Bobs, defense, or both?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Jarmo better be burning up the phone lines today searching for an upgrade on defense. That video of Prout's turnover and Connauton's lazy checking is a microcosm of the start to this season.

In terms of making a move, it wouldn't shock me if Milano, Bjorkstrand, or our 1st rounder is on the table. This team is clearly (or should be) in win-now mode with the core locked up, and we have plenty of scoring on the roster for the future.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
No goalie can correct defensive mistakes like this, nor can he make saves against that kind of offensive execution. Bob's problem isn't letting a goal like this in, its the mental weakness he has that drags his play down after a goal like this.

Prout and Cotton, WTF guys...

https://streamable.com/cf0y

Thanks for posting that. My buddy and I were... besides ourselves following that play.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Jarmo better be burning up the phone lines today searching for an upgrade on defense. That video of Prout's turnover and Connauton's lazy checking is a microcosm of the start to this season.

In terms of making a move, it wouldn't shock me if Milano, Bjorkstrand, or our 1st rounder is on the table. This team is clearly (or should be) in win-now mode with the core locked up, and we have plenty of scoring on the roster for the future.

As Porty tweeted last night...exactly who in this league is looking to trade for prospects in October? Especially giving up top 4 D in return. As he said, this idea is acceptable in concept but is a "March" trade.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
As Porty tweeted last night...exactly who in this league is looking to trade for prospects in October? Especially giving up top 4 D in return. As he said, this idea is acceptable in concept but is a "March" trade.
Exactly. Jarmo ****ed up by trading for Saad. I love having Saad obviously, but it was the absolute wrong trade at the right time. I thought it then and it's even more apparent now. Now we're screwed because Saad's 6 mil was supposed to be our money for a d upgrade.

What upgrade can we get now when we're up against the cap? I don't blame Richards or Bob. This is 100% Jarmo's fault for making an ill advised trade, regardless of how well Saad has played. Now we're likely stuck with (largely) the same defense until at least the deadline. It's a shame.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Exactly. Jarmo ****ed up by trading for Saad. I love having Saad obviously, but it was the absolute wrong trade at the right time. I thought it then and it's even more apparent now. Now we're screwed because Saad's 6 mil was supposed to be our money for a d upgrade.

What upgrade can we get now when we're up against the cap? I don't blame Richards or Bob. This is 100% Jarmo's fault for making an ill advised trade, regardless of how well Saad has played. Now we're likely stuck with (largely) the same defense until at least the deadline. It's a shame.

I don't regret that trade at all. It made sense then, and it makes sense now - the CBJ needed a top-line winger who could grow with Joey. When deals like that become available, a good GM reacts. Saad will be contributing to this team long after this slump is forgotten.

But, there should have been other moves made (including clearing other salaries) after that trade to shore up the D.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I don't regret that trade at all. It made sense then, and it makes sense now - the CBJ needed a top-line winger who could grow with Joey. When deals like that become available, a good GM reacts. Saad will be contributing to this team long after this slump is forgotten.

But, there should have been other moves made (including clearing other salaries) after that trade to shore up the D.
My main issue with it isn't so much the trade itself as it was the use of the cap space we had. Now we have Saad, Foligno, Dubi, Clarkson, and Hartnell already signed to large long term contracts, and Joey will likely need a huge raise, Boone will be in line for a raise... My problem with it is Saad's money was supposed to be the money we used for a defensive upgrade. Now we don't have the space. All we can hope is that the cap shoots up or we can offload someone like Tyutin or Hartnell. Other than that, we have too much money spent on forwards, and as a result, have severely hampered our opportunities to legitimately upgrade our defense.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My main issue with it isn't so much the trade itself as it was the use of the cap space we had. Now we have Saad, Foligno, Dubi, Clarkson, and Hartnell already signed to large long term contracts, and Joey will likely need a huge raise, Boone will be in line for a raise... My problem with it is Saad's money was supposed to be the money we used for a defensive upgrade. Now we don't have the space. All we can hope is that the cap shoots up or we can offload someone like Tyutin or Hartnell. Other than that, we have too much money spent on forwards, and as a result, have severely hampered our opportunities to legitimately upgrade our defense.

I tend to agree. We have too many guys signed long term. If we were 4-0 not as big of a deal but would still be disconcerting to me.

The cap will go up but how much is the question. Buyouts are an option but for whatever reason we don't seem to like them as a n option.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Wtf? Is this thought process even remotely explainable?

Show confidence in Bob?

A la basketball...let shooters shoot themselves out of a slump?

There's a back-to-back with the roadie at Chicago, so he was going to play one of those probably?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Show confidence in Bob?

A la basketball...let shooters shoot themselves out of a slump?

There's a back-to-back with the roadie at Chicago, so he was going to play one of those probably?
I'll admit I haven't looked at the schedule, but I don't think I would start a goalie who just said they had zero confidence. Let me guess, Golo isn't going in either.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I'll admit I haven't looked at the schedule, but I don't think I would start a goalie who just said they had zero confidence. Let me guess, Golo isn't going in either.

Bob is shell shocked right now and needs a game or two off to regroup. I was hoping for a real backup in the off season because Bob still is young but needs to groom his game more, there are a few tweaks here and there that need to be fixed.

As for a defense, Tyutin is awful as is Prout and CanNotDefen. JJ is trying too hard to be offensive and that is just what his game is now, very offensive to us fans. They better fix it or they'll be in a hole like last year only this year there won't be fresh legs to carry them at the end of the season.

abs94

Oct 14, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Okay give bobs a break, it's not just him struggling it's everybody on that team... If I have watched the games correctly our defense is a joke!!

Kutter

Jan 27, 2008
Dublin
It sounds like Goloubef is in. Not that he is a savior but Richards should have tried that two games ago. Clarkson likely also in, maybe Wennberg. With the back to backs, would like to see Rychel up as well.

Without a doubt, should be starting CMac on Friday and give Bob a mental break for a game. If the team responds to CMac being in net on Friday, then make the tough decision who to play Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad