Rumor: Bobby Ryan not exempt from expansion draft | Ryan talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Yea, it's not even close how much better Dzingel is compared to Ryan. Dzingel may lack finish but he still single-handily creates at least 1 point blank chance for himself every game.

Reminds me of Hoffman when he first got into NHL. Was creating chances left and right but couldn't finish. Obvi Dzingel isn't better finisher at all but the goals will come.

Tl;dr Ryan has been on a tier lower than Turris and Dzingel on that line.

This

Dzingle hit the post as Im writing this

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
So Ryan has put up a solid run of 7 points in his past 9 games.

If he maintains that for the rest of the season, that would put him around 58 points. That isn't elite, but it's also pretty decent.

Would anyone around here consider that an acceptable number based on his contract? At what point is he considered worth the $7.5M per year? Is there anything he could do to make fans want to protect him in the expansion draft?

Obviously, I don't expect him to maintain the pace, but I'd be interested to know where people would stand on what they want from him...

Problem is...

He woooooooooooooont maintain this

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I hope he maintains it, so we can still trade him for a great asset.

If he doesn't maintain it, I hope he at least finishes wih 45ish points so that LV will pick him up.

Time to cut ties with this guy asap, not in the current season tho, even tho we want him gone we cant replace his production, unless we do him for similar roster player, but he should be gonzo in the off-season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ryan had a couple of plays last night that should have resulted in primary assists.

But I also noticed last night that he had 2 clear shots where his release was not impacted and the velocity on those shots didn't look better than my beer league. I am starting to wonder if the accumulation of all those broken fingers has resulted in him not being able to shoot anymore.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I got thinking more about Bobby Ryan, his contract and his utilization

In 2015 / 16 Ryan's stats

ice time 26th
points 14th
PP ice time 12th
PP points 15th

pretty much spot on middle of the pack 1st line right winger numbers, arguably he was outproducing his icetime a bit

in 2016 / 17

ice time 43rd
points 42nd
PP ice time 37th
PP points 40th

pretty much spot on middle of the pack 2nd line numbers and his production is clearly in line with his utilization

We all crap on Bobby for needing to produce more but the numbers kind of say that he is producing at the level he is being utilized. He's not getting a lot of PP time and most of what he does get starts with possession in our end from a clearing attempt so the team needs to gain possession first.

Thinking more about it, the 2 guys in our forward corps that get crapped on the most are the two guys that have seen the biggest negative changes to their ice time and utilization: Ryan and Lazar.

In terms of the tradability of his contract, I'm sure GMs and his agent are pretty familiar with his utilization and changes in it.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I am starting to wonder if the accumulation of all those broken fingers has resulted in him not being able to shoot anymore.
I noticed the same thing. Those wristers had nothing on them. If he has no shop anymore, and is only able to work in tight for the foreseeable future, that's gonna really limit his ability to produce and be effective. Lots of goals come from in tight, but many also come from the circles and half wall...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I should have noted those stats I posted are from the NHL site sorted by right wingers and for this year I used a 30 game filter.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Obviously Bobby is overpaid, but man he really does come across as mature and a leader in his interviews.

Just listening to today's interview where he was talking about Dzingel, he sounded almost like a proud parent. It's going to be good for the American kids coming up in the system to have a personable guy like Ryan that they can relate with, and can bounce ideas off of him and whatnot.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Obviously Bobby is overpaid, but man he really does come across as mature and a leader in his interviews.

Just listening to today's interview where he was talking about Dzingel, he sounded almost like a proud parent. It's going to be good for the American kids coming up in the system to have a personable guy like Ryan that they can relate with, and can bounce ideas off of him and whatnot.

I think he will be for American young guys like Alfredson was for the young Swedes.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I noticed the same thing. Those wristers had nothing on them. If he has no shop anymore, and is only able to work in tight for the foreseeable future, that's gonna really limit his ability to produce and be effective. Lots of goals come from in tight, but many also come from the circles and half wall...

I do think that his injuries have slowed him - hands AND feet. I'm sure there are plenty of times during games he knows what he should do, where he should be, and how to execute but the body is just letting him down. It's a tough league. It's a tough game.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If Ryan plays consistently like he has the past like 15 games for the duration of his contract I'm fine. Not a gamebreaker. But good. Not terrible anywhere.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
But I also noticed last night that he had 2 clear shots where his release was not impacted and the velocity on those shots didn't look better than my beer league. I am starting to wonder if the accumulation of all those broken fingers has resulted in him not being able to shoot anymore.

It's must be so frustrating for him.

His first season he was sniping from the wall coming down the wing or wiring it if he ever got to the slot but now he floats shots in there.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's must be so frustrating for him.

His first season he was sniping from the wall coming down the wing or wiring it if he ever got to the slot but now he floats shots in there.
Guys on the radio say we are basically stuck with him for a while so there isn't really anything anyone can do. He just has to want to play a lot better. Can't sit the guy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What sucks for Ryan is that no one is putting him in a great position to score like he is consistently putting others in. The kind of pass that Hoffman received I mean (when Lehner flashed the leather)

And yes his shot is not as dangerous as before. Hopefully his hands heal up or something. He is definitely the 3rd best passer on the team after Karlsson and Stone. He makes a lot of nifty little plays in the offensive zone. But for him to produce more, you need to put him with a creative playmaker and a "banger", aka a strong body good on the forecheck who can score (like JVR).

He could actually really help out a team in need of skill and finesse but the problem would be cap hit. If the Sens would retain 1.5 (bringing to down to 5.75), they could actually get a good return. Or the Sens would have to accept a cap dump to offset the "overpayment"

still not worth 7.25

maybe 4 mil

lol "Maybe" 4 mil

Brian Bickell makes 4 mil... Here's the list of forwards on pure UFA years making between 3.5 and 5.0 :

Marian Gaborik $4,875,000
Ryane Clowe $4,850,000
Scott Hartnell $4,750,000
Carl Soderberg $4,750,000
Jori Lehtera $4,700,000
Clarke MacArthur $4,650,000
Tyler Ennis $4,600,000
R.J. Umberger $4,600,000
Artem Anisimov $4,550,000
Troy Brouwer $4,500,000
Brooks Laich $4,500,000
Alexandre Burrows $4,500,000
Nazem Kadri $4,500,000
Alex Killorn $4,450,000
Mike Fisher $4,400,000
Brandon Sutter $4,375,000
Drew Stafford $4,350,000
Michael Frolik $4,300,000
Justin Abdelkader $4,250,000
Craig Smith $4,250,000
Brian Gionta $4,250,000
Tyler Bozak $4,200,000
Nikolai Kulemin $4,187,500
Jussi Jokinen $4,000,000
Ales Hemsky $4,000,000
Carl Hagelin $4,000,000
Bryan Bickell $4,000,000
Benoit Pouliot $4,000,000
Mikkel Boedker $4,000,000
Jaromir Jagr $4,000,000
Milan Michalek $4,000,000
Colin Wilson $3,937,500
Shane Doan $3,876,134
Darren Helm $3,850,000
Chris Kunitz $3,850,000
Matt Beleskey $3,800,000
David Perron $3,750,000
Pascal Dupuis $3,750,000
Patrik Berglund $3,700,000
Matt Read $3,625,000

I think you need to study the market a little bit more...

So I didn't list world beaters like Eakin, Shaw, Bjugstad, etc who already make that kind of coin on their RFA years.

Ryan has always been a productive top-6 forward. In today's NHL, that's easily worth north of 5 mil per year. You have not been paying attention enough if you don't know that already

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Except Michalek could play a 3rd or 4th line role as his game declined

Plus Michalek never made 7 million a year. Speaking of Milo, I wonder if he gets traded before the deadline. The Leafs aren't using him, so even a pair of gym socks would be a good offer. Gives him a chance to rejuvenate his NHL career. I hope for his sake he gets traded. He's not an AHL player.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Plus Michalek never made 7 million a year. Speaking of Milo, I wonder if he gets traded before the deadline. The Leafs aren't using him, so even a pair of gym socks would be a good offer. Gives him a chance to rejuvenate his NHL career. I hope for his sake he gets traded. He's not an AHL player.
At this point in his career maybe he is an AHLer.
He had a decent NHL career and a great season in his contract year. After that he slowly fell off the map. Similar to Ryan except Ryan didn't have a great contact year but got the money anyways.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
and buffalo got okposo for free

he is better than ryan

If Ottawa was actually capable of attracting the best UFAs in their prime (and have the money to spend to the cap and even bury a player or take on salary in a trade), they could actually be a contender already.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Okposo-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Pyatt-Kelly/Lazar-Wingels
Neil

Contending forward group. Actually, if MacArthur was never concussed and was still in his prime, we'd have close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad