Bobby Ryan

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
With Svech going to the Peg and Boyle/Fil going to Europe, h'es the only UFA we have left that hasn't signed with us or someone else.
I wouldn't hate signing him to a 1 year deal, but I guess it depends on what the plans are with the kids. I would prefer him playing over guys like Gagner or Namestnikov.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's no reason to sign him.

He didn't score anyhow exceptional rate, after the hot and lucky start (4 goals in 3 games), cooled down pretty bad and was probably worst 5-on-5 forward on the team.

There is a reason why he is not signed anywhere.

Reactions: FMichael

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Pass, we have more than enough wingers and plenty of veteran leadership. If we added a forward I would prefer a guy in our age group with some potential left like Donato or Kahun. I like where we're sitting right now though, with some room for young guys in the system to make a push.

Reactions: golffuul

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I think Yzerman will definitely plug the hole. Probably Anisimov or a waiver pickup reclamation project. Kids are gonna have to hope for injuries if they want to be in the NHL.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Don't see him returning to the Wings, this year. We have too many kids that need playing time.

Reactions: FMichael

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think if the wings have an honest conversation with Ryan its the opportunity to get balls out ice time and build a case for relevance on a reasonable 1 year contract with the intention of moving him to a contender for a second or third. Maybe we can get back on of the picks from the Cossa trade that people are concerned about (myself not included).

Not sure if its taboo to sign a player with the intention of trading but that is kind of the only thing I care about in Ryan's case. I liked him while he was here it was a very inconvenient injury though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think if the wings have an honest conversation with Ryan its the opportunity to get balls out ice time and build a case for relevance on a reasonable 1 year contract with the intention of moving him to a contender for a second or third. Maybe we can get back on of the picks from the Cossa trade that people are concerned about (myself not included).

Not sure if its taboo to sign a player with the intention of trading but that is kind of the only thing I care about in Ryan's case. I liked him while he was here it was a very inconvenient injury though.

Teams can sign him under 1M. But no one is signing.

Ryan's NHL career is probably over.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I like Ryan and think he's a great guy, but he's probably better off somewhere else. I'd like to see him catch on with a contender, win a cup and then ride off into the sunset.

Reactions: Gniwder

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

IMO, a 2nd or 3rd for Ryan at this point is super unrealistic unless he somehow turns back the clock 10 years and then some... Even Vanek on pace for 25G and 65P looking like his struggles between Buffalo and Detroit were just a blip on the radar while having a better resume at that point than Ryan, only returned a conditional 3rd. And that was with the Wings retaining the full 50% and taking on the buried 1-way contract of McIlrath to offset most of the remaining real $ cost of adding Vanek.

I would think any player signing a 1 year deal with a team at the bottom of the league without some sort of NTC knows there's a good chance they won't finish the season with that team.

If the Wings bring back Ryan, it's probably a repeat of the opportunity he got last season, where he's a good pro to have around to help them develop the young guys on the roster. And then if he re-establishes himself a bit, perhaps he can catch on with a playoff team at the deadline or when he hits the UFA market again. In the case of a deadline trade, I'm sure Yzerman would move him to the highest bidder if it makes sense... though it's unlikely to be anything of real consequential value, aside from opening a spot for a deserving young guy to finish the season in the NHL.

At the same time, perhaps the Wings are looking at other options. Outside of his first 4 goals coming in his first 3 games, Ryan otherwise had 3 goals, 7 assists and was -16 in 30 games despite getting tons of regular PP time and being their most offensively sheltered forward at even strength with some of the Wings best forwards.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
IMO, a 2nd or 3rd for Ryan at this point is super unrealistic unless he somehow turns back the clock 10 years and then some... Even Vanek on pace for 25G and 65P looking like his struggles between Buffalo and Detroit were just a blip on the radar while having a better resume at that point than Ryan, only returned a conditional 3rd. And that was with the Wings retaining the full 50% and taking on the buried 1-way contract of McIlrath to offset most of the remaining real $ cost of adding Vanek.

I would think any player signing a 1 year deal with a team at the bottom of the league without some sort of NTC knows there's a good chance they won't finish the season with that team.

If the Wings bring back Ryan, it's probably a repeat of the opportunity he got last season, where he's a good pro to have around to help them develop the young guys on the roster. And then if he re-establishes himself a bit, perhaps he can catch on with a playoff team at the deadline or when he hits the UFA market again. In the case of a deadline trade, I'm sure Yzerman would move him to the highest bidder if it makes sense... though it's unlikely to be anything of real consequential value, aside from opening a spot for a deserving young guy to finish the season in the NHL.

At the same time, perhaps the Wings are looking at other options. Outside of his first 4 goals coming in his first 3 games, Ryan otherwise had 3 goals, 7 assists and was -16 in 30 games despite getting tons of regular PP time and being their most offensively sheltered forward at even strength with some of the Wings best forwards.

eh Vanek clearly had some sort of reputational thing for being soft or whatever going on suppressing his trade value below what his performance would otherwise justify

Ryan doesn't have that his performance just isn't good

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I like Ryan and think he's a great guy, but he's probably better off somewhere else. I'd like to see him catch on with a contender, win a cup and then ride off into the sunset.
I like Bobby too, but I'd rather see Joey, Berggren, or Raymond.

He probably gets a PTO with a team with a roster spot but not a lot of cap space. Maybe the Islanders or Wild? Really don't see much other options, most teams already have a full roster.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was a fan of Ryan on the team because he played hard and did the little things every shift. But he's not really something the Wings need outside of him being in Zadina's ear at practice telling and showing him how to get a shot of quicker and to shoot more.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Any updates on Ryan? Has Yzerman said he's not bringing him back? Is he still hurt?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Any updates on Ryan? Has Yzerman said he's not bringing him back? Is he still hurt?

He is gone.

Yzerman won't say that kind of things in public, but after free agency, he kind of said that maybe he tries to add 1-2 forwards more on the team.

And since then he has added Mitchell Stephens and Carter Rowney, as rebuilding the penalty kill. Top9 forward spots are already filled for Ryan -type of players.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He is gone.

Yzerman won't say that kind of things in public, but after free agency, he kind of said that maybe he tries to add 1-2 forwards more on the team.

And since then he has added Mitchell Stephens and Carter Rowney, as rebuilding the penalty kill. Top9 forward spots are already filled for Ryan -type of players.

While I dont disagree with you, have any sources said as much? Are there any talks of him signing elsewhere? Maybe a PTO?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Twitter is quiet on Bobby Ryan. A few Habs fans seem to want him.

Ya its odd. Hes not what he used to be, but I figured his play last year would at least peak someone's interest. I wonder if he's still hurt.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ya its odd. Hes not what he used to be, but I figured his play last year would at least peak someone's interest. I wonder if he's still hurt.

I'm really surprised how quiet things get even in noise machines like Twitter.
I was looking for info about Athanasiou's contract, doing a twitter search every few days - and the only tweets over the last 48-72 hours would be twitter bot accounts (fake rumor accounts, gag tweets).

Part of me wonders if Ryan is just gonna retire.

Last 3 seasons.
78 games 15-27-42
24 games 5-3-8
33 games 7-7-14

If he did land anywhere, maybe it should be with a contender, a team that might need veteran help on the 2nd PP unit.

Reactions: kliq

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm really surprised how quiet things get even in noise machines like Twitter.

If he did land anywhere, maybe it should be with a contender, a team that might need veteran help on the 2nd PP unit.

No.

He is crap in a tanking team.

Typically you are out with of your own NHL thoughts. Just having the "tonaldtrumb" -opinion.

Keep up the good work.

Ryan is done. All Red Wings replacements are lookin at least eqaully better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: