surge? I'm not sure the Mountain West can afford to let Boise State go... but I don't think it's an easy equation. Consider that the last 5 "G5" representatives in the big 6 bowl games have been Houston, Western Michigan, Central Florida (2 years), and Memphis. Not Boise State, though never another Mountain West school.

Provided I recall correctly, Gonzaga negotiated a higher share based off March madness earnings (which we bring in more than half) not TV revenue as the condition of staying in conference. There is a ESPN TV deal that is built around Gonzaga (and to a much lesser degree Saint Mary’s), but i don’t know the revenue breakout for it.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
OK, whoa.

Boise State sues Mountain West Conference over new TV deal, escalating tensions over the Broncos' future

There's a comment in a link in there from Tom Scott. He's the kind of guy in Boise who you kind of want to read you a bedtime story and don't mind if he slips in a couple Boise State stats. Level-headed. So apparently he thinks this relationship has gone, well, not plaid. Probably fractured.

I've been thinking this is something that gets negotiated and blows over. If it gets negotiated, at this point, the solution probably involves Craig Thompson getting fired. Something's going to get blown down now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad