Bobrovsky named Vezina Trophy finalist

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Has everyone voted yet?

I know that it's only for the regular season but Bob has been very good in the playoffs, great except for last game. Demko got hurt and Hellebuyck stunk it it so far.

If they haven't voted yet I could see a deep playoff run with continued solid goaltending swaying some folks.

Reactions: harv33173

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Has everyone voted yet?

I know that it's only for the regular season but Bob has been very good in the playoffs, great except for last game. Demko got hurt and Hellebuyck stunk it it so far.

If they haven't voted yet I could see a deep playoff run with continued solid goaltending swaying some folks.

It is just based on regular season. Playoff performance is irrelevant.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Bob seems like a good guy and say what you want about his performance up/down over past few years, he always puts in the effort. Well-deserved and happy for him.

If anything as Panther fans, we've been blessed by some really good goaltending through the years even if a lot of other things have sucked.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
They already voted. Hellebuyck won the Vezina. Bob probably finished second. Hellebuyck was pretty f***ing bad vs the Avalanche, but it doesn't matter, because the Vezina is for the 82 game season and the vote are submitted before the playoffs.

If Bob wants an award, he can try to win the Conn Smythe.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

@ScottyMascotty

Don't know if you've heard , But this goalie analytic stuff is very interesting.
Interesting how the first couple years of Bob in Florida, he couldn't quite figure out what was the problem.

This is about 20 minutes, but a very interesting listen.

Oh I can figure it out. I didn't listen to the video, but I know a big reason why he struggled. This team was a defensive liability when he got here. Goaltenders struggle behind those type of teams. The defense became elite this season, and low and behold, Vezina nomination. Those Columbus teams he won the Vezina with, were good defensively with Torts coaching them.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
They already voted. Hellebuyck won the Vezina. Bob probably finished second. Hellebuyck was pretty f***ing bad vs the Avalanche, but it doesn't matter, because the Vezina is for the 82 game season and the vote are submitted before the playoffs.

If Bob wants an award, he can try to win the Conn Smythe.

The Avs are also one of the most high octane offences in the league. They could have made any goaltender in the league look like that. Basing a regular season award off one series in the playoffs would be ridiculous.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The Avs are also one of the most high octane offences in the league. They could have made any goaltender in the league look like that. Basing a regular season award off one series in the playoffs would be ridiculous.

To be fair, Hellebuyck stunk in that series. Not an advanced stat guy, but the analytics match the eye test. Hellebuyck needed to make like one good save last night to keep his team in it, and he couldn't do that.

But yes, you're also right that it would be silly to factor in one series to a regular season award.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

@ScottyMascotty

Don't know if you've heard , But this goalie analytic stuff is very interesting.
Interesting how the first couple years of Bob in Florida, he couldn't quite figure out what was the problem.

This is about 20 minutes, but a very interesting listen.

fascinating. thanks for posting.

Oh I can figure it out. I didn't listen to the video, but I know a big reason why he struggled. This team was a defensive liability when he got here. Goaltenders struggle behind those type of teams. The defense became elite this season, and low and behold, Vezina nomination. Those Columbus teams he won the Vezina with, were good defensively with Torts coaching them.

well, he said bob went from the best on breakaways and east-west shots to the worst and he didn't see anything obviously wrong.

this really underscores how big the blind spots are in analytics. a company run by an ex-NHL goalie who's doing the analysis himself couldn't make a determination.

our hunch is that yeah, it's because he was playing behind chaos. is there a difference between facing 5 vs 10 difficult east/west shots in a game? 1-2 breakaways a night vs a week? valiquette said he thought it was psychological but I don't agree. or at least I think it's was some of both. valiquette talked about how he can gauge fatigue by looking at the width of goalie stance early in season vs late. this was in the context of how many games goalies should play during the regular season. wouldn't that also have an effect within a game?

I think we just don't have a clear enough picture on how the dots connect yet to understand deep issues like this.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
To be fair, Hellebuyck stunk in that series. Not an advanced stat guy, but the analytics match the eye test. Hellebuyck needed to make like one good save last night to keep his team in it, and he couldn't do that.

But yes, you're also right that it would be silly to factor in one series to a regular season award.

As much as we are praising Bob and stating Vasi kept Tampa in it, they finished with .896 and .897 save percentage. Not exactly smythe or indeed vezina winning numbers. However, Bob did make some big saves when needed. I didn't think Hellebuyck was particularly bad. He just wasn't a difference maker when needed against a very dangerous Colorado offense.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Non of this analytics stuff touches on the psychological side of things or has any baring on it. So if they're looking for causes they are in the dark. Bob was a notorious head case already in Colombus where they tried to wheel him to a psychologist. I'd bet that a lot of his problems were psychological the first few years here.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Non of this analytics stuff touches on the psychological side of things or has any baring on it. So if they're looking for causes they are in the dark. Bob was a notorious head case already in Colombus where they tried to wheel him to a psychologist. I'd bet that a lot of his problems were psychological the first few years here.
I notice that in his interviews the last couple of years, he's constantly talking about "focus" and "taking one game at a time" and "staying in the moment" in games. It wouldn't surprise me if he's done some work with a sports psychologist, especially since we have a full-time one on staff now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad