Bobby Ryan will be a healthy scratch tonight

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
if only he made $6m per I'd swap him for Eriksson - just for something different as both are getting healthy scratched.

Ryan is a much better player still and is much younger than Eriksson. Vancouver would need to add.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Buy him out so that he can sign with Dallas to form the Old & Slow Line: Ryan/Pavelski/Perry

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not all players, but a lot of players get too comfortable and lose their interest/drive when they get that fat contract. I think Ryan is the perfect example of this. He looks about as interested as I do looking at a wall for hrs. Many coaches have talked about it before about how these long term contracts removed a players drive. They no longer have to fight to stay in the league.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I didn't even know he was still playing, i am not even joking. And i've watched some Ottawa games this year.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Never liked him. Entitled, greedy and lazy people in general are disgusting.

Honestly I dislike him to my very core as a hockey player but he is certainly not entitled or greedy. He's actually very hard on himself and loses confidence very easily when he isn't producing. I don't think he's lazy either, but he has poor conditioning and skating which makes it look like he's not trying hard enough.

He throws the body and backchecks, it's not for lack of trying.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Honestly even at the time many of us said it would not be a good trade for Ottawa. It was clear that playing with Getz + Perry propped up his numbers.

He hit a high of 56 points in Ottawa and I'm not sure re-signing him to that big of a contract was a great move, even at the time.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
fb8e696cb67016580235eadee1bec975.jpg

Reactions: thedustman

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I thought he would be better. I figured Ottawa was getting a 30 goal scorer, as he had done that a few times in Anaheim. He was acquired when he was 26. There were good reasons to believe he’d be a very good player in Ottawa. His first three seasons here were fine, but nothing great. Since then he’s been pretty bad, save the 2017 playoffs, where he played very well and scored some big goals.

Injuries were a part of it for sure, but a friend of my dad’s met Guy Boucher a couple of years ago, and Boucher basically said that when Ryan got his big contract, he just got complacent. It happens I guess.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
totally forgot he was still in the league

feels like forever ago he was a yearly 30 goal scorer for the ducks

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Ryan is a much better player still and is much younger than Eriksson. Vancouver would need to add.

Eriksson has like 9M left on his deal compared to around 22.5M for Ryan. Melnyk would take that deal and run, he’d probably for Dorian to add something to make it work

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Let's not pretend that injuries haven't been a legitimate factor in Ryan's decline. It is painful to watch him get the puck in good shooting position and refuse to shoot. His puck handling and play-making are still above average but he can't shoot the puck anymore and oppositions know it. If he still had his shot nobody would care about the poor skating ability.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Honestly I dislike him to my very core as a hockey player but he is certainly not entitled or greedy. He's actually very hard on himself and loses confidence very easily when he isn't producing. I don't think he's lazy either, but he has poor conditioning and skating which makes it look like he's not trying hard enough.

He throws the body and backchecks, it's not for lack of trying.

Maybe not directly greedy but poor conditioning for years on end, while knowing that it is impeding him as a player, tells me of laziness and entitlement. He should have done something. Again, when anyone is paid that kind of salaries to do something that amounts basicly to a recreational game, better bust their ass and keep in shape, leave everything on the ice too.

Reactions: Boud

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Given the crap show of a childhood he had, including living with a father who was on the run from the US Marshalls, I'm not sure he's "entitled"

I think he's just happy he made it to the NHL.

Ok, hearing that softens my stance a bit. But just a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad