Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part V - Consistently Inconsistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Since 2008, out of 629 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is tied for 38th with Hossa, Sharp and Tyler Johnson for points/60

Since 2008, out of 629 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is 24th for goals/60

Since 2008, out of 657 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 50th for points/60

Since 2008, out of 657 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 34th for goals/60

I don't think you achieve that by being weak physically and mentally.

================================================

Now has he been that bad in Ottawa?

Since 2013, out of 400 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is tied for 65th with MacArthur, Neal and Lucic for points/60

Since 2013, out of 400 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is 113th for goals/60

Since 2013, out of 415 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 59th for points/60

Since 2013, out of 415 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 79th for goals/60

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...rds&minutes=1000&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Despite ups and downs, Bobby Ryan has statistically been a top-line forward with the Sens. He is not as prolific as he was in Anaheim but he had better linemates or he was doing it against lower competition.

His production has been fine but his goal scoring has been way down (playing with Zibanejad probably didn't help). If he could just score 5-10 more goals per season with the same assists, then it would be perfect.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So.....if his hand has been a problem all summer, why not have some sort of surgery, say...in August? He can't afford to have another disappointing year. And by disappointing, I mean his disappearing act for the last 20-30 games of the year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
His mom was dying and his wife was to give birth. He maybe felt like he couldn't be the weak link.

Either way he had his reasons. The players are human too.

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think that starting this season he becomes a perennial 25-30 goal 60 point player. Remains to be seen for how long.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think that starting this season he becomes a perennial 25-30 goal 60 point player. Remains to be seen for how long.

he is hitting 60+ points this season, unfortunately that means the ryan to philly proposals are going to be coming back real soon

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
So.....if his hand has been a problem all summer, why not have some sort of surgery, say...in August? He can't afford to have another disappointing year. And by disappointing, I mean his disappearing act for the last 20-30 games of the year.
For a guy who got a raise he has been underwhelming. His slumps are the worst on the team and still the highest paid.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
very excited for bobby and his new buddy brass this season

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
His mom was dying and his wife was to give birth. He maybe felt like he couldn't be the weak link.

Either way he had his reasons. The players are human too.

That's why I mentioned August. Do it after his mother passed away. I can't see a procedure on the hand requiring more than a day in the hospital.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Since 2008, out of 629 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is tied for 38th with Hossa, Sharp and Tyler Johnson for points/60

Since 2008, out of 629 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is 24th for goals/60

Since 2008, out of 657 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 50th for points/60

Since 2008, out of 657 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 34th for goals/60

I don't think you achieve that by being weak physically and mentally.

================================================

Now has he been that bad in Ottawa?

Since 2013, out of 400 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is tied for 65th with MacArthur, Neal and Lucic for points/60

Since 2013, out of 400 forwards with at least 1000 minutes 5v5, Ryan is 113th for goals/60

Since 2013, out of 415 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 59th for points/60

Since 2013, out of 415 forwards with at least 1000 minutes in all situations, Ryan is 79th for goals/60

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...rds&minutes=1000&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Despite ups and downs, Bobby Ryan has statistically been a top-line forward with the Sens. He is not as prolific as he was in Anaheim but he had better linemates or he was doing it against lower competition.

His production has been fine but his goal scoring has been way down (playing with Zibanejad probably didn't help). If he could just score 5-10 more goals per season with the same assists, then it would be perfect.

Throw out all the numbers you want, but the fact is those 30 game slumps in the 2nd half of every season are inexcusable. The least we can ask from Bobby is to be consistent. He might have had some injuries, but plenty of players in the NHL deal with similar issues and don't perform disappearing acts for huge chunks of time.

I'm definitely in the "show me what you got" group until he proves he can play an entire season with the Sens.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I look forward to this Bobby Ryan thread being even more toxic than the last one.

Come on HFSens, you can't rest on your laurels, here. :laugh:

Come on, Bonk.

Last year:

Last 30 games last year: 4 goals, 8 assists 12 points -7

ON PACE FULL SEASON PRODUCTION: 11 goals 33 points!!!!

Last 16 games: 0 goals 7 assists.

2 years ago:

Last 30 games: 4 goals, 13 assists, 17 points +0

ON PACE FULL SEASON PRODUCTION: 11 goals, 46 points

Last 12 games: 0 goals 4 assists.

3 years ago:

Last 30 games: 5 goals, 8 assists, 13 points -2

ON PACE FULL SEASON PRODUCTION: 12 goals 35 points!!!!

Last 16 games: 3 goals!!!!!!!!!!!! NEW RECORD

Now... this is not what we should be paying our highest paid player to do. This guy puts up average 3rd, or below average 2nd(in his best season here), line numbers in his last 30 games here for the last 3 years.

In the 2nd half of the season, and the last 3rd, this is where hockey truly matters. This is where players win their personal trophies. This is where the likes of Stone, Turris, Karlsson, Hoffman and even Zib have shown up. The only person from our top 6 to go invisible is consistently Ryan. Yet he gets paid double of what most do or even triple.

He doesn't even provide elite speed or 2 way game so the excuses are inexcusable.

This season, he must perform. Or I want him gone, and for damn good reason. ESPECIALLY since we are a budget team. If we weren't, I really wouldn't care this much. It's like spending money on food, if you have a fat wallet, you don't really keep track of your spending, but when you don't make a whole lot, you gotta get rid of the fat juicy looking steak for a can of tuna that could probably provide you with similar protein. This guy is getting paid 1st line money and performing 3rd line production when it matters most. This is unusual too because in Anaheim he was streaky, yes, but also streaky in clutch situations/moments.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When he was traded here it was for a 'Larger Role" - to be a top line winger with Spezza - no chemistry with Spezza. No Chemistry with Zibby, No chemistry with Turris. Ryan isn't a player that makes things happen - in the words of USA hockey - he's a "sleepy player"

What happens on the ice isn't a lie. If you don't see Bobby Ryan involved in plays (which you rarely do) then there's a reason for that. It isn't Zibby's fault, it's not because there are to many right shots on the ice, it's because he doesn't engage.

Bryan Murray last summer said "I told Bobby to go home and get into shape" - THAT'S YOUR HIGHEST PAID PLAYER AND A PLAYER YOU REDEFINED YOUR FRANCHISE FOR.

This is a how me year for Ryan - I expect much of the same, but there is still a chance for him to do something in Ottawa to prove he was worth the $$$ and assets

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
When he was traded here it was for a 'Larger Role" - to be a top line winger with Spezza - no chemistry with Spezza. No Chemistry with Zibby, No chemistry with Turris. Ryan isn't a player that makes things happen - in the words of USA hockey - he's a "sleepy player"

With Turris? What? The other 2 yes, but Turris? Ryan played well with him, from what i remember.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
With Turris? What? The other 2 yes, but Turris? Ryan played well with him, from what i remember.

He did play well with him, and also with MacArthur. The MTR line was a thing here. Ryan and Turris stuck because they had great chemistry, and he and Spezza had none.

It was a big part of the reasons we mutually decided to part ways with Spez.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
He did play well with him, and also with MacArthur. The MTR line was a thing here. Ryan and Turris stuck because they had great chemistry, and he and Spezza had none.

It was a big part of the reasons we mutually decided to part ways with Spez.

Wasn't also Hoffman-Turris-Ryan good last year before an injurys happened?

Zach Smith and more goals then Bobby Ryan last year. Ryan had 18 goals the year before - brutal.

Yeah ok, but that doesn't answer the question why you put Turris in there.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wasn't also Hoffman-Turris-Ryan good last year before an injurys happened?

Yeah ok, but that doesn't answer the question why you put Turris in there.

If you have good chemistry with someone how can you score 18 goals? Every year Ryan has an excuse - right shot center, hurt my hand, in Anaheim after the trade it was all about his mono, he was left of team USA, coach was mean to him.

When is this guy just going to do his job? You can't tell me he had good chemistry with Turris when he put up 18 goals an NHL season. That's a joke.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Boucher famously said he wants his players to develop their natural strengths 80% of the time, and round out their game 20% of the time. More snipes, more behind-the-back toe drags. Bobby is coming in hot.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
If you have good chemistry with someone how can you score 18 goals? Every year Ryan has an excuse - right shot center, hurt my hand, in Anaheim after the trade it was all about his mono, he was left of team USA, coach was mean to him.

When is this guy just going to do his job? You can't tell me he had good chemistry with Turris when he put up 18 goals an NHL season. That's a joke.

You watch the Sens or what?

They almost didn't played together last year! Turris and Stone was our first line. And rightfully so. But when they did, they were playing well together.

Our first line was Hoffman-Turris-Stone, than if a remember correctly, Stone got Suspend and Hoffman-Turris-Ryan became our first line. Stone was place with Zibanejad after his suspension.

I'm not defending Ryan. He has to produce more. That's a fact. But don't write crap like Ryan has no chemistry with Turris. That's is simply false, regardless of the stats.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Being left off the Olympic team and world cup team, never being voted to play in the allstar game are all red flags. He was brought in to be an offensive leader and not just one of the guys.

Ryan creates chemistry problems. Every player who played with Spezza had a career season at some point except Ryan.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You watch the Sens or what?

They almost didn't played together last year! Turris and Stone was our first line. And rightfully so. But when they did, they are playing well together.

Our first line was Hoffman-Turris-Stone, than if a remember correctly, Stone got Suspend and Hoffman-Turris-Ryan became our first line. Stone was place with Zibanejad after his suspension.

I'm not defending Ryan. He has to produce more. That's a fact. But don't write crap like Ryan has no chemistry with Turris. That's is simply false, regardless of the stats.

Okay Bobby Ryan has great chemistry with Kyle Turris - now explain why he's put up his lowest goal and point totals since arriving in Ottawa? Watched him him with Mc and Turris, he didn't impress me at all.

Ryan is averaging 21 goals a year since he came here. If he has good chemistry, is this as good as he gets?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What are you talking about? He played with Turris his first season with Ottawa, and they had great chemistry. MacArthur Turris and Ryan was easily our best line that year. His 2nd year, when he scored 18 goals, he barely played with Turris at all, lining up with Zibanejad instead. In that role, he seemed to take on the playmaker designation. This year, he played mostly with Zibanejad, and a bit with Turris after the Turris sprained his ankle.

So, actually, yes, we can tell you he had good chemistry with Turris his first year here when he only scored 18 goals playing with Zibanejad the following year, as the two things have nothing to do with one another.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Okay Bobby Ryan has great chemistry with Kyle Turris - now explain why he's put up his lowest goal and point totals since arriving in Ottawa? Watched him him with Mc and Turris, he didn't impress me at all.

Ryan is averaging 21 goals a year since he came here. If he has good chemistry, is this as good as he gets?

Well that's explain why you said they didn't have chemistry. Thank you for answering. You have the right to think that if you are not impress by them. But that doesn't mean they have no chemistry in reality.

Also, I haven't said they had GREAT chemistry. They aren't Seguin-Benn chemistry lite. Marchand-Bergeron chemistry lite. But they have chemistry.

Now is it all this chemistry will produce? maybe, but what are the number for you to consider chemistry? Me personnaly, i watched the game to figured if i think someone has chemistry or not. Number isn't all that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad