Bobrovsky Save of the Year

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, it worked but along the ice was free. Hasek would instead have cartwheeled on his back with his blocker arm tightly against the ice to cover the option along the ice while hopefully covering the upper parts of the net with his pads, which is really the best thing to do here.

This one looked good because by luck the opponent happened to hit the one part of the net he covered with his arm, but he seriously didn't cover a lot. I'm not a fan of calling saves where the opponent luckily hits just the one part he covers as incredible saves, even if they happen to work out. Especially in situations like this, where along the ice would be a free goal as it's completely uncovered, because by default, shooting the puck along the ice should be trivial.

In short, not save of the year for me, but I can see why people find it impressive. I'm not fond of results-based evaluation.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Well, it worked but along the ice was free. Hasek would instead have cartwheeled on his back with his blocker arm tightly against the ice to cover the option along the ice while hopefully covering the upper parts of the net with his pads, which is really the best thing to do here.

This one looked good because by luck the opponent happened to hit the one part of the net he covered with his arm, but he seriously didn't cover a lot. I'm not a fan of calling saves where the opponent luckily hits just the one part he covers as incredible saves, even if they happen to work out. Especially in situations like this, where along the ice would be a free goal as it's completely uncovered, because by default, shooting the puck along the ice should be trivial.

In short, not save of the year for me, but I can see why people find it impressive. I'm not fond of results-based evaluation.
Welp, I'm not inviting you to any parties lol

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease

Fair, but the shooter didn't read the play so he went with the high shot which is a good bet normally on a cross crease for the goalie

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
llFIT08.gif

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kudos to Bobrovky for not giving up. That reminded me of a goal in Game 1 of CAR-NYI in where Varlamov seemingly gave up after making the initial save. Even if it seems unlikely that you'll stop the next shot, you need to at least try, especially in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad