BOG to meet next week????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
Bill Daly said:
"The bottom line is that the salary cap has not fostered the kind of problems competitively or product-wise in either the NBA or the NFL that they (the NHLPA) are suggesting it has,"

There you go. The proof is in the pudding.

Lanny MacDonald*

BLONG7 said:
Very interesting... the look of defeat on Trevor Linden's face doesn't bode well for what Bill Daly is saying though...Are the owners moving off of their cap position???

Moving offf the cap? I doubt it. I think the NHL BOG is going to finally cancel the season. Unless the players have come up with a counter offer, the season is finally going to be washed out and we can see all those highly skilled NHL players taking their rightful spots as greeters at WalMart.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

"We're trying to craft something that will work for both sides. And I can tell you that I think we're a lot closer than they're suggesting we are."

Interesting. I'm trying to think of why they would spin this positivly if they really were not close.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
BLONG7 said:
Very interesting... the look of defeat on Trevor Linden's face doesn't bode well for what Bill Daly is saying though...Are the owners moving off of their cap position???

What I find funny is several ownership groups have been in New York in the last couple of weeks, including Toronto's. .Maybe they might move off a cap, but doubtful

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The Iconoclast said:
Moving offf the cap? I doubt it. I think the NHL BOG is going to finally cancel the season. Unless the players have come up with a counter offer, the season is finally going to be washed out and we can see all those highly skilled NHL players taking their rightful spots as greeters at WalMart.

lol.....have you forgotten who owns the Blues and Avalanche.??

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My favorite part is that Bill Daly is the only one saying that they're a lot closer to a deal than people are saying...why?

likea

Jul 9, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
My favorite part is that Bill Daly is the only one saying that they're a lot closer to a deal than people are saying...why?

because I honestly think the players talked about a cap the past 2 days and they are very close to accepting that portion of it

what might have killed htose talks is how the over the cap clubs would be dealt with

the owners could come back and give in on that now and make the players look good for giving in on a cap

its a way for both to look like they gave in and the both kinda won something

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Here is another question. On Sportsnet Hockey Central, Nick Kipreos(sp) said that there are several ownership groups directly contacting the PA. Why?? And if the rumor is true that there are 12 ownership groups not happy about the lockout, have they developed more support?

Harley Hotchkiss is a very smart and respected businessman, has he found something he can work with?? Another question, when Harley Hotchkiss was in that room talks went to a second day, without him they came to a halt, why?

Zeta16

Mar 17, 2003
Ohio
I was talking to my friends that like hockey and most said if the owners give in without a cap, then they will not come back to watch. I think there are a ton of fans out there that want to see things fixed.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
OilerFan4Life said:
Either:

1) Drop dead date for season.

or 2) A vote like the PA is allegedgly having

"We realize we have failed as owners and wish the next league all the best. We will hand over the Stanley Cup as a sign of good faith because it was never ours in the first place..."

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
NHL refutes report of BOG meeting

TSN.ca Staff with files from Eagle Tribune

1/22/2005

There is no move from the owners just yet as NHL governors told TSN that published reports of an upcoming board of governors meeting were erroneous.

The Eagle Tribune outside of Boston reported Saturday that the league's board of governors will meet next week.

Despite the grim outlook of the NHL lockout outlined by the NHL Players' Association on Friday, NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly insists all is not lost.

:dunno: That's what I read, when I clicked on the link.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Lady Rhian said:
NHL refutes report of BOG meeting

TSN.ca Staff with files from Eagle Tribune

1/22/2005

There is no move from the owners just yet as NHL governors told TSN that published reports of an upcoming board of governors meeting were erroneous.

The Eagle Tribune outside of Boston reported Saturday that the league's board of governors will meet next week.

Despite the grim outlook of the NHL lockout outlined by the NHL Players' Association on Friday, NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly insists all is not lost.

:dunno: That's what I read, when I clicked on the link.

That is why I posted it with question marks. And what does just yet mean, does that mean that Monday is out but Tuesday is ok? Do the owners have a proposal in the works?

robcav

Mar 9, 2004
The reason for Daly's "all is not lost" comments are that they help the NHL maintain its transparent "we are still bargaining" approach. Expect a final offer soon which will be a take it or leave it. Even if the NHL doesn't plan to go to impasse, which most would agree would be a risky move. The threat of going to impasse, may force the NHLPA hand.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
robcav said:
The reason for Daly's "all is not lost" comments are that they help the NHL maintain its transparent "we are still bargaining" approach. Expect a final offer soon which will be a take it or leave it. Even if the NHL doesn't plan to go to impasse, which most would agree would be a risky move. The threat of going to impasse, may force the NHLPA hand.

You're completely right. Daly doesn't want to say, "well, I know it's over, but here's an offer I know you'll reject..."

That being said, there is no way the meetings with the players did not give the owners some sort of new avenue to approach the cap. They're smart people (unless it's regarding the giving out of NHL contracts, then they are stupid, stupid, STUPID people) and should be able to offer a reasonably good deal that at least makes the players think.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004

"We're trying to craft something that will work for both sides. And I can tell you that I think we're a lot closer than they're suggesting we are."

Interesting. I'm trying to think of why they would spin this positivly if they really were not close.

To me it would be logical to get the fans to beleive that PA was responsible for the cancelation (which they would be anyhow) right as they were ratcheting up the good news that the season may be getting under way.

It would be sort-of a cheesy slam but hey this is the kind of hard ball that these two are playing.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
R0CKET said:
To me it would be logical to get the fans to beleive that PA was responsible for the cancelation (which they would be anyhow) right as they were ratcheting up the good news that the season may be getting under way.

It would be sort-of a cheesy slam but hey this is the kind of hard ball that these two are playing.

The players share equal blame with the owners if the season is cancelled.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
GregStack said:

Well maybe my point wasn't really clear cuz to me they are 80% of the problem.

I don't honstly feel its an equal share of the blame.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
R0CKET said:
Well maybe my point wasn't really clear cuz to me they are 80% of the problem.

I don't honstly feel its an equal share of the blame.

Why not? The owners have admitted to being the cause of the problem, so causing the problem has to account for something right? The players and the owners have seemingly refused to budge (owners moreso than the players--but there is another proposal on the way...so we'll see) so I think a 50/50 split on fault is reasonable.

Or to be even more accurate--a Bettman 50/Goodenow 50 split is reasonable.

Wetcoaster

GregStack said:
How????

The players are being proactive. The owners are almost comatose.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
GregStack said:
Why not? The owners have admitted to being the cause of the problem, so causing the problem has to account for something right? The players and the owners have seemingly refused to budge (owners moreso than the players--but there is another proposal on the way...so we'll see) so I think a 50/50 split on fault is reasonable.

Or to be even more accurate--a Bettman 50/Goodenow 50 split is reasonable.

I guess I look at this like a ship that has a really F'd up Captian at the helm and that is now within clear eye-shot of certain disaster on the rocks. The players on board can either just holler "the Captian caused this" as the ship goes down.

OR - they can suck it up and realize that they can become part of the solution and get the job done and save ALL of their own jobs and skins.

Once you have a dire issue its rather pointless to waste allot of time going all through why your here when all that's going to save you at this point is a combined effort.

The Cap is what will save these franchises, and now we will see if they can put their egos aside (making 70% of all revenues I might add) and do what needs to be done to keep all their members emplyed and playing in the NHL.

Its the players call at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad