Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Ryan played this well consistently no one would have a bad thing to say about him. Up to this point he hasn't earned his contract. Can you expect Ryan to play with this type of effort for the rest of his contract? Each season he disappeared in the second half like this season.

2013-14 : $5,562,500 = 0.69 PPG
2014-15 : $5,562,500 = 0.69 PPG
2015-16 : $6,500,000 = 0.69 PPG
2016-17 : $7,000,000 = 0.40 PPG

That is the first season that he didn't earn his contract and a lot of reasons can explain it : constant injuries, lower TOI, defensive system, didn't have MacArthur all year and had to play with Dzingel (who has little finish and not much playmaking, aka a 3rd liner) and Turris who outside of scoring goals wasn't that great this year. His mom also died from cancer, he had his first child born, and that's the adversity we know about

But from 2013-14 to 2015-16, Ryan has only been outscored by 56 forwards, which means he would have been the 2nd best forward on the average median team. And that's despite struggling with injuries down the stretch.

Comparing Ryan to Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman doesn't do anything, they are better. Sens are lucky to have them, they are elite* or close to it.

* For me, elite means top-10 at their position, i.e. Hoffman as LW and Stone as RW

Ryan has not produced enough this season and deserves criticism, but if only people could be reasonable. It's not like he didn't produce because he doesn't care or take it seriously. There is several factors that played against him. Everyone could have a worst career year. It could also happen to Mark Stone or Kyle Turris (well last year people excused him because of an injury)

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
2013-14 : $5,562,500 = 0.69 PPG
2014-15 : $5,562,500 = 0.69 PPG
2015-16 : $6,500,000 = 0.69 PPG
2016-17 : $7,000,000 = 0.40 PPG

That is the first season that he didn't earn his contract and a lot of reasons can explain it : constant injuries, lower TOI, defensive system, didn't have MacArthur all year and had to play with Dzingel (who has little finish and not much playmaking, aka a 3rd liner) and Turris who outside of scoring goals wasn't that great this year. His mom also died from cancer, he had his first child born, and that's the adversity we know about

But from 2013-14 to 2015-16, Ryan has only been outscored by 56 forwards, which means he would have been the 2nd best forward on the average median team. And that's despite struggling with injuries down the stretch.

Comparing Ryan to Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman doesn't do anything, they are better. Sens are lucky to have them, they are elite* or close to it.

* For me, elite means top-10 at their position, i.e. Hoffman as LW and Stone as RW

Ryan has not produced enough this season and deserves criticism, but if only people could be reasonable. It's not like he didn't produce because he doesn't care or take it seriously. There is several factors that played against him. Everyone could have a worst career year. It could also happen to Mark Stone or Kyle Turris (well last year people excused him because of an injury)

Totally agree ... and just to add to this here are his first two years of his $5.5m AAv contract with the Ducks.

2011-12: $5,562,500 = 0.70 PPG
2012-13 : $5,562,500 = 0.64 PPG

Other than this season and his big season in 2010-11 (71 points) you pretty much know what you are going to get with Bobby Ryan. He would need to go on a ridiculous scoring streak to in these playoffs to get his PPG number up for this season as a whole, but something like 13 points in 19 playoff games would give him his career average over a big enough sample to quiet most critics. Hopefully the Senators can stay in long enough for him to prove he can still produce over that sort of stretch.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Totally agree ... and just to add to this here are his first two years of his $5.5m AAv contract with the Ducks.

2011-12: $5,562,500 = 0.70 PPG
2012-13 : $5,562,500 = 0.64 PPG

Other than this season and his big season in 2010-11 (71 points) you pretty much know what you are going to get with Bobby Ryan. He would need to go on a ridiculous scoring streak to in these playoffs to get his PPG number up for this season as a whole, but something like 13 points in 19 playoff games would give him his career average over a big enough sample to quiet most critics. Hopefully the Senators can stay in long enough for him to prove he can still produce over that sort of stretch.
And he disappears in the second half of each season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And he disappears in the second half of each season.

I honestly don't know how people like you get out of bed in the morning. the constant negativity must be mind numbing. good luck with it. hope it works out for you

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I honestly don't know how people like you get out of bed in the morning. the constant negativity must be mind numbing. good luck with it. hope it works out for you

Lol. This is why I avoid the GDT, and even this board in general quite a bit. So much negativity.

I'll admit that I'm a big homer in many ways, but its a fun part of being a fan for me. I don't like crapping on my own teams players and management unnecessarily. It gets me down.

Anyways, big Bobby Ryan is most certainly making a statement in the playoffs. The Sens only chance at success is by guys like Ryan and Brassard living up to their potentials, and they are ****ing nailing it so far.

So, so awesome to see him show us that we still have an impact player in him, and that he can do it when it counts the most. All is forgotten in the regular season in my mind.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I didn't get to watch the game fully tonight due to a tournament, but I saw him have his finger(s) attended to. Re-aggravated injury?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
For a streaky scorer, I was optimistic it will come sometime soon. Bobby picked a great time to start scoring again. He is paying the price to reap the benefits of his fruits, mostly apples of the Karlsson variety.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
There's no "I told you so" to be said here, Bobby had an awful season by any measure. He's redeemed himself so far and anyone with two eyes can see that, including me, but that doesn't erase his multiple disappearing acts throughout his years here.

I just hope he keeps this momentum going in the short and long term.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's no "I told you so" to be said here, Bobby had an awful season by any measure. He's redeemed himself so far and anyone with two eyes can see that, including me, but that doesn't erase his multiple disappearing acts throughout his years here.

Glad to see you're on board!

Go Bobby!

Go Sens!

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Lol. This is why I avoid the GDT, and even this board in general quite a bit. So much negativity.

I'll admit that I'm a big homer in many ways, but its a fun part of being a fan for me. I don't like crapping on my own teams players and management unnecessarily. It gets me down.

Anyways, big Bobby Ryan is most certainly making a statement in the playoffs. The Sens only chance at success is by guys like Ryan and Brassard living up to their potentials, and they are ****ing nailing it so far.

So, so awesome to see him show us that we still have an impact player in him, and that he can do it when it counts the most. All is forgotten in the regular season in my mind.

I often forget about this board. It is a lot nicer watching the games without other peoples opinions involved.

Bobby has been a gem in this first series.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I've said it before, and I'll said it again. He's a very emotional player. You can tell just by the way he talks in interviews, how he conducts himself, how he plays. I never bought the "he doesn't care" angle. I think it's the opposite, and he gets too hard on himself, and it affects his game when he hits a rough patch. Boucher, being the sports psych guy he is, has Bobby dialed in and focused right now. Boucher has been pumping his tires since he came back from injury, and he still insists that Ryan is not playing any better now than he was a couple weeks ago. The puck is just going in right now.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I've said it before, and I'll said it again. He's a very emotional player. You can tell just by the way he talks in interviews, how he conducts himself, how he plays. I never bought the "he doesn't care" angle. I think it's the opposite, and he gets too hard on himself, and it affects his game when he hits a rough patch. Boucher, being the sports psych guy he is, has Bobby dialed in and focused right now. Boucher has been pumping his tires since he came back from injury, and he still insists that Ryan is not playing any better now than he was a couple weeks ago. The puck is just going in right now.

I do agree that his struggles in the season weighed on him and it turned into a vicious cycle, but that's all in the past now. He's been the most clutch player in the past few games after Karlsson and I hope he keeps it going . The regular season is irrelevant

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I do agree that his struggles in the season weighed on him and it turned into a vicious cycle, but that's all in the past now. He's been the most clutch player in the past few games after Karlsson and I hope he keeps it going . The regular season is irrelevant
I hope there are zero excuses next season. If he doesn't put in this amount of effort from now on he is going to receive the exact same criticism.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

:nod:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

We are a good and deep team.

Brassard and Ryan are scoring a lot. Turris and Stone are quiet. That will change daily over the next weeks hopefully. And at some point everyone will be hot like EK and Hoffman.

Ryan is not Crosby and neither is Brassard (or Zibby). You have a bunch of good but streaky top sixers because only a handful of great players are not streaky. Those guys get in the HHOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad