Bobby Ryan quietly putting together a very good year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

in 16 games he has 14 goals 33 assists for 47 points which makes him second in the OHL scoring race. It seems like he is flying under the radar, but averaging almost 3 PPG on a team that's not exactly an offensive power house. He has had a hand in almost 55 percent of his teams goals and is a virtual lock for the American WJC team.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Let no-one say I didn't tell them.

Let's compare his stats to Pouliot.

Ryan 16 GP 14G 33A 47 P 2nd in OHL Scoring

Pouliot 13 GP 6 G 13 A 19 P 51st iin OHL Scoring.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
GagneOwnsYou said:
Let no-one say I didn't tell them.

Let's compare his stats to Pouliot.

Ryan 16 GP 14G 33A 47 P 2nd in OHL Scoring

Pouliot 13 GP 6 G 13 A 19 P 51st iin OHL Scoring.

wow hadn't seen Pouliot's stats yet. 19 points in 13 games in the OHL for someone who could have gone #2 overall isn't that great. It's only 13 games though so we will see.

I would have been ok with Brule or Johnson instead of Ryan, but Pouliot I just didn't have a good feeling about. Looks good so far for the Ducks.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
McDonald19 said:
I would have been ok with Brule or Johnson instead of Ryan, but Pouliot I just didn't have a good feeling about. Looks good so far for the Ducks.

Yeah exactly, Pouliot gives me the Matt Cullen/Mikael Holmqvist -vibes, i.e. big player who's reasonably good defensively but will not develope any offensive upside.

Way too early to make any long-term assesments though.

superjonathan

Dec 18, 2003
london, uk
it's only been quiet to those who haven't been paying attention. ;)

he's been amazing. he was all over the ice against brampton last weekend.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Bobby Ryan is just a good hockey player. He always seems to kill London every time they meet. He's obviously going to play at the WJ's this year, after getting the snub last year, then he'll be able to show case his talent against the best.

If he matures into the type of player he's projected to be, the Ducks are going to be laughing 4 years from now.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
RUSqueelin said:
Bobby Ryan is just a good hockey player. He always seems to kill London every time they meet. He's obviously going to play at the WJ's this year, after getting the snub last year, then he'll be able to show case his talent against the best.

How is it a snub to leave a 17-year-old off an under-19 team? I wouldn't have picked Ryan last year.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I never really understood the love affair with Pouliot last year.... Bust written all over him IMO.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
sec17 said:
How is it a snub to leave a 17-year-old off an under-19 team? I wouldn't have picked Ryan last year.

Snub as in not even considered for a spot. If he played in the US program rather than in the O, he would have had the "opportunity" and at least the chance to showcase his stuff. It seems like US players playing in Canadian need to be overwelming choices for them to not be ignored.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005

Ryan was not taken because he turned down the program, just as Saginetti was not invited to Lake Placid this past summer for going to the O.H.L. If I recall there wer a couple of 17 year olds on the team last year. The politics at that level exist and and are a disgrace.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Rounder said:

Ryan was not taken because he turned down the program, just as Saginetti was not invited to Lake Placid this past summer for going to the O.H.L. If I recall there wer a couple of 17 year olds on the team last year. The politics at that level exist and and are a disgrace.

While politics play a role, IMO age is more a factor. The U.S. likes to take an "older" group, which favors the NCAA.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
markov` said:
I always disliked Benoit Pouliot, and got bashed because of that. Same with Andrew Ladd. So far it seems that at the end of the day, neither of them will have impact in the NHL.

Isn't it a little bit too early???

Transported Upstater

Rabid Ranger said:
While politics play a role, IMO age is more a factor. The U.S. likes to take an "older" group, which favors the NCAA.

Agreed.

And also, age playing a factor is certainly not a unique tract to the American team.

Remember how Sidney Crosby was buried deep on the bench at the 2004 WJC's? I know he was 16, but he was better than many of the players above him yet still was on the 4th line. (Maybe 3rd.) He was obviously better than many of the players above him.

And if the US World Junior team has a bias against CHLers, it is no more real than the bias of the Canadian team against NCAA'ers.

Neither one is a bias.
But both of them involve less natural exposure to their home environment, and as a result will most likely not be scoured as deeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad