Bogdan Yakimov.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
A monster of a man. I think he will make the NHL one day if he wishes to do so.
Any news on the big fella coming back to the Oilers Organization? Perhaps if vegas goes the russian route, they could claim Yakimov from the oilers.

What is his value? What could you see him doing at the NHL level?
20-30 point center with penalty killing abilities?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think he's basically a write-off at this point. He'll need a big bounceback year in the KHL next year to garner any interest from the Oilers. Doubt he'll ever cross the pond again honestly.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
tumblr_ml66t2LkAP1qgrjt5o2_500.gif

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A monster of a man. I think he will make the NHL one day if he wishes to do so.
Any news on the big fella coming back to the Oilers Organization? Perhaps if vegas goes the russian route, they could claim Yakimov from the oilers.

What is his value? What could you see him doing at the NHL level?
20-30 point center with penalty killing abilities?

Last thing I heard(flame away) is that his family issue is not sorted out yet and until that is--he is not heading back to North America

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lot of stuff flying around in this thread which I would label nothing but extreme speculation. Some sources would be nice.

Was really excited about this prospect, be nice to know what the heck actually happened, and if there is a NHL player there and if so will he come back.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know what NHL speed is anymore. I've seen guys skate like they're skating in mud and are in the NHL. Yak 2 doesn't skate any worse and has the NHL size. Looks to be training hard from his instagram. Most people wrote of Slepy about coming here and also wrote him off when he did come. So I'm going to hold out on the early judgements

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I think he's basically a write-off at this point. He'll need a big bounceback year in the KHL next year to garner any interest from the Oilers. Doubt he'll ever cross the pond again honestly.

His lack of explosiveness in his skating really held him back IMO.

^yup....can't skate well and can't score much at the pro level. he's been passed by a few players now in our system and likely won't be re-signed. gigantic player but that's about all he has in his arsenal.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I don't know what NHL speed is anymore. I've seen guys skate like they're skating in mud and are in the NHL. Yak 2 doesn't skate any worse and has the NHL size. Looks to be training hard from his instagram. Most people wrote of Slepy about coming here and also wrote him off when he did come. So I'm going to hold out on the early judgements

unfortunately the Oilers don't have forever to wait for players to develop, either they are developing or they are outa here. same for the Euro players. if they want to come here and put in a good effort to get to the NHL, which is where he should probably be trying to be next year considering he and Slepy were drafted the same year and look at Anton now, or he's not and the Oil should move on. Anton is pretty much going to make the Oilers full time next year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
3 goals in his KHL season this year. The guy is done!
If only he had the wheels and the heart.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wont make it just because he cant skate. As for the heart comments, I imagine these are because he went back to the KHL? I wonder if itd change peoples opinions if they realized he went back to the KHL for family reasons?

As a side note: never got why North Americans get upset when a Russian prospect who obviously wasnt good enough for NHL goes back to KHL instead of going to AHL. They are still developing lol. They are just doing it in their home city/ country. If the roles were reversed and KHL was the power house league, I bet no North American would be upset if a NA player came home to the NHL instead of going to the VHL

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wont make it just because he cant skate. As for the heart comments, I imagine these are because he went back to the KHL? I wonder if itd change peoples opinions if they realized he went back to the KHL for family reasons?

As a side note: never got why North Americans get upset when a Russian prospect who obviously wasnt good enough for NHL goes back to KHL instead of going to AHL. They are still developing lol. They are just doing it in their home city/ country. If the roles were reversed and KHL was the power house league, I bet no North American would be upset if a NA player came home to the NHL instead of going to the VHL

How many players went from an American pro league to an overseas league without a lockout and had success?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This former prospect is dead to me. We have much better ones in the pipeline. Time to move on.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How many players went from an American pro league to an overseas league without a lockout and had success?

A fair amount, actually alot. Not sure how this factors into that post. Many top leagues overseas are littered with North Americans not good enough for NHL

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Yakimov: Great size, showed some good hands during that one preseason stint in 14/15 when he was paired with Tkachev.

Unfortunately his speed was below average even at the AHL level and his acceleration was downright poor and 2 years in Bakersfield didn't seem to improve it one bit. And for all that chiseled physique he never put it to much use, he'd occasionally use it to shield the puck down low to good effect like Laraque used to do but otherwise wasn't physical at all...and given his 4 PIM in 50 KHL games this year it doesn't look like that's changed.

I still hold out a flickering hope that he can come back and give us some center depth because he seemed like a decent kid when he was here, but this next season is pretty much his last chance to show he can still fog a mirror.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
A fair amount, actually alot. Not sure how this factors into that post. Many top leagues overseas are littered with North Americans not good enough for NHL

And came back to have NHL success? I am not aware of a single example. Closest I can think of is Linus Omark.

Sorry if that was unclear. In my experience its a real NHL kiss of death to go back overseas.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
And came back to have NHL success? I am not aware of a single example. Closest I can think of is Linus Omark.

Sorry if that was unclear. In my experience its a real NHL kiss of death to go back overseas.

I agree. It is very rare. But there is two very different groups. There is your older 26+ year olds that go overseas after a failed NA experience and then start to tear up KHL or SHL. Theyll never make it. But then there is also your u25 Russians who play in the KHL for a while, till 25 and are able to make the jump to NHL (Panarin, Zaitev). In your example you are referring to the 1st group. Yakimov MIGHT (not likely) be in the 2nd group

I was probably unclear in my post too. I was referring to Russians (or any Euros) who arent good enough for NHL and likely never will be and go back to KHL. They were likely never going to make it if they stayed in the AHL for an extra 2 years

Yakimov is a great example. Dude wasnt going to make the NHL and it was clear after his AHL season. So I have no issue with him heading home for family reasons. His bid for NHL took no less of a hit by returning home, because it was already so low from AHL season

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree. It is very rare. But there is two very different groups. There is your older 26+ year olds that go overseas after a failed NA experience and then start to tear up KHL or SHL. Theyll never make it. But then there is also your u25 Russians who play in the KHL for a while, till 25 and are able to make the jump to NHL (Panarin, Zaitev). In your example you are referring to the 1st group. Yakimov MIGHT (not likely) be in the 2nd group

I was probably unclear in my post too. I was referring to Russians (or any Euros) who arent good enough for NHL and likely never will be and go back to KHL. They were likely never going to make it if they stayed in the AHL for an extra 2 years

Yakimov is a great example. Dude wasnt going to make the NHL and it was clear after his AHL season. So I have no issue with him heading home for family reasons. His bid for NHL took no less of a hit by returning home, because it was already so low from AHL season

I have a problem with him going home, even if it was because he missed his family and country. If you want to play in the NHL, you're likely not going to see a whole lot of your home, no matter where you live, except in the off season. This isn't a 12 year old that got homesick. The KHL is a decent league, but it is different ice surfaces and a different type of game. Guys come over here to get acclimatized to the NA game, and get comfortable with the lifestyle and language. It's a process, and can be long one. If he expected to have a job waiting for him because of his size, then he was sadly mistaken. Tons of guys just like that, and with a whole lot more cred. He needed to put his big boy pants on and suck it up, if he wanted to chase his dream. Things won't get any easier for him if he ever comes back.

And for the record, I agree with others, that have said his skating is a severe issue to ever making it to the bigs. Just as well for him if he stays there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I have a problem with him going home, even if it was because he missed his family and country. If you want to play in the NHL, you're likely not going to see a whole lot of your home, no matter where you live, except in the off season. This isn't a 12 year old that got homesick. The KHL is a decent league, but it is different ice surfaces and a different type of game. Guys come over here to get acclimatized to the NA game, and get comfortable with the lifestyle and language. It's a process, and can be long one. If he expected to have a job waiting for him because of his size, then he was sadly mistaken. Tons of guys just like that, and with a whole lot more cred. He needed to put his big boy pants on and suck it up, if he wanted to chase his dream. Things won't get any easier for him if he ever comes back.

And for the record, I agree with others, that have said his skating is a severe issue to ever making it to the bigs. Just as well for him if he stays there.

I have no issue with it when a player realizes NHL likely isnt a possibility and goes home. Yakimov wasnt a prized pick that we were banking on making it and then left. He was a depth pick with a slim to none chance (after his AHL year). I also think/hear the family thing was alot more than just missing family

I do have a problem with people saying a guy has a lack of heart because he returns to KHL for family reasons after realizing he wouldnt make the NHL. I think NA fans are pretty selfish, bascially saying if you dont grind your life away in AHL riding the bus for pretty low relative pay in a foreign country in the crappy cities then you have no heart

Its actually smart to realize your NHL dream is likely over and focus on doing something that will bring you better financial security. I think there is a fair number of career AHLers that should learn that lesson

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Jagr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad